F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First Time buyer - Plaese help - Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time buyer - Plaese help - Lots of questions

Hello everyone,

I know with being a noob, and just noticed I misspelled a word in the topic wrong, everyone may not read my post but I really need advice and I'm not sure where to ask. I wanted to introduce myself and apologize for the onslaught of questions/advice that is to come! I have been reading the forums and trying to educate myself with the F4i. I have never rode a street bike in my life but have rode CR80's when I was a kid. I am taking a very good 3 day course with a motorcycle school here in Phoenix Arizona next weekend so I will have my motorcycle license next week. I have been looking at a few bikes and I really need advice so I appreciate all the input you guys can give me.

Ok so I have narrowed it down to what I want. I want a 01-03 F4i. I don't want an 04-06 due to the banana seat and silver frame. Here are three bikes I am looking at and I would like your advice on which is the best bet! Keep in mind that none of these bikes are the color scheme I want and that at a later date I plan on changing the fairings. If I wait around for my exact color scheme, price and and amount of owners the bike has had, I will never ride! I really just want a solid foundation (i.e 1 or 2 owner, low miles, not dropped, stock or darn close to) You'd be amazed at how hard that is to find unfortunately!

Option 1. 2002 F4i red/black 3 hrs south from my location MINT condition but on its 3rd owner with only 3,400 miles! Not stock. Handlebars risen. Corbin seat. Rear Penske adjustable shock. power programmer (not sure why cuz there's no intake/exhaust mods) Owner says original owner was an older man who had the mods done and then sold it to a younger kid who barley rode it and now this guy has it. $4,500 FIRM. But keep in mind this bike looks brand new...like I'm not sugar coating it..show room BRAND NEW (crazy how it looks as being a 3 owner!) The current seller/3rd owner said the kid who sold it to him seemed scared to ride it.
Name:  P2140002.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  107.2 KB

Option 2. 2002 F4i yellow/black VERY good condition 1 owner 39yr old man, never downed, garage kept, 11k miles asking $4000. May be able to get for a few hundred less. bone stock! RARE to find a one owner that's never been downed and is stock! Thing is I live in Arizona and he is in North California. I "could" go and get the bike and transport it back to Arizona but I am unsure if I would pay any sales tax or anything in/to California? (I wouldn't think so because I thought you only pay sales tax for the state you register the bike in right? So if I went and picked up a California private party bike and trailered it back to Arizona and registered it in Arizona with its California title I should only pay Arizona taxes, which is $0 for private party sales in Arizona. Am I missing something here?)
Name:  DSC00546.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  56.7 KB

Option 3. 2006 F4i yellow/black here in Arizona Obviously being a 2006 it has the banana seat and has a silver frame. 8k miles, 2nd owner, stock, $4000 firm. This bike I would have to dump money into reverting the seat back to 01-03 (Question: how invasive and how much $ we talking here to do this?)
Name:  3n13k93pf5Z25Q45W1a416ef478f397961c.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  8.3 KB

What do you guys think? Regardless, number 1 is the cleanest yet its on its 3rd owner and is not stock. #2 is my ideal seller (1 owner, never downed and stock) but its in California and I am uneducated about the taxes or how to get it over here without paying extra $. and #3 would take a little modification (Im thinking this is not even an option compared to #1 and #2)

As I stated, my ideal color would not be any of these schemes. Eventually, I would like my fairing setup to be White with black trim and eventually I will go that route, so I guess the color is not an issue to ride around with until then. Another question, how expensive is it to swap all new fairings and how hard is it to do yourself! Does anyone recommend a good retailer that's got great fairings for decent prices?! Where does everyone get their fairings from?

This is exactly how I want the finished project to be ONE DAY! (except I want a low mount Devil slip on as opposed to picture)
Name:  CBR600F4i.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  78.1 KB

Random question: How do you know if a bike is a Japan Import with the speed restriction? Is the only way by checking the VIN

First mods will be
1. Handlebar riser (where to buy?)
2. Corbin seat
3. Frame Sliders (OES or TRex)
4. Undertail
5. K&N Filter
6. Devil low mount slid on or off brand shorty

Your input starts now! I cant thank everyone enough on helping me figure out what the right thing is to do.

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-01-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard. I commend you for taking the motorcycle course. Continue to practice in open parking lot areas to refine your skills.

As for your bike option question... I'd personally opt for #3, the 2006 for 4k. For the money & convenience, it seems to be a no-brainer. Then, I'd do the split-seat conversion, since you're wanting a split-seat. Then again, I've done the split-seat conversion & its no big thing to me. I think anyone can do it though...its super easy. Its just a matter of finding all the parts & doing the job. Yes, all the parts required can be approx $500, but once the conversion is done, you'd have a newer bike w/ split-seat. Too, this bike is a blank-slate of sorts, being stock, you'd be able to do all the mods & upgrades to your own personal liking.

Good luck shopping.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Thanks gotcbr. I will be practicing quite a bit! With the 3rd option, the 2006, yes the banana seat seems daunting...the current owner said that he thinks the orig owner may have rode it hard as the tires were bald when he got it at 5k. The only mod on the 2006 is an undertail. I am not a huge fan of the silver frame either. hmmm. Thanks that def makes me rethink things though if you say the conversion is not that hard

Old 05-01-2010, 11:27 AM

I agree with with gotcbr on this one, option one is sexy looking with the mods and such but a little pricey. and if you were gonna change the color to just black don't buy new fairings just get the once you have painted ( I would paint the tank too ). Glad you chose the F4i its a great ride.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks fubbzie- Yes option 1 is stunning! Option 3, the 2006, I dont know If I can get past the silver frame AND have the pressure of converting the banana seat AND eventually getting all new fairings to white/black!!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:39 AM

alright well if you could get the guy with the yellow one to go down a bit ( I got my 02 with 11k miles with extra goodies like a pipe and other mods for 3600 ) it would be a nice deal, Does it have the Cali Evap canister on it, god those things just don't belong on bikes.

I got my bike from a different state and had to pay sale taxes based on MY state.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 AM
July 2010 ROTM

Option one. It gas some of the mods you already want and nice low miles

Old 05-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by fubbzie
alright well if you could get the guy with the yellow one to go down a bit ( I got my 02 with 11k miles with extra goodies like a pipe and other mods for 3600 ) it would be a nice deal, Does it have the Cali Evap canister on it, god those things just don't belong on bikes.

I got my bike from a different state and had to pay sale taxes based on MY state.
I think I could get the one in California (option 2) down to $3500 or so. Il ask about the smog crap. I live in Arizona which has no sales tax on private party sales so if I buy in CA then I shouldn't pay ANY tax anywhere correct? When I register the CA titled bike in AZ, the sales tax should be MY AZ sales tax, which is $0. Sound correct?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 AM

I stress just painting your stock fairings but if you need to switch to aftermarket ( EX: broken fairings) just send me a PM I have new Aftermarkets on mine and love them.

and yes that SOUNDS correct but i am on the opposite side of the country as you so it may be different.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Option 1 sounds a little overpriced, even for being immaculate.

Option 2 sounds good if you can get him down to around $3500 like you mentioned. You shouldn't have to pay Cali sales tax on it, but I would call your DMV just in case.

Option 3 sounds like a decent deal, except for the fact that you'd put another $500 or so into seat conversion (and frame painting if you cared that much).

My vote is option 2.

Quick Reply: First Time buyer - Plaese help - Lots of questions