F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

f4i is killing me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure both the kill switch on the bars and the bas only kill the fuel pump. They have nothing to do with the ignition. What happens when you hit the starter?

If the starter is making any kind of connection, the lights / gauges should dim at least

Old 10-28-2011, 01:03 PM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I am pretty sure the kill switch just controls fuel and not spark. But if you want to check for sure you can bypass the kill switch. I did it on my F4i when the pump wouldn't prime and got it to run but for the life of me I can't remember what wires I jumped together.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:10 PM

yea, i jumped it when i went home for lunch, it didnt help. this damn thing is going crazy man. i jumped it and the fuel pump primed, then 5 min later the fuel pump wouldnt do ****. im about ready to burn this thing.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM

could it be the switch? not putting power to the coils? i tested the wires all the way from the coils to the plug at the ecu at lunch too, every one is just fine. the switch is the only thing i can think of man.....

Old 10-28-2011, 02:05 PM

hey also, does the safety switch on the kickstand kill the power to the coils, or the fuel pump? that could cause it to not get fire.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I'm not positive what the kickstand switch kills power to but it will make it not fire. However if the bike is in N and the green N is lit up on the dash then the bike should fire so I don't think that is your problem.

So the fuel pump is not priming? If this is the case you can check the 12P gray highlight harness that connects to the main harness down by the left air intake tube. If this is not plugged in ALL the way or has any corrosion on it the fuel pump will not prime. That harness on my F4i would come apart ever so slightly and left me stranded a couple times. Took me over a year to figure out what the problem was. Now this will not make the bike misfire so if it is still doing that you have another problem.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:46 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Have you inspected the wiring harness itself? The whole problem sounds electrical. The connectors all have individual pins for each wire, and those pins can loosen / move around, causing intermittent connections (and a poor running bike). An all-around inspection of wiring might yield something.

Also, do you have a Power Commander or any other piggy-back ECU addons that might adjust the fuel or timing? If so, remove them until the bike runs properly, then add them back on and make sure they're functioning properly as well.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM

Guys, I think its the ecu. The ecu is actually making a humming sound. And the fuel shutoff and engines shutoff relays in the tail are not working properly and I replaced both if them today and still the same thing. I have checked and cannot find any broken wires at all. I used a meter to check for continuety.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Well it looks like your at the point that we all dreadfully hate that is to throw money and parts at the bike to see if it fixes it. You can buy a used ECU off ebay or PM itlnF4I and see if he still has his. If that does not fix your problem you can turn around and sell it and make most if not all of your money back and then mark that off the list. Without actually being there to listen to the bike or what not I can't be of much help, sorry man. Hope you get it fixed soon. I know all too well how much it blows to have a broken bike.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:08 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Or, if you happen to know someone who owns an F4i, you could see if you could hook theirs up temporarily to see if it fixes the problem. That would give you a for-sure answer without having to shell out for an ECU that might not even be the problem.

Quick Reply: f4i is killing me!!!!