F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel system cleaning

Old 04-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Default Fuel system cleaning

I have a 04 cbr600 f4i that won't start. It has a power commander and fmf slip on. Its been sitting for two years with fuel in it. I plan on changing the oil and filter, putting fresh fuel in it, changing the air filter, new plugs and new battery along with cleaning the fuel system? Is there a good way to clean injectors without sending them out? Is there an in tank filter that needs to be cleaned? In line fuel filter? What else should be done?

Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 AM
Welcome Crew Technician

First of all. Was the tank completely full with fuel this whole time? Smell the fuel, was a stored additive used? Does it smell bad? Did you try to turn it over with that fuel in it? If it wasnt full then is there rust in the tank? What is the fuel level? When you turn the key on does the fuel pump prime? Secondly, you will start by draining all of that fuel. You are going to be hard pressed in getting it all out. Do your best to get it out. Then check tank for corrosion. If that all checks out I would undo the fuel pump housing underneath. That is where your fuel pump and fuel filter, as well as a return line filter that looks like a brillo pad all reside. If the pump works then when you get it out of the tank. Hardwire it to a battery and turn it on to pump remaining fuel out of it. You may be able to get away with not changing the fuel filter right now. Not sure, check its condition.

After you drained the fuel and are confident you got it all out go get some Lucas oil upper cylinder head fuel treatment. They come in variety of sizes but a 4 oz. bottle will work for now. You could also get some seafoam. But I honestly like the Lucas treatment. The 4 oz bottle treats up to 25 gallons but you can use a bit more, it will not hurt. I would put a gallon or so in and a little under a quarter bottle and let it run for a while. The Lucas or Seafoam will force through injectors and clean those as well as it can. Should be all it needs. Many bikes including my own sat with bad gas. Just needs a cleaning. Would help if you didnt suck all that fuel when you were trying to start it. See if this makes it run good. Hopefully the tank isnt rusted because if its too bad you may need a new one. Post back if you have any other questions.

-Poss

Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

I prefer Techron for cleaning. The Techron is not a lubricant at all, it is a heavy duty injector cleaner that works very well. UCL on the other hand is a lubricant and fuel dispersant with some minor cleaning abilities. So depending on what your looking to do.... Also now the only thing I use Seafoam for is to add to the oil before I replace it and for storage but thats it.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 AM

Do you mean you add seafoam to the oil before you drain the oil?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 AM
"A"

I use SeaFoam, add to fresh fuel, run the bike for 10 miles, let it sit overnight and ride the bike thru the rest of the tank of fuel.. that usually does the trick for my F4i for springtime fuel system cleaning after having it sit over (3-to-8) winter months.

If your fuel system has kept fuel for over 9 months, may require more cleaning than method above.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I View Post
First of all. Was the tank completely full with fuel this whole time? Smell the fuel, was a stored additive used? Does it smell bad? Did you try to turn it over with that fuel in it? If it wasnt full then is there rust in the tank? What is the fuel level? When you turn the key on does the fuel pump prime? Secondly, you will start by draining all of that fuel. You are going to be hard pressed in getting it all out. Do your best to get it out. Then check tank for corrosion. If that all checks out I would undo the fuel pump housing underneath. That is where your fuel pump and fuel filter, as well as a return line filter that looks like a brillo pad all reside. If the pump works then when you get it out of the tank. Hardwire it to a battery and turn it on to pump remaining fuel out of it. You may be able to get away with not changing the fuel filter right now. Not sure, check its condition.

After you drained the fuel and are confident you got it all out go get some Lucas oil upper cylinder head fuel treatment. They come in variety of sizes but a 4 oz. bottle will work for now. You could also get some seafoam. But I honestly like the Lucas treatment. The 4 oz bottle treats up to 25 gallons but you can use a bit more, it will not hurt. I would put a gallon or so in and a little under a quarter bottle and let it run for a while. The Lucas or Seafoam will force through injectors and clean those as well as it can. Should be all it needs. Many bikes including my own sat with bad gas. Just needs a cleaning. Would help if you didnt suck all that fuel when you were trying to start it. See if this makes it run good. Hopefully the tank isnt rusted because if its too bad you may need a new one. Post back if you have any other questions.

-Poss
The tank is mostly full of fuel. I am assuming there was no additive added when it was parked two years ago. The PO tried to start the bike with the fuel in it last summer with no luck. The fuel pump does cycle when the key is on.

