F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Won't Start

So I have this problem where i turn the bike on...the speedo counts down as usually but it doesn't make that little sound while it does it...the light dont turn on...i try to start it up but it just keeps turning over and doesn't fire up...i am assuming it is probably some stupid little electrical problem...any ideas/thoughts?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:32 PM

if you fill up your gas tank too much will it cause this problem?
BTW welcome just noticed it was your first post...

Old 12-11-2010, 03:40 PM

oh lol...well guess ima just have to take it to the bike shop...maybe i'll try and talk the guy there into cutting down my slip-on for me also

Old 12-17-2010, 12:48 AM

the fuel pump on the f4i i just bought was actually stuck from sitting so long.

you can test the connector for the fuel pump easily with a test light. The connector is the only wires going into the fuel tank.

Just lift the tank. Unplug the connector. The Bike side of the connector is what you want to test here (NOT the tank side) it should have a green wire (ground), a brown wire with a black or green stripe (reserve fuel level indicator), and a brown wire (+ power for fuel pump).

Ground your test light on a frame bolt that is not powder coated or painted. Make sure the the kill switch on the bike is in the run position and the bike is in neutral. Then touch the probe of your test light to the connector's metal prong the corresponds to the brown wire. Next turn the key to the run position and the test light should glow for a few seconds then turn off.

If it does not glow then the problem is most likely your kill switch needs cleaning or there is a problem with your fuel pump relay or your tip sensor (bank angle sensor). Those can be tested if need be.

If the test light does glow, then check the green wire on the bottom of the gas tank and make sure it is connected to the spade terminal built onto the bottom of the gas tank. If that is hooked up and clean, and the test light did light up you have a fuel pump problem and that will require you to remove the pump from the tank to trouble shoot it. I can help you with that as well.

I promise that this is much easier than it all sounds and if know the difference between a box wrench and a ratchet, you can fix this yourself.

Let me know what you find and I promise to help you through the process and can even give you my phone number if that would help you.

Good luck

Old 12-17-2010, 12:51 AM

When you say "the light don't turn on", do you mean the Headlight?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 PM

Yes I mean the headlight. I'm taking it apart now. Need to go buy a test light. Also my power commander lights aren't turning on

Old 12-22-2010, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the input/help BTW guys

Old 12-22-2010, 09:23 PM

@ V8KLLR ( would have PMd you but you're posting as a guest. Were you using a FB email address? Check out the announcment at the top of the boards.

Quick Reply: F4i Won't Start