F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Idle Problems....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Idle Problems....HELP

Ok, this is a long story and i guess i will just start at the top. I blew a spark plug out of the cylinder head for starters. I tear the whole bike apart and get all four cylinders heli-coiled so that i never have to mess with this again.... I have since put the whole bike back together replacing all gaskets, fluids and spark plugs... Now my bike will not start unless i crack the throttle and will not hold idle at all. If i let off the throttle it just dies out and it is not throwing any fi codes. I did a ton of trouble shooting and have check everything a million times, there is only one way i can get the bike to hold and idle and this is with the airbox completely off and the map sensor and iat sensors unplugged. The fi light will throw the code for these two sensors being bad but the bike will hold an idle.. This just blows my mind, and i am completely lost on what to do to get this bike going again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Thank you in advance.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:55 PM

is the idle cable hooked up? mine came loose about a year ago and i really threw me off until i figured it out

Old 08-06-2011, 05:11 PM

yes the idle cable is hooked up and works as it should...im disappointed that no one on here knows what is going on

Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 PM

ok i finally got around to working on this thing again. here is whats happening now. i have it all put together and im getting ready to sync the throttle bodies. i start the bike and its idle is around 3grand. im throwing no codes at all, the throttle response is great if i hit it. if i pull the hose off the map sensor the idle will go down, with no codes being thrown. i do not understand whats happening. any help from the community?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM

I sm not sure but mb the timing? and I am looking into this for my 02 f4i and possibly do you know anything about ignition timing?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ars1986
ok i finally got around to working on this thing again. here is whats happening now. i have it all put together and im getting ready to sync the throttle bodies. i start the bike and its idle is around 3grand. im throwing no codes at all, the throttle response is great if i hit it. if i pull the hose off the map sensor the idle will go down, with no codes being thrown. i do not understand whats happening. any help from the community?
as far as the high idle goes, is your coolant full?

did you get the problem of it not idling fixed? that was sounding like a vacuum leak to me, or a tps not plugged in or out of adjustment. but now it idles high...

Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 AM

ok guys finally back to fixing this thing. i have fixed the high idle, i took apart my whole wire harness and cleaned up all the plugs and re checked all the vacuum lines, everything is looking good there. now i am finally working on syncing the throttle bodies. i have a motion pro sync gauge and i calibrate it per manual instructions hook it up and try to adjust the settings so they are all the same.

I know i am supposed to have 2,3&4 all in sync with 1.
this is where i run into another problem. i can get 1&4 in sync together and 2&3 in sync together, but 2&3 are considerably higher than 1&4. there is no way to bring 2&3 down because i have run out of adjustment room on the screws.

i am completely stuck on what to do here.. if i had the cash i would take it somewhere to have it done, but there is not an option.

any ideas guys?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you're bike warms up, it should be idling around 1.3k rpm. You may want to recheck your ignition pulse generator, and its wires and connectors.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
when you're bike warms up, it should be idling around 1.3k rpm. You may want to recheck your ignition pulse generator, and its wires and connectors.
yeah the idle has been fixed. now the problem is in syncing the damn throttle bodies.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

off topic, but how are you testing the vacuum? i'm thinking about buying 4 vacuum/fuel pressure tester gauges and hooking them up.

Last edited by mnguyen84; 05-01-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: F4i Idle Problems....HELP