My plan is to pull the fuel in line off of the rail and cycle the pump to see if fuel comes out to give me an idea if i have to pull the injectors. Then i will pull the tank and pump and clean them. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! I will report back when I have time to tear into the bike.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Ill be honest bud, you should just drain it now. And refill with new gas then try cycling it through the system. You can just leave all of that connected as well and pull a plug to see if its getting to the cylinder afterwards. That way you can knock out 2 birds with one stone. (Check for spark) Pulling the line off, I am assuming you mean the other end of the line with the banjo that connects to the fuel rail, is only going to show you that fuel can pump out of the tank. Not sure what you mean in regards to checking the injectors, fuel wont be making it that far if you pull that line?! You would have to litterly try starting it to see if the injectors were clogged. (Again this is assuming if you want to see if they NEED cleaned, when in reality regardless after this many years, they do.) In all reality, you need to get some cleaner through them, or even see at this point if fuel flows through them. So long as the FPR is working properly, and nothing is clogged up, with new fuel (with cleaner) would make the bike fire and it would sound properly. If it does not then you can start breaking down the delivery system and diagnosing your problem. The reason I asked about the rust and such is if it was in that condition and those particulates were forced through a possibly clogged filter and made its way past to clog the injectors, then you can reasonably assume that it is in fact the injectors that need cleaning or or stuck open/closed. Define the fuel condition that the PO used, because who knows how many times he tried turning it over. Ultimately, I feel this is your end goal anyways, to determine if there is any issue, and then followed up by a thorough cleaning of the delivery system. Because in fact, this may be the reason for the no start, it could also not be. Regardless its a cleansing that is necessary. Has the PO done any electrical work or any work on the bike, would help in determining why it wont start.

Last edited by PossibleOne; 04-08-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I View Post
Ill be honest bud, you should just drain it now. And refill with new gas then try cycling it through the system. You can just leave all of that connected as well and pull a plug to see if its getting to the cylinder afterwards. That way you can knock out 2 birds with one stone. (Check for spark) Pulling the line off, I am assuming you mean the other end of the line with the banjo that connects to the fuel rail, is only going to show you that fuel can pump out of the tank. Not sure what you mean in regards to checking the injectors, fuel wont be making it that far if you pull that line?! You would have to litterly try starting it to see if the injectors were clogged. (Again this is assuming if you want to see if they NEED cleaned, when in reality regardless after this many years, they do.) In all reality, you need to get some cleaner through them, or even see at this point if fuel flows through them. So long as the FPR is working properly, and nothing is clogged up, with new fuel (with cleaner) would make the bike fire and it would sound properly. If it does not then you can start breaking down the delivery system and diagnosing your problem. The reason I asked about the rust and such is if it was in that condition and those particulates were forced through a possibly clogged filter and made its way past to clog the injectors, then you can reasonably assume that it is in fact the injectors that need cleaning or or stuck open/closed. Define the fuel condition that the PO used, because who knows how many times he tried turning it over. Ultimately, I feel this is your end goal anyways, to determine if there is any issue, and then followed up by a thorough cleaning of the delivery system. Because in fact, this may be the reason for the no start, it could also not be. Regardless its a cleansing that is necessary. Has the PO done any electrical work or any work on the bike, would help in determining why it wont start.
My thoughts on pulling the line off the rail way to see if the pump was getting fuel to the injectors. If there is fuel at the rail, then there is fuel at the injectors. No fuel at rail, no fuel at injectors. I will probably drain it all right away like you said then try to fire it with fresh gas and seafoam (makes more sense). As far as I know, there hasn't been any major electrical work done, just undertail, flush mounts, and power commander. Nothing that should affect starting imo.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:19 PM

Well I got around to working on the bike finally. I first pulled the tank and emptied it. Gas did smell bad but everything was clean inside. I went ahead and cleaned the in tank filter anyways. I checked spark and had it on all cylinders. I cleaned the plugs and reset the gap. I sprayed some carb cleaned in the throttle bodies and it fired. I put it all back together and put a mix of seafoam and premium in. I turned it over a few times to get the mixture in the fuel system. I then let it sit until the following day. Tried to start it and nothing, not even firing. After that, I figured I would disconnect the power commander for the heck of it and try to start it, before I went ahead and pulled the injectors. After I disconnected the PC, the thing started right up and ran good So needless to say, there must be something wrong with my PC. The thing had power and lit up the entire time. I currently have it out of the bike and am going to look for any open wires. If I cant find anything, I will call dynojet and get their opinion. Does anyone know if I have to start the bike while the fuel pump if priming when using the PC? any ideas?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by wirider View Post
Does anyone know if I have to start the bike while the fuel pump if priming when using the PC?
You shouldn't have to start it any differently when the PC is plugged in than you would when it isn't.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel system cleaning

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.