CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Front suspension suggestions? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/front-suspension-suggestions-158662/)

Doc Samson 03-02-2019 11:23 AM

Front suspension suggestions?

Just had my front forks re-sprung with RaceTech .95's and, at 205 lbs, am looking for suggestions on where to set them for my initial ride. Everything is backed out to "soft" at this point and my inclination is to put it all in the middle and go from there. As a fairly new rider, I'm just looking for some more experienced opinions!

Thanks!

74demon 03-02-2019 12:11 PM

Set the sag to the correct height, if it's adjustable. Then turn the compression and rebound screws to somewhere near the middle and dial it in from there for the roads you ride on. I think it's about 1 1/2 turns from full soft.

As a new rider, you probably won't notice much change other than having the correct springs, correct oil, and sag set for your weight. After you get a bunch of miles under your belt, you will be able to feel a difference when you play with the settings.

Doc Samson 03-02-2019 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1319434)
Set the sag to the correct height, if it's adjustable. Then turn the compression and rebound screws to somewhere near the middle and dial it in from there for the roads you ride on. I think it's about 1 1/2 turns from full soft.

As a new rider, you probably won't notice much change other than having the correct springs, correct oil, and sag set for your weight. After you get a bunch of miles under your belt, you will be able to feel a difference when you play with the settings.

Will do! Appreciate the suggestions!

sjona2011 03-02-2019 09:21 PM

Don't forget to keep your front and rear suspension balanced with the rebound. If either front or rear rebounds faster or slower than the other will cause a noticeable difference is handling. If you have a wheel chock that can hold the bike up, stand on the pegs and sort of bounce down on them in a riding position. Having a mirror to watch the rebound is great, but a buddy watching works well too

Doc Samson 03-03-2019 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by sjona2011 (Post 1319444)
Don't forget to keep your front and rear suspension balanced with the rebound. If either front or rear rebounds faster or slower than the other will cause a noticeable difference is handling.

Great point! Thanks!

West kootenay rider 03-03-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1319434)

Did you install a new rear spring to?

ceebeeaarguy 03-03-2019 12:58 PM

This might be useful for reference- I got my suspension tuned last year after fork rebuild-
I am around 75-80 KG, forks springs were 9.0 Ohlins. Fork oil was standard weight Motul.
Note the shock is Ohlins race....so unsure what would be the stock equivalent setting

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/cbrforu...3782854d03.jpg

74demon 03-03-2019 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by West kootenay rider (Post 1319457)
Did you install a new rear spring to?

No. The stock rear spring is adequate for everyday use on the street riding solo most of the time.

West kootenay rider 03-03-2019 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1319466)
No. The stock rear spring is adequate for everyday use on the street riding solo most of the time.

what about for track days?

74demon 03-03-2019 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by West kootenay rider (Post 1319474)
what about for track days?

Track riding is a different story. Experienced riders can spend a lot of time and money upgrading the suspension to shave seconds off lap times.

The OP is a new rider, so with just the right springs and some minor tuning should be more than enough to get going.