F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Front Stand Help...... Mine Sux.....

Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Stand Help...... Mine Sux.....

Hello F4i riders...

I have an 02 F4i and bought a cheap 40 front stand for it...... To put it bluntly the stand is garbage. Its universal (goes into bottom of front forks) and basically is a pain in the ***** to get the bike on. One side touches the fork before the other so i have to play around with it to get the other side to just barely touch. When i go to lift it the one side usually slips off and then turns the wheels and sometimes smacks the brake rotor..... its also horrible for leverage and i usually have to use an arm and my knee to get the bike up...... i struggled with it for 15 minutes last night before i gave up....

So..... What front stand do you guys have ? Brand ? Distributer ? Price ? How well does it work, is it universal or model specific ? does it exibit any of the traits i listed ?

Thanks guys/gals....

--Dave

Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Default RE: Front Stand Help...... Mine Sux.....

Do you have a rear stand?

I have the T-Rex stands off of eBay. Have worked pretty good so far, not like top of the line stuff. It gets the job done though. And I'm pretty sure the T-Rex stands are universal for the most part.

It's usually hard to get the front up by itself without having the rear up first. Well when I've tried that seems to be the case. I don't think I've really tried jacking up the front without doing the rear first because of the problems you had.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 PM

I have never liked the front stands that lift by the forks, pretty much useless. cant take the forks off with that type of stand.

I also have el-cheapo stands that came with my first bike. They are LP (lockhart phillips) I wouldnt recommend them.

first, just for clarification, you are using a rear stand correct? You arent supposed to just put a bike up on a front stand, it makes it unstable and likely to tip.

second, on a front stand, be sure to get one that goes in the neck cup. then you can do all the maintenance you want. also try to get one with interchangable pins, that way if you get a new bike, you can still use the old stands.

my recommnedation, Pit bull stands, when and if I ever buy another set of stands, it will be pitbull. there are definately other brands out there that are good, and some aint, but you cant go wrong with Pitbulls.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 PM

+2 on that. You shouldn't even try to put the front on a stand unless the rear is already up. I bought a pair off eBay for like 60 bux and they work fine. Had to install some padding on the rear pads, but oh well. The front goes up super easy when the rear is up.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:21 PM

Handy Stands. $89 for front and rear. Both work great!

http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/...mp;D=1&S=4

NEVER put it up on front without rear first!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 PM

I have used handy stands and they work good. left a bike up on them all winter once with no problems.

I currently have DMP Stands. Work great and goes up easy. DMP makes all 3 types of stands, head lift, fork, and rear. I have all three.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:59 PM

yes the bike was already up on the rear....... i think the stand is just crap quality and isnt square and thats why one side hits before the other....

Old 04-09-2008, 02:14 AM

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but my bike came with a centre stand since it is a european model. If I wanted to lift the front, do I still need to lift the rear with a stand or can I just use the bike's centre stand? Thankx for any feedback.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 AM

ORIGINAL: kukku

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but my bike came with a centre stand since it is a european model. If I wanted to lift the front, do I still need to lift the rear with a stand or can I just use the bike's centre stand? Thankx for any feedback.

Yes, I wouldnt rely on the center stand for that.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM

I have a Trex fork stand. Careful positioning and technique are required, but it works ok. Also have a Pitbull triple clamp stand. Initially I was sold the wrong adapter for the f4i, and had some problems using it: the horn partly blocks the opening and if not put in correctly you can damage the upper cowl. Still, the triple clamp stand is a better, more secure stand once you get everything right. But the Trex fork stand is fine, I loosen the pinch bolts and axle before hoisting it up when I change tires.