F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fairings Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairings Question

Hi Guys,

Im new to these forums and I just purchased an 06 f4i. I had a quick question. What are fairings? Or to be more precise, what do they include? All the plastic parts? Meaning if I purchase a fairing kit online and change it from my original black/red colored bike, Id in reality have a completely different looking bike? If so, what does something like this cost to install? I am not motorcycle savy and wouldnt be able to do it myself. Any info/advice would be great guys. Thank you!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 PM

Fairings are indeed the plastics that surround the bike. One thing to note though....when you order them online, depending on the year of the bike, no tank fairing will be included unless its an 03 or newer... It would be fairly simple to re-install yourself or have a buddy help you. It can prolly cost a lot to have a company do it for you

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 PM

Does taking off and installing the fairings require any cutting or shaping? Or is it literally unscrew/unbolt and bolt back on? Does anyone recommend a good and reputable website for fairings? I am in LOVE with the white/black look.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by An01InAZ
Fairings are indeed the plastics that surround the bike. One thing to note though....when you order them online, depending on the year of the bike, no tank fairing will be included unless its an 03 or newer... It would be fairly simple to re-install yourself or have a buddy help you. It can prolly cost a lot to have a company do it for you
Regardless of year the F4i's have NO tank covers available which means you will have to get the tank repainted to match the new colours.

Originally Posted by shockedimpy
Does taking off and installing the fairings require any cutting or shaping? Or is it literally unscrew/unbolt and bolt back on? Does anyone recommend a good and reputable website for fairings? I am in LOVE with the white/black look.
There are majority just unbolting with a couple electrical connectors that need to be undone and some gentle caressing to remove the tail fairing.
There shouldn't be any cutting involved, the most you should need to do is drill out a couple holes to let the bolt fit on some aftermarket fairings.
I would suggest trying yourself as it is the most basic and most needed knowledge to do any type of repair to your bike.