F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i master cylinder upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StrikeAnywhere
Not really. I don't know you personally and I'm sure you're a real smart guy and might very well know a lot about bikes but in this case a lot of your post is wrong. Don't get mad, I wasn't born knowing anything, I've just learned as I go like everybody else. I'm sure you're just trying to help and thanks but in this case I do need a bigger master. It's actually a very common upgrade and of all the major OEM's and even aftermarket companies there exists every size bore and stroke master you could think of within reason. Certain theories by Bernoulli and other long decomposed scientists can seem to suggest that any size master would/could create equal pressure in a closed system since pressure is equal at all points in that system but its the amount of pressure that's key in my case. I can't run the brakes on my truck with a master off my bike even if the reservior from my truck was fitted to my bike's master. It's all a matter of strength where seemingly minute changes can result in major differences. Anybody that's upgraded please post up.

and I know a smaller bore would add more pressure, but I need different travel as well
StrikeAnywhere,

I'm a mechanical engineer and I'd like to learn a little more. Can you please tell me more about Bernoulli and the other decomposed scientists? You can get as technical as you like, I think I'll be able to keep up.

The following users liked this post:
Northern (06-15-2021)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BossMan
StrikeAnywhere,

I'm a mechanical engineer and I'd like to learn a little more. Can you please tell me more about Bernoulli and the other decomposed scientists? You can get as technical as you like, I think I'll be able to keep up.
At the risk of playing into your sarcasm of my own sarcasm you got to admit there is a difference and a master with a different sized bore and different length of piston travel is going to provide lesser/greater pressure or lesser/greater mechanical advantage when your right hand tells the pistons in the caliper to move. MC's of all sizes are available in combinations from probably 11x16mm to 19x20mm and everything inbetween. I'm sure you know a lot more about the science behind it than I do, I just know that what I need for my bike exists and I want to get the right part for as cheap as possible. I actually already found it last night when I posted this question on another forum, wish you had dropped by earlier.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 AM

Brembo 19x18 or 19x20 is the popular brand. R1's and R6's (don't know years) use brembo but I believe they are smaller (16x18 maybe??). These will increase feel and shorten lever travel (more pressure at the lever).

Did you bleed your master cylinder? Stock f4i MC's don't have a bleeder valve so it is a trick to bleed correctly.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 AM

And for the gsxr 1000 MC, they suck regardless of bore and stroke, i know because I have one . get vesrah srjl and your braking power will improve.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Aken
I think you're defending a want, not a need. I have stainless all around, and my bike stops great with the stock master.

Granted you're perfectly welcomed to that want, but that's why ssweetbro probably said what he did...
Agreed 100%. You should reconsider coming back as such a jerk to someone who gave you no flak whatsoever and was trying to offer some helpful opinions. (@Strike, not Aken)

You did read on the package for your new brake pads that you need to allow at least 250 miles of urban riding to allow your new pads to seat to your new rotors, right? It explicitly says that braking will be reduced until your pads have properly seated. You didn't say anything about it, so that's one consideration.

I have to say, you come off as quite the jerk here dude; asking for help and treating the person who gives it like a child.

Last edited by chuckbear; 06-10-2009 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Northern (06-15-2021)