F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First Time buyer - Plaese help - Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

imo you're going about it all wrong bro. First bike, you're going to put it down. I'd buy one that's been laid down (since you already want new fairing color ... cheaper to get new fairings than paint nice ones) and learn on it until you get good enough to put aftermarket fairings on that are the color you want. You'll end up spending a whole lot less money, and have a bike that looks just as nice (mine's been down a bunch but you can't really tell since I put new fairings on)

Old 05-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by kowen1208
Option 1 sounds a little overpriced, even for being immaculate.

Option 2 sounds good if you can get him down to around $3500 like you mentioned. You shouldn't have to pay Cali sales tax on it, but I would call your DMV just in case.

Option 3 sounds like a decent deal, except for the fact that you'd put another $500 or so into seat conversion (and frame painting if you cared that much).

My vote is option 2.
Ya option 2 is what I have been leaning towards..1 owner, never downed, garage kept, and stock. He is asking $4000 so im sure I can get it for $3500ish. The only issue is that the bike is 500 miles away in North California! I am in, and will register it in Arizona. I will ask him but how will I know if the Cali Evap is installed and also what else should I look out for when buying a California bike? Thanks!

Old 05-01-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by m3ds
imo you're going about it all wrong bro. First bike, you're going to put it down. I'd buy one that's been laid down (since you already want new fairing color ... cheaper to get new fairings than paint nice ones) and learn on it until you get good enough to put aftermarket fairings on that are the color you want. You'll end up spending a whole lot less money, and have a bike that looks just as nice (mine's been down a bunch but you can't really tell since I put new fairings on)
Thanks! I aint puttin er down...I am confident and not a cocky rider so Im not going to be messing around/stunting it by any means...I'm talking a very good 3 day class and plan to learn a lot there...IF I do put her down then Il deal with it then...I just dont want to buy a used bike thats been downed no matter what..not going to risk some type of internal or frame issue due to it

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-01-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
Thanks! I aint puttin er down...I am confident and not a cocky rider so Im not going to be messing around/stunting it by any means...I'm talking a very good 3 day class and plan to learn a lot there...IF I do put her down then Il deal with it then...I just dont want to buy a used bike thats been downed no matter what..not going to risk some type of internal or frame issue due to it
The fact that you say that makes it all the more likely to happen. Everyone goes down, whether at 2mph or 120mph. You can turn too sharp, hit a patch of oil, hit some debris in the road, someone cuts you off... it happens to all of us. Admit it'll happen, and just hope it's one of the 2mph drops (although those are the most embarassing, haha)

BUT, since you're worried about frame damage and all I'd definitely go for 01-03 because doing the seat conversion is too much work imo. You'll pay less for the older bike and they're essentially the same. Good luck man, let us know what you end up with!

Old 05-01-2010, 03:14 PM

The fact that you say that makes it all the more likely to happen. Everyone goes down, whether at 2mph or 120mph. You can turn too sharp, hit a patch of oil, hit some debris in the road, someone cuts you off... it happens to all of us. Admit it'll happen, and just hope it's one of the 2mph drops (although those are the most embarassing, haha)

BUT, since you're worried about frame damage and all I'd definitely go for 01-03 because doing the seat conversion is too much work imo. You'll pay less for the older bike and they're essentially the same. Good luck man, let us know what you end up with!
Thanks brosif..Ya my brother, who is very conservative on his bike, had been riding for 10 years prior and 2 years into his 2000 F4 he hit
a huge pot hole turning out of his lot and layed her down going 10mph. He was so upset so I know it happens. I just have wishful thinking. Sitting at a light in San Fran some lady also clipped him passing by and knocked the bike over on his leg and broke his wrist. So trust me I know Sh!^ happens

Old 05-01-2010, 03:43 PM

Is a handlebar "riser" a good first mod to do? I had never heard of this until I saw that bike for sale with it done. Is the stock position slightly uncomfortable. Seems nice since my F4i will be my dd. Pros/Cons or pics anyone? Thanks

Old 05-01-2010, 04:27 PM

Sport bikes in general are "slightly" uncomfortable. If you're into looking cool and/or handling performance, stock is best. If you want to be able to sit more upright while cruising, risers are a good mod to have.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You pay your state's taxes when you register the title. Had to pay PA sales tax with the Philly addon when I register my bike. It had a NJ title

Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
Is a handlebar "riser" a good first mod to do? I had never heard of this until I saw that bike for sale with it done. Is the stock position slightly uncomfortable. Seems nice since my F4i will be my dd. Pros/Cons or pics anyone? Thanks
I guess it would be more comfortable with handlebar risers, but imo it's a comfortable bike without. Get used to the bike stock before you mod it, then you'll decide what mods you need and don't need. I'm perfectly fine at stock height...

Old 05-02-2010, 12:18 AM

I guess it would be more comfortable with handlebar risers, but imo it's a comfortable bike without. Get used to the bike stock before you mod it, then you'll decide what mods you need and don't need. I'm perfectly fine at stock height...
I agree. I went and messed around with a 2006F4i today at the dealership. The F4i is lighter than I expected and the stock handlebar position seems fine! Cant wait to get one! I just need to be patient and the right one will come along The one I was walking around and messing with was blue/black 06 with the banana seat and the dealer had no info on it (not that I was even considering it but was playing their game) besides it had 21k on it and they wanted $6800 out the door...hahaha....riiiiiight

Quick Reply: First Time buyer - Plaese help - Lots of questions