F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Freak Problem on my 02 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:04 AM
DPG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Freak Problem on my 02 F4i

Took the bike apart this weekend. Couldn't find the issue.

Bike: 02' F4i 6546 Miles - First 3500 miles were put on by first owner in 4 years. Bike was garaged. Put the other 3000 miles myself (bike not garaged)

Issue: In the past month the following issue started. Would come and go, but now it always a problem. Bike turns on but has booged down power at any RPM. Specially low rpm. Both in high or low engine temps. Power at a give rpm varies slightly. I don't know why. But whatever is causing cylinders 2,3 (Middle ones) to run rich all the time is eventually messing with the sparkplugs. Causing misfires. When the bike is running it smells gas. Oil in the bike smells like gas.

Things I tried:
Week ago: Replaced Sparkplugs. Middle ones where black.
4 Days ago: Techron Fuel Injector cleaner - did nothing
1 Day ago: Checked new spark plugs. 2 & 3 where black like the previous ones.
1 Day ago: Swapped Fuel Injectors 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 to see if it is the fuel injector by checking my spark plugs in a 2 days.

Gas Tank: no rust
Fuel Pump: Good
Fuel Filter: Good
AirBox Filter: Good
Injectors: Sprayed fine. Didn't run electrical tests though.
Spark Plugs: 2 & 3 Had residue (black) due to running rich. Replaced all of them a week ago. and the 2 in the middle are (black) already.
MAP Sensor: ran the bike with it off. Ran the same except it wouldn't idle correctly with it off.

I'm starting to think that it's electrical. But don't know how to test.

Any ideas? I'm afraid that if I take it to the shop they are going to make me replace everything when it might just be a simple problem. =/

Old 06-19-2006, 03:05 AM
DPG

Took the bike apart this weekend. Couldn't find the issue.

Bike: 02' F4i 6546 Miles - First 3500 miles were put on by first owner in 4 years. Bike was garaged. Put the other 3000 miles myself (bike not garaged)

Issue: In the past month the following issue started. Would come and go, but now it always a problem. Bike turns on but has booged down power at any RPM. Specially low rpm. Both in high or low engine temps. Power at a give rpm varies slightly. I don't know why. But whatever is causing cylinders 2,3 (Middle ones) to run rich all the time is eventually messing with the sparkplugs. Causing misfires. When the bike is running it smells gas. Oil in the bike smells like gas.

Things I tried:
Week ago: Replaced Sparkplugs. Middle ones where black.
4 Days ago: Techron Fuel Injector cleaner - did nothing
1 Day ago: Checked new spark plugs. 2 & 3 where black like the previous ones.
1 Day ago: Swapped Fuel Injectors 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 to see if it is the fuel injector by checking my spark plugs in a 2 days.

Gas Tank: no rust
Fuel Pump: Good
Fuel Filter: Good
AirBox Filter: Good
Injectors: Sprayed fine. Didn't run electrical tests though.
Spark Plugs: 2 & 3 Had residue (black) due to running rich. Replaced all of them a week ago. and the 2 in the middle are (black) already.
MAP Sensor: ran the bike with it off. Ran the same except it wouldn't idle correctly with it off.

I'm starting to think that it's electrical. But don't know how to test.

Any ideas? I'm afraid that if I take it to the shop they are going to make me replace everything when it might just be a simple problem. =/

Old 06-19-2006, 03:06 AM
DPG

Opps. Double Post

Old 06-19-2006, 05:56 AM

dpg
I already tried changing my coils...... no difference if you are going that route.. Today I changed the injectors, tank and fuel pump. put on about 70 miles. seems to run better but but only better not how it should.
hey liquid did your bike run similar to this before you replaced the hose?

Old 06-24-2006, 02:13 AM

ORIGINAL: hwnf4i

dpg
I already tried changing my coils...... no difference if you are going that route.. Today I changed the injectors, tank and fuel pump. put on about 70 miles. seems to run better but but only better not how it should.
hey liquid did your bike run similar to this before you replaced the hose?
it idled like crap when cold and seriously lacked power. i only rode it about 1 mile and didn't go out of 2nd gear, so some of the issues i cannot comment on. but it looks like that is not his problem since he unhooked it and it ran worse. it's on the left side attached to the bottom of the airbox, unhook it and see if there is any change.

i'm guessing that isn't your problem. i still can't figure out why the original cluster wouldn't throw a FI light.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:48 PM

can someone explain vstacks to me please

Old 06-24-2006, 03:56 PM

dpg and liquid
I did not want to say this earlier because I am just not sure.. but.. leaking injectors can wassh out cyl walls causinig premature wear of the rings.. the compression in that particular cyl will thus become lower caussing it to run rich further washing out the lubrication that the oil provides making even wworse. eventually the fuel will seep into the oil causing even more damage to the rest of the engine. this is just a "guess" from experience of all the years working on autos.. I may be totally wrong! DPG before doing anything drastic make sure your vstacks are in the correct position. if you have removed and replace your injectors you may need to replace the seals on the injectors also or they "may" leak adding to that gas smell you smell when you stop on top of the poor mileage you may be having since you pulled the injectors.. again a guess.. This has been driving me CrAzY for a while now and if and I mean if I ever fix it I will let you a ll know what it was or what I did to remedy this problem. It must be more common than we know... that is waht is happening to our 2 bikes. Liquid, isn't that a breather hose? I have never followed it other than connecting it back to the box after removing it. dpg if your stacks are in the correct position and you are still fouling those 2 plugs in the center(just a suggestion)I have been running a 1 step hotter plug in hte cyl that has been turning black it seems to be "much better" but still I think i need to go a step hotter. The plugs that I am running are ngk cr9e and the hotter plug is a ngk cr8e these plugs should cost no more than 5 bucks a peice

Old 03-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever get this resolved?