F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel Reserve Bars: Do they countdown by 4 or 8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Reserve Bars: Do they countdown by 4 or 8?

OK So everyone seems to think that once all 4 of your bars start flashing, you're about to run out of gas...

BUT

I've also heard that once all 4 of your bars flash, they will start disappearing, one by one as they flash. That way, it actually counts down 8 bars, which makes sense, since I always put in about 4 gallons when all 4 are flashing.

Anyone know the real story? It's not in the owners manual.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Default RE: Fuel Reserve Bars: Do they countdown by 4 or 8?

All four bars start to flash and then three, then two, then 1. Thats how it should be.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:45 PM

When the reserve comes on you have four non-flashing bars. The firstbar then starts flashing, then the top two are flashing, then the top three, then they all four flash...I've never ran it below that and I was pretty sure it said in the manual that you are on fumes when they all four flash. Just my .02

Old 10-12-2008, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: firemanron

All four bars start to flash and then three, then two, then 1. Thats how it should be.
Yeah I know it goes from 1 flashing, then 2 flashing, then 3 flashing, then all 4 flashing. But what i'm asking if it counts down again after that? 1,2,3,4, and then, 3, 2, 1... empty. I've heard quite a few people say that it does. But they could have been full of $hit.

In other words, if all 4 bars are flashing, are you only halfway thru your reserve? Is it a rumor?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, just the 4 solids at first, then 1,2,3,and 4 start flashing as you go along. All 4 will stay flashing just the same until you either run out of gas (I've done it twice, lol) or you fill up. If you fill up within several miles after all 4 start flashing, it will take 3.9 gallons to fill it up. The manual is very conservative in their measurement of 0.9 gal left after the reserve bars initially come on. But if you fill up right after the 4th bar starts flashing, it is indeed 0.9 left in the tank, according to the specified capacity

Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 PM

Thanks Jared. I was waiting for someone to chime in who's ran out of gas. [&:]

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

If you fill up within several miles after all 4 start flashing, it will take 3.9 gallons to fill it up.
why do they even bother telling us about the .9 of reserve fuel? It's useless anyway... [:@]

Old 10-13-2008, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

Nope, just the 4 solids at first, then 1,2,3,and 4 start flashing as you go along. All 4 will stay flashing just the same until you either run out of gas (I've done it twice, lol) or you fill up. If you fill up within several miles after all 4 start flashing, it will take 3.9 gallons to fill it up. The manual is very conservative in their measurement of 0.9 gal left after the reserve bars initially come on. But if you fill up right after the 4th bar starts flashing, it is indeed 0.9 left in the tank, according to the specified capacity
+1 I've ran out of gas before. This is how it goes. Anybody who says otherwise is full of it haha.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once all4 are flashing they will start from top down again till you have none flashing. If your bike is running out before that, then your reserve switch is set incorrectly. I commute on mine everyday, and get in the bottom half of reserve weekly.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:12 PM
July 2008 ROTM

It WILL start counting down again AFTER all four bars are flashing. I've seen it with my own two eyes. Hell, my bike is nearly out of gas, I could go take a video and prove it to you right now.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Yeah take a video. I know a lot of people have said this in the past. Think we need to see it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Reserve Bars: Do they countdown by 4 or 8?