F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Front suspension suggestions?

Old 03-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Default Front suspension suggestions?

Just had my front forks re-sprung with RaceTech .95's and, at 205 lbs, am looking for suggestions on where to set them for my initial ride. Everything is backed out to "soft" at this point and my inclination is to put it all in the middle and go from there. As a fairly new rider, I'm just looking for some more experienced opinions!

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM

Set the sag to the correct height, if it's adjustable. Then turn the compression and rebound screws to somewhere near the middle and dial it in from there for the roads you ride on. I think it's about 1 1/2 turns from full soft.

As a new rider, you probably won't notice much change other than having the correct springs, correct oil, and sag set for your weight. After you get a bunch of miles under your belt, you will be able to feel a difference when you play with the settings.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon View Post
Set the sag to the correct height, if it's adjustable. Then turn the compression and rebound screws to somewhere near the middle and dial it in from there for the roads you ride on. I think it's about 1 1/2 turns from full soft.

As a new rider, you probably won't notice much change other than having the correct springs, correct oil, and sag set for your weight. After you get a bunch of miles under your belt, you will be able to feel a difference when you play with the settings.
Will do! Appreciate the suggestions!

Old 03-02-2019, 09:21 PM

Don't forget to keep your front and rear suspension balanced with the rebound. If either front or rear rebounds faster or slower than the other will cause a noticeable difference is handling. If you have a wheel chock that can hold the bike up, stand on the pegs and sort of bounce down on them in a riding position. Having a mirror to watch the rebound is great, but a buddy watching works well too

Old 03-03-2019, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by sjona2011 View Post
Don't forget to keep your front and rear suspension balanced with the rebound. If either front or rear rebounds faster or slower than the other will cause a noticeable difference is handling.
Great point! Thanks!

Old 03-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Did you install a new rear spring to?

Old 03-03-2019, 12:58 PM

This might be useful for reference- I got my suspension tuned last year after fork rebuild-
I am around 75-80 KG, forks springs were 9.0 Ohlins. Fork oil was standard weight Motul.
Note the shock is Ohlins race....so unsure what would be the stock equivalent setting

Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by West kootenay rider View Post
Did you install a new rear spring to?
No. The stock rear spring is adequate for everyday use on the street riding solo most of the time.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:02 PM

No. The stock rear spring is adequate for everyday use on the street riding solo most of the time.
what about for track days?

Old 03-03-2019, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by West kootenay rider View Post
what about for track days?
Track riding is a different story. Experienced riders can spend a lot of time and money upgrading the suspension to shave seconds off lap times.

The OP is a new rider, so with just the right springs and some minor tuning should be more than enough to get going.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front suspension suggestions?

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.