F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Problems Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Problems Help

I have an 01 F4i and went to start my bike the other day and when i turned the key on the fuel pump didn't prime. I thought that was weird but my bike started anyway and ran perfectly fine, just took a few extra cranks. Then i noticed my headlights weren't on, both turn signal indicators are on and my high beam indicator is on. And when i turn on my turn signal my bike shuts off. I checked all the fuses and they checked out fine. Anybody have any ideas? I appreciate any help.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Default RE: F4i Problems Help

i had the same exact problem. and when you pull the headlight fuse the pump will prime. i cant seem to track down the cuase of this problem except that the plug conecting the main harness to the headlight assembly had melted a little but i fixed that and associated with it as a side effect and not the cuase. it was also the ground wire which had melted all the rest were fine.

when i took the front fairing off the bike and put it back on the problem went away for about a month then came back i took it off again and looked for the problem and it went away and never came back.

do u have stock or aftermarket turn signals and did it start shortly after replacing one of them? i ask becuase i had just relaced one turn signal before all this started but it was the same as the on that was on there prior was so i dont thing thats it.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:17 PM

You gots a short mang.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 PM

i cant imagine where i have a short though? or from what well i have the whole front end apart right now i guess i could go through and look for it

Old 03-27-2007, 09:08 PM

no i have never taken off the front fairing. it has the stock signals and i rode it like two days prior to this problem happening. I wonder if there is a loose connection to the headlight or something. The dealership said there is a relay to the headlight that could go bad. They said that it ties into the efi and thats what would cause it to shut down when i turn on the signal. I just dont know tho

Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 PM

well i know its somewhere in the front end of the bike and it has something to do with the turn signals or the headlight beucase other wise why would it be okay after messing with the front fairing. check your head light fuse and see if you blew it. i would also check the plug that connects the foward harness to the main harness. the wire the melted on mine was a green wire with a gold stripe and its on the lower right hnd side of the plug like i said its a ground and runs to every thing onthe front end. it also atacked to the bank sensor. there are two relays that sit below the bank sensor im guessing one for the turn signals and one for the headlight?

'

Old 04-02-2007, 07:58 PM

atv rider did u ever find the problem? we think we might have tracked down the problem to the gromet on the back of the speedo coming off and water geting in there. we saw a lot of the stuff runs into the speedo and when we took the speedo off and opened it up there was a fair amout of water in it so were hoping when it dries out that will fix the problem

Old 04-03-2007, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: atvrider07
I have an 01 F4i and went to start my bike the other day and when i turned the key on the fuel pump didn't prime. I thought that was weird but my bike started anyway and ran perfectly fine, just took a few extra cranks. Then i noticed my headlights weren't on, both turn signal indicators are on and my high beam indicator is on. And when i turn on my turn signal my bike shuts off. I checked all the fuses and they checked out fine. Anybody have any ideas? I appreciate any help.
I have the same bike & the same symptoms... interesting.

Anyways, I just dropped it off at the shop & I'll let you know what they tell me. They have already told me that if I need a new wiring harness (in shop terms that means we're going to give you a new wiring harness regardless of whether or not you need it), I'm looking at 15 hours labour!!! Can you believe that? At $75/hour... problem is that I don't really have a choice 'cause I can't fix it myself...

Old 04-04-2007, 07:18 PM

well i kinda fixed my problem. I took the headlight fuse out again and the fuel pump primed and all the indicator lights that were on turned off. seemed just fine except that the headlight was on. I put it back in as soon as it was started and it killed the bike and did the same old stuff again. I pulled the fuse again for the hell of it and started it and let it run for about 30 seconds. put the fuse back in and it worked fine. Dont really know what the problem was but its still running fine. The local dealer thought that my headlight relay was bad but i dont know. something to try out for those that are having the same problem

Old 04-05-2007, 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: atvrider07
I took the headlight fuse out again and the fuel pump primed and all the indicator lights that were on turned off. seemed just fine except that the headlight was on. I put it back in as soon as it was started and it killed the bike and did the same old stuff again. I pulled the fuse again for the hell of it and started it and let it run for about 30 seconds. put the fuse back in and it worked fine. Dont really know what the problem was but its still running fine.
How long has it been running okay for? It was just the fuse that you played with? In the fuse box just above & beside where the battery is?

Quick Reply: F4i Problems Help