F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is the F4i underpowered compared to modern 600's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put down 107 hp not sure if it was at the wheels or not. I can't even remember tq value on it to be honest. I had it done about 2 years ago almost. I'm probably due for a tune up and another dyno run. I try to stay on top of it. Eventually I'm going to get a dyno at our shop. My other tech knows how to tune bikes and he's damn good at it. He told me to use MegaSquirt on my new build I'm doing. There's a lot more tuning capabilities with it than there is anything else that's out there. I can tune each cylinder individually with fuel and ignition adv/ret, boost capabilities which I'll never use and there's a wideband function too. It's a bit pricey but it's worth it to get the machine to run top notch. My new build I'm hoping to shave about 35-40 lbs off the bike compared to stock since it's going to be a track only bike. I'm getting rid of the headlights, tail light, signals, mirrors, passenger pegs, PAIR valve, doing some customization to the intake ducts, swapping out the front fairing bracket for a tubular aluminum one and doing some other things to shave weight as well. I'll try to find my dyno sheet. I still have it somewhere around here (scratches head)

Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 AM

I believe it's Sport Rider who has a ton of dyno charts available on their website for most models of sport bike since 2000 or so. I compared the F4i to many of the newer bikes (various generations for all the 600s) and every single time the F4i was putting down more power until 10,000 rpms. Then they would run about even until 12k, then the F4i would peak and the newer bikes would go another 1-1.5k rpms until they peaked.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 AM

yep, f4's and f4i's are slightly behind, compared to newer, not by far though. ONLY if your counting on the bikes capabilities and not the riders skill level.

i thought long and hard about wanting to put money into my old f4 to make more power then i just gave up on that thought and bought another more powerful bike and as far as power and performance wise, im very satisfied with the 954, never looked back. in a way i will miss my ole f4. rode that f4 for two years straight every day as my only transportation. a lot of fun miles through twisties, depedable, cheap parts, good to tour on on road trips through the smokey mountains, ect...on the other hand, i did get tired of getting pulled on by riding buddies with more powereful bikes though. main thing is i was ready and it wqas time for an upgrade handling and power wise. nothing wrong with the f-series bikes.

Last edited by cBrentb; 07-09-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
yep, f4's and f4i's are slightly behind, compared to newer, not by far though. ONLY if your counting on the bikes capabilities and not the riders skill level.

i thought long and hard about wanting to put money into my old f4 to make more power then i just gave up on that thought and bought another more powerful bike and as far as power and performance wise, im very satisfied with the 954, never looked back. in a way i will miss my ole f4. rode that f4 for two years straight every day as my only transportation. a lot of fun miles through twisties, depedable, cheap parts, good to tour on on road trips through the smokey mountains, ect...on the other hand, i did get tired of getting pulled on by riding buddies with more powereful bikes though. main thing is i was ready and it wqas time for an upgrade handling and power wise. nothing wrong with the f-series bikes.
The F4 had similar power to the F4i but as each year passes, that went obsolete.

It depends on what people are using it for. I personally love the F4i and better than the F4 over all. The R6 was nice too but it was hard on the wrists compared to many other bikes. (IMO)

Each year they make a new bike and they continue to get better, so someone will always be behind. If you want to mod your bike, do it, and for yourself because you like the bike. Who cares what others think.

Last edited by upgradedcbr; 07-11-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:04 PM

Is the F4i underpowered? No.

Is it less powerful than newer bikes? Yes.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends where you get your info from.
A professional on an F4i will stomp any novice rider on any other 600 out there.

If you look at this the F4i really isn't much of a slump. The 09 RR is only 3 more HP, and that's the same people comparing bikes instead of grabbing random info from 2 different sites.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2010JanIndex.pdf

Old 07-11-2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
It all depends where you get your info from.
A professional on an F4i will stomp any novice rider on any other 600 out there.

If you look at this the F4i really isn't much of a slump. The 09 RR is only 3 more HP, and that's the same people comparing bikes instead of grabbing random info from 2 different sites.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2010JanIndex.pdf
Not many got 5 star rating, I'm very proud to own this

Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 PM

I do still think the F4i is the best looking bike. I just wonder if the newer cbr's have more potential when it comes to the power department. Wondering if a sprocket change, pcm3, and air filter will get the bike to 100whp.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM

I don't think that the f4i is underpowered at all. I straight up dragged my 2001 against my buddy on his 08gsxr 750 and neither of us could pull an inch until about 155, after that he would have pulled away if we had more road

Old 08-05-2013, 06:53 PM

I sold my F4i, and bought a 2007 CBR600RR. It definitely has more power, but, as some of you have alluded to, it has less torque. I think the differences in top end power are noticeable, as is the handling difference. I do miss the F4i's torque though.

Quick Reply: Is the F4i underpowered compared to modern 600's?