F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

f4i wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4i wont start

So I crashed my bike about three months ago. the damage was pretty extensive but the bike ran when i got it home. I had to change the right footpeg, my whole right clip on, kill switch assembly, and throttle cables, right footpeg, and remount the front brake master cylinder. when i changed the throttle cables i unbolted the tank and tilted it vertical and removed the airbox. now three months later, repairs are complete but it wont start. I checked for spark and fuel and its there. the engine turns over and everything seems to be working fine, she just wont fire. I thought maybe it was a poorly charged battery but i charged with a trickle charger for 24 hours and it still wont go. I wonder if its maybe bad gas. Can someone please help me out. p.s. i also removed the entire upper fairng and instrument cluster but the wiring connections seem to be ok.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Default RE: f4i wont start

p.s.s. its an 02 f4i

Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 PM

idk but if it was wreaked then do you have to reset or bypass the tip over sensor?

Old 10-21-2008, 01:10 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Is your headlight connected? The bike won't start without the headlight harness attached.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Aken

Is your headlight connected? The bike won't start without the headlight harness attached.
+1

Your bike is a 400 pound paperweight without that front fairing connected, electrically speaking.

You need to either

A) re-attach your front fairing or
B) close your wire harness (jumper cables, etc).

If it is connected, check back and we'll go from there...

Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 AM

ya the front fairing and all the wiring is connected, the fuel pump turns on and the lights work aswell. I might check the tip over sensor, where is that located?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM

i don't think the fuel pump will prime if the BAS is activated. anyone?

does it prime when you flip the switch?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:34 AM

Real stretch here, but what's the condition of the inside of your gas tank? if you have corrosion or rust (god forbid) something might have gotten knocked loose when you were servicing the airbox. How did you check for spark and air? Is the air filter clean? Did you hook up all the vacuum hoses to the airbox during reassembly? you could try spraying some carb cleaner directly into the throttle bodies to see if it will fire, but avoid spraying onto the molybdenum smears where the butterfliesclose against the side of the venturii.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM

The tank condition is fine and I reconnected all the vacuum hoses etc. The air filter is in good shape still. THe bike has 12,000 km on it. the only thing i havent tried is the carb cleaner. I had it running for about 10-15 seconds yesterday morning. then she died. I changed the gas tonight and it sounded like she wanted to go right away but it wouldnt fire until i opened the throttle all the way the she fired up for a split second and died. The battery then died so its on the charger again. I'm stumped here. The next step im thinking is changing the plugs.

p.s. i pulled the plug out and touched part of the frame to test for spark and there was spark but it was a little weak.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 PM

if the tip sensor is tripped the pump wont prime. this is to minimalize gas leakage if the tank or a line is ruptured in a crash. this way gas isn't gushing out with a possible open flame. i'm not sure if it shuts off the entire electrical system tho.

Quick Reply: f4i wont start