F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Junior2552
hmmmmm I can try that, because i haven't even looked into it. I have both chain lube and wax. is there a specfic order they go on? clean the chain with some brake cleaner, hit it with some lube, then wax it? does that work?
I'm still pretty new to all of this, but I think Chain Wax and Lube are designed for the same purpose. I believe the idea behind the products that are called "wax" is that they stick to the chain better and are not thrown off as easily as simple lubes. I would imagine that any product designed for motorcycle chains would work though. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can shed some light on the lube/wax thing.

I'm not sure about the brake cleaner. It might be too harsh of a product that could damage the chain. Based on what I've read in this forum and others WD40 is the best thing to clean your chain with. Maybe someone else can chime in with some knowledge on the brake cleaner thing.

WARNING: Never try to do any of this while the bike is running. This is what happens:
Chewed up bloody fingers

Chewed up bloody thumbs
and
Chewed off thumbs

1. [PREP] Read the directions on the side of the can before starting. Follow those directions first. If there is something your not sure about use the steps below as a guide. Removing the chain guard before you start will make things much easier.
2. [CLEANING] Spray a section of the chain liberally with WD40. Use a firm bristle tooth brush to brush away desbris and a towel to soak up any excess WD40 and dirt. Make sure to hold a towel behind the chain to catch over spray, other wise you'll have WD40 all over everything.
3. [CLEANING] Roll the wheel (by hand) to get to a new section of chain, and repeat step 2.
4. [WARM CHAIN] Take your bike out for a 15 minute ride to heat the chain up and help throw off any excess WD40 you couldn't reach with the towel.
5. [APPLY WAX] Apply chain wax to you chain in sections using a towel to catch over spray.
6. [BE PATIENT] Allow the bike to sit for at least 15 minutes before riding it. If the wax isn't allowed to set up properly then it will all come off as soon as you start riding it.

Last edited by weeeezzll; 10-13-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks!! May I ask why anyone would but their hands near a spinning sprocket?? I noticed it was on Kawi, and Gixxer forums.. what squids =D i joke i joke. But thanks for the info!!

Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dupont Teflon Multi-Use cleans and lubricates in one application. It behaves like WD-40 initially, washing away grime, but once the solvents dry, it leaves lubricant behind; cheap too.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM

On another note, I did tighten the chain a little, it was running a little too lose. It still makes the clattering noise, but not as bad. I think i'll try to pull the chain off this weekend and see if i can clean it, and keep ALL of my appendages.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the advice Incognito!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by Junior2552
On another note, I did tighten the chain a little, it was running a little too lose. It still makes the clattering noise, but not as bad. I think i'll try to pull the chain off this weekend and see if i can clean it, and keep ALL of my appendages.
You don't need to pull the chain off to clean it. Rags + a chain brush + spin the wheel manually.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM

It's going to be hard to pull the chain off unless it's got a clip style master link.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:27 AM

True, I'm not sure how you are going to get the chain off without unriveting.
Be sure to torque the rear axle to 69-70 lbs, don't over tighten it.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Elfling
You don't need to pull the chain off to clean it. Rags + a chain brush + spin the wheel manually.

+1

Don't use any type of solvent to clean your rings because the compounds in the cleaning solvent will seep to the rubber between the links and eventually swell it up and all that gunk. Use WD-40 and spray that **** on and a good brush, I use old toothbrushes, and a rag like Elfing said.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 AM

I never use WD40 to clean the chain since I don't know if the solvents in it will damage the O rings or not. Instead, and as per manual, I use kerosene and the chain is still going strong at 12K miles.

Quick Reply: First Gear