F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i or RR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its always fun how every week or so someone finds the forum and asks is this a good first bike type question haha. But no I respect your doing your homework just kinda comical after awhile. Get ready for some wide ranging advice. Most comments so far though different all have some degree of validity in my opinion. You sound/seem big for a 250 but the guys are right it would be your safest bet. You could ride one for a season or 2 and get something bigger if you felt the need. You can get a newer used 250 for a couple grand unless your the type of person that always jumps right in for every hobby they start right off the bat. I am not suggesting to you what size bike to get, but if your new and for whatever reason your only going to pick between the F4i or 600 RR I would say get the F4i. Its a less aggressive riding postion like others have mentioned. The RR is a bit more made for the track and from what it sounds like you are just trying to get started so. Hey b safe with whatever you get if you get something.
________
Misty cam

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:07 AM

QUOTE=NEoilburner;742582]Hey there, I am very new to the sport and am doing some research before I make a purchase.
I am looking for late model 600 (2000-2008) and am wondering what is the difference between the F4i and the RR?
Which would be better for a new rider?[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with the view that the 600 CBRs aren't a good first-rider choice. I also don't agree that they aren't forgiving--fast does not equal unforgiving. They have good suspensions and good brakes and will streak through a lean angle where other bikes will have given up.

Some have the attitude that if you get on a fast bike, you'll somehow surrender to the allure and kill yourself. But it's not the bike, it's the rider. Responsible on a 600 is the same as responsible on a 250.

Two things about the 600RR vs F4i. The RR's riding position is more aggressive and track oriented. That may or may not appeal to you. Second, tall guys sometimes have a second discomfort issue caused by long legs compressing the knee joints because of peg location. You can adjust that to a degree with custom rearsets or a seat mod, but the CBRs are physically small bikes for a reason: they come from the track.

Physical conditioning has a little to do with this, too. I think sport riding requires you to be in moderately good condition, more so with the RR. If you're not, it can be a torture rack.

--Paul

Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for a sv650....nice mix of power for a beginner imo.

oo.. I mean..Honda...go for a Honda..all the way

Old 02-01-2009, 11:12 AM

My first bike was a rebel 250 I learn the basics and the road now I have an f4i 2006 cbr-600 it was a good and safe route for me. You only have one life one body so don't chance it for anything or anybody. No matter what watch out for those car phone talkers.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Berto
QUOTE=NEoilburner;742582]

Some have the attitude that if you get on a fast bike, you'll somehow surrender to the allure and kill yourself. But it's not the bike, it's the rider. Responsible on a 600 is the same as responsible on a 250.

--Paul
How many times have you heard of someone trying to show off or ride above their limits and wrecking because they cant control their right hand? every day. if youre not responsible enough to ride a 600 then a 250 is no place for you either. you can kill yourself easily either way.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:13 PM

Ya no one said you cant get hurt on a 250 but you can slam the throttle on a 250 and it aint the same reaction as when you slam the throttle on a 600. A 250 is lighter and easier to flick. And if someone isnt good at shifting and by accident they pull the clutch in on a 250 and rev the throttle up and dump the clutch they have a better chance of maintaining control.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:50 PM

I guess I don't understand how a 250 is supposed to be a better beginner bike. Cause it can't go as fast as a 600? Wouldn't someone learning on an F4i as their first bike realize how sensitive the throttle and adjust to it in like the first 10 minutes? Maybe if you have the brain of a fish and forget everything every 10 seconds you should get a 250. Suggesting a 250 as a first bike just so people can learn for a couple days on it is ridiculous.

I feel like alot 600 owners here discourage people from starting with an F4i just because it makes them feel more accomplished... to say that "oh no, it's not a beginner bike! you'll kill yourself since you don't have the necessary experience like us!" Lots of people myself included started on an F4i just fine. If I'd gone the 250 route I would have wanted to sell that thing after 3 days because half the fun of riding a 600 is cranking the throttle. That means the headache of finding a buyer and doing all the paperwork all over again to get rid of the 250, which was made for people 120 lbs and 5'2" anyway.

Start with an F4i... its a fine beginner bike and you'll grow with it for years.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:24 PM

Started on a ninja 500, perfect beginner bike. The 250 would be ok for a week or so and then it would be just boring. Get a 500 to learn, so many reasons why. If you want I have mine up for sale. I bought the f4i from a friend, killer deal I couldnt pass up or I would still be riding the 500.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:58 PM

6-2 220lbs. have a 2002 f4i and have rode a 2007 600rr. the rr is a faster bike and i feel more confident ducking it down into sharp turns, but i wouldnt give up my f4i because its more comfortable to ride. Dont get me wrong, i dont have any issue putting my bike through twisties i just feel that the riding position of the rr is more suited to higher speed turning. I learned to ride a street bike on my f4i and i think its a very suitable starter bike. Now as everyone has said you must respect it, but in my opinion u must respect any bike or you're going to get hurt.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cut_cutta
The f4 or f4i is a fast friggin bike. Way faster acceleration than most sport cars even.
You say it like its a suprise. Most any motorcycle above 250cc is faster then most sports cars. 13's are fast for cars, they are borderline cruiser slow in sportbikes.

The F4i has a better torque output at lower rpm's compared to the 03-06 RR's and a more relaxed riding position. Which one is better depends on what you want to do. If all you want is to learn then yes a 250 is great. If you want a great all around bike to do everything on [what the F series was designed for] then go F4i. If you want as fast as you can get from honda get a RR.

There is nothing wrong with getting a 600 as a first bike. There is something very wrong with using all the 600's throttle the first couple of months of having said bike. Remember that and fear falling and you'll be fine.