F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

FS1/F4i Clutch Replacement Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FS1/F4i Clutch Replacement Issues

Folks, long time no posts.... I had forgotten my details and ended up in another Honda forum, couldn't remember if it was this one, been so long.... long story short, I'm having issues with the above.

Swapped the OE clutch for an EBC SRK kit after 26,000m and a couple of years track use, got some slippage in the end.... looks like Motul 300V not so keen on the old clutch plates but also, the springs and plates are on their way too... combination of it all certain the GP212 tyres didn't help.

Stayed up late last night to fit the clutch, probably too late, too tired.... thought all the plates were the same and fired them in, by 50/50 chance I stuck the large ID plate in behind the diaphragm plate and torqued up. Couldn't get the clutch to work and went to bed.... stripped in the morning and realised what I'd done.

Swapped them about, better! Still got issues with clutch drag...

The EBC heavy duty springs in the kit are 4mm longer than the new OE ones, put them in.... lots of drag.

Old springs are 0.2mm off the service limit (43.4mm, 44.7mm new) - tried two old ones, three new, not much better, little less.

Put all the old springs in, less drag.... still a bit too much but better.

Old plates are all ~3mm, Large ID friction is burnt and the adjacent steel is scored. Friction plates smell burnt.

Missed the track tonight..... but did get the bike fired up to test the clutch out, lots of drag still. Trying to get my head round what is normal new wet clutch drag and what is a fault.... one of the guys on another Honda forum reckons that I could've bent one of the steels by putting the LIDFP in the front, from experience he did the same.... now to satisfy my curiosity / paranoia I'll be stripping it tomorrow to check the steels again... after I'd filled up with new 300V!

Anyone got any experience of the same, or other non-OE clutch kits? Length of the springs in the EBC kit is an odd one for me, +4mm is a lot over the OE ones.

Advice and feedback welcome.....

Old 07-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

It will be hard to find help as 99% of people go with the oem clutch if its ever needed, and clutches don't normally wear out without stunting or lots of people learning on them. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I remember reading about a guy w an f4i that had a similar issue, apparently EBC kits come a bit too thick and won't allow the clutch to fully disengage