F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Footpeg and Leaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Footpeg and Leaning

they are called feelers...but i think i now like CHEATER PEGS best! hahahhhaha

ok...let's see...one case...buddy scraped his feelers, scared him...he crashed....LOL...reminds me of another buddy who crashed the first time he dragged his knee cause it freaked him out.
another case...buddy playing chase with me...took the turn, started scraping the feeler, it acted as a fulcrum (usage???) and lifted the rear tire off the ground...he ended up in the brush...
last case...not personal, but from local board...dude drags the peg...it catches on uneven pavement...goodbye bike!

if you're in city riding...keep them cause you shouldn't be leaning over that far...\ut if you're into doing spirited canyon and track riding...take them off and start working on body positioning!!!!
T

Old 09-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a set of LP racing pegs and ditch the ugly black rubber pad. I think Indysuperbikes has them for $25 maybe. I got a set a few days ago and I really likem. The knurled finish gives you more bite with your boots and no worries about draggin them.

Dragging hard parts are bad ! Tahoe gave you some very good examples why.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 PM

haha happened to me a couple of times. all unexpected.. but when i try to get it down to scrape i cant do it...[:@]

Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 AM

What should be draging firstwithacorrect body position- a knee or a peg feeler?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Daffy472

What should be draging firstwithacorrect body position- a knee or a peg feeler?
Yeah I'm curious about that as well.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 AM

With correct body positioning, and considering you have knee pucks lol, your knee should drag before the peg feeler.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:53 AM

I think they are also called Hero Blobs, have yet to scrape mine.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lean off enough, you can drag with minimal lean...but in general, if you're hanging off like you should...knee much before feeler.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 AM

They are what I call girls who love riding on bikes. Because they do alot of that.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM

Ok here is a crash course in scraping your pegs (not literally). I just typed up a huge response but clicked an add banner and accidentaly deleted it all [:@]

If you are scraping peg in a corner you need to get the bike in a more upright position and pick your *** up off the seat. You might say "but you are supposed to lean the bike over into a corner" this is correct to some extent but is not the whole deal. The idea is to countersteer and lean the bike with your handlebars and balance the bikes upright position with your body and legs. By getting your *** off the seat and leaning into the corner a bit you are taking a lot of load off the shocks and putting the load in the correct area. This is not to say you need to try and reach out and touch the pavement with your knee. Remember the idea with the knee is not to try and reach out and get it as close to the ground as possible, but to use it as a tool to measure how far you are leaned over. Some corners you need to lean a little, some require you to lean a lot. This brings me to my next point:

The best tool in not scraping peg when you dont need to is to KNOW THE GEOMETRY OF THE CORNER BEFORE YOU ENTER IT. Only the most elite riders can just go take a ride on a new road and tear it up. For most of us mortals, we need to know what we are up against. Sure most of the time you can judge a corner as you are entering it, but that is not always the case. The last thing you want is to be scraping your peg mid corner and then have the corner get sharper and decrease its radius. That will end in a low-side.

I'm not saying that scraping peg is always a bad thing. I do it a lot just to mess around and have fun. However 2 of my buddies have low sided because they did not know to get off the bike and use their bodyweight to their advantage. If you have not dialed in your body weight movement and how it effects your bike you should not be scraping your peg.

So know the corners where you are gonna have to get off your seat a bit. Remember them when you are doing a hot lap and get your *** off the seat for those corners and you will improve your speed and not freak yourself out by scraping your hero pegs.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Footpeg and Leaning