F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

fuel Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel Filter?

was riding the other day. The bike was hesitating at all points i had to push to get the bike to do 80. I reliezed something was wrong so i started to crawl the bike home. On top of a bridge it died once pulled over i reliezed my fuel pump was not priming. Let the bike sit for a little while and tryed again and was able to get it started. It was sputtering and dieing as if not enough fuel was getting to the engine. Could the fuel filter keep the pump from not working for a small time period.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's one possibility, that's inexpensive to check/replace. Never hurts, even if it's not
the issue, you can still feel good, chalking it up to routine (often neglected) maintenance.

Other potential source...check the r/r and harness connector. If it's burnt/showing heat-damage,
as it heats up, it could be choking current to the ignition.

Ern

Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 AM

pump may be getting to hot and shutting off or something, if it stopped working and worked after u let it sit that would be my guess, because if the fuel filter was clogged and it was bad enough to stop it from working it wouldnt work after you let it sit...i would check the pump, and like Mad said check the r/r and harness! good luck man

Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the fuel filter was bad, your pump would still prime. I would double check the electrical, and make sure that all the switches and sensors are clean and in good condition first. next time the pump doesn't prime, check to see if the pump is getting any juice (voltage). if there's current and it doesn't prime, then your pump is bad.

the fuel filter is a pain to remove but easy to test. If you can blow air through it with little resistance then it's good.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 AM

Not sure if it was super hot that day because my old bike(yamaha wr250x) had a issue with the fuel pump propellers. whenever if was real hot outside the bike wouldn't run the greatest and sometimes would sputter and turn off. I did some research and the solution was that the fuel pumps propellers swell when it was extremly hot outside and that was the issue. im new to the f4i so im not sure if anyone has had this issue before but u could look into it.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 PM

well i got the fuel filter in the bike and its running a little better but it wasnt the problem i believe there might be a grounding issue some where. When i shift i will get my brights light and the light next to illuminate for a flicker. Nothing major just something i was noticing. Also when i went for the test drive the bike seemed to stall almost. It felt like there was no combustion in the engine and my F1 light came on for about 15 seconds. But the semi stall was only for about a second engine never died. Is there any common grounding issues i should start with or is it just going to looking for a needle in a stack of hay.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 PM

I would definitely check the reg/rec next then. If not that it could be the stator beginning to fail.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by lashleyftl
well i got the fuel filter in the bike and its running a little better but it wasnt the problem i believe there might be a grounding issue some where. When i shift i will get my brights light and the light next to illuminate for a flicker. Nothing major just something i was noticing. Also when i went for the test drive the bike seemed to stall almost. It felt like there was no combustion in the engine and my F1 light came on for about 15 seconds. But the semi stall was only for about a second engine never died. Is there any common grounding issues i should start with or is it just going to looking for a needle in a stack of hay.
just behind your fuel tank there is a cluster of grounds going to the frame. make sure they are tight. also check BOTH battery terminals and clean them, take them off and clean battery terminals and the wires. make sure they are tight, so many times there will be a loose ground or positive which will screw up everything. also, if your brights are cumming on or the light is just comming on that should not be a ground but something powering them up? Oh yeah, there is another ground on the left side of the bike about mid way down the tank in the main wiring harness. you might need to lift the tank to get to it and the left fairing. it will look like a bulge in the wiring harness all taped up, it is just a plug that all the grounds travel through, you could nu-plug that and make sure it is clean then put some dielectric grease on it plug it back in an tape it back up, good luck