F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i dies randomly, help!

Old 09-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation F4i dies randomly, help!

I bought this bike back a few months ago, since have added a power commander and K&N and I had a danmoto pipe on it for a little bit but it was too loud so back to stock. the bike only has 12k miles and is a 2001.

My issue is I will be riding and the bike will fall on its face like I just hit the kill switch, The RPM's will drop to 0 and I will have no power.
If I pull in my clutch and the bike will return to idle or whatever i rev it too.
It happens once in a week or two or like the other day when I was with friends and we were hot rodding around it happened like 3 or 4 times in a couple of hours.
I pulled all the body off my bike tonight to make sure all connections were tight and they all are.
Only issue I found was that the fuel cut-off relay has been replaced with a HELLA relay of unknown AMPS from a previous owner. as well as a spliced pink wire on the ECM.
I've tested the angle sensor by tilting the front of the bike till it dies at 90 degrees both ways and that requires a key turn to get to start again and the kickstand which seems to be working good too.
So I'm stumped. I'm going to borrow the nice multimeter at work tomorrow to test battery voltage but I don't think thats it as the battery is less than a year old.
This issue has occurred while leaving from a stop or cruising at 45 mph or going up a hill at 25 mph and will take anywhere from 5-30 seconds before the bike will start running with clutch out again.
I've also had it fall on its face going around a corner almost killing me. If it makes a difference I'm running two 55w HID headlights off stock wiring with a 20amp fuse in place of the 10 amp and sometimes the BRIGHT light will not turn on unless I try it a bunch of times or turn the bike off and back on.
I'm going to take the power commander off too and see if that makes any difference.

Any answers or thoughts will be very appreciated I'm new to street bikes but know all the basics

Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the wiring to your kill switch and your sidestand.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 AM

Also check left handle bar switch, clutch switch and clutch diode. If that stuff is ok Then start looking around the head light wiring.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:58 AM

I don't know what you mean by clutch diode, and what I should be looking for when checking these places??

Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Buy or download a shop manual, its free on here. it will have all your answers.

Until then, look in your fuse box where all the small 10 amp fuses are. There is a small black three prong fuse looking thing, that's the clutch diode. Pull it out and test it. Test procedure is in the shop manual. Take the left handle bar switch apart to check for loose or corroded connections. Check/ clean and screw it back together. Procedures are on this site. Hope that helps.