F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Dead

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Dead

I've been looking everywhere for solutions and havent had much luck finding my exact issues so any help here is appreciated. ill probably give too much on certain topics and not enough elsewhere. I am no mechanic and have very little experience with vehicles.

2002 cbr 600 F4i

Out for a ride with my brother and following him on the highway, i feel a loss of power. everything sounds off and feels different. I try catching up to get his attention, honking and lifting the visor to try and get his attention but his headphones are in and he takes off. i finally pull off into a lot and turn off the ignition. i check it over and when i go to start it and see if it has changed, nothing. not the bas that i am aware of, seein the high beam indicator with the high beam off on the panel.

so im not getting a fuel pump priming and i finally call my dad and tell him to bring tools to check the fuses. i remove the seat and its dark so i swap the bas fuse and i get fuel pump on and start the bike. i get it home but on the way it starts acting up again. at this point it is late so i figures ill swap all fuses for brand new ones and thatll be it. i have had no luck since.

i was getting power to the plug where the fuel pump assembly plugs into so i assumed it was a dead pump. I just replaced the fuel pump only, not the entire assembly. the relay in the trunk clicks with ignition on and kill switch toggled. i get the f1 light and it stays on. there is no second relay click after 5 seconds. i got f1 codes at 1, 2, 9, 14, and now 15 after the new pump went in.

ive got limited funds due to an upcoming wedding and a stressed bride to be so any input that requires funds over 20ish will have to be passed on at the moment but will still be checked into as much as possible. im hoping i can get someone with another f4i to check out mine and possible try parts to limit other things.

again, any help is greatly appreciated since i am still paying insurance on the current bike shaped decoration in my parents garage.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would try clear the FI codes first, and see which one remains. the service manual has step-by-step instructions on how to troubleshoot those codes.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 PM

working on the codes but like i said, im no mechanic and i have issues figuring out which part is what.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 AM

from my experience, it is rare to have all those sensors go bad at the same time. they are either old codes, or you didn't connect the connectors and vacuum hoses right.

below is a cut-and-paste instruction from google on how to clear your codes. once you clear the codes, try starting your bike again. it will give you fresh codes, which is where you will start. keep us posted. Also... FYI. a solid FI light = 10 blinks

To reset the MIL:
1. Turn ignition off and engine stop switch to run.
2. Short the service connector.
3. Turn ignition on.
4. Remove jumper wire from the service connector.
5. The MIL lights for five seconds. While the light is on short the connector again. If you successfully erase the memory the MIL will turn off and then start blinking.

Last edited by mnguyen84; 06-06-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:43 PM

i went to attempt to reset the bikes codes and got a new wire with a solid copper core rather than the stranded wire i had that was bunching up and slightly unruly when trying to short the service connector. i was testing the new wire and was getting nothing, went back to the stranded wire and still nothing so right now i am getting no codes and am unable to short the connector and the relays stopped clicking with the toggle of the kill switch.

if anyone has any more ideas i will attempt them to the best of my ability but at this point i may need to wait and take it in after my wedding in a couple of months when i have money to spare. i will post the solution whenever it comes.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
from my experience, it is rare to have all those sensors go bad at the same time. they are either old codes, or you didn't connect the connectors and vacuum hoses right.

below is a cut-and-paste instruction from google on how to clear your codes. once you clear the codes, try starting your bike again. it will give you fresh codes, which is where you will start. keep us posted. Also... FYI. a solid FI light = 10 blinks

To reset the MIL:
1. Turn ignition off and engine stop switch to run.
2. Short the service connector.
3. Turn ignition on.
4. Remove jumper wire from the service connector.
5. The MIL lights for five seconds. While the light is on short the connector again. If you successfully erase the memory the MIL will turn off and then start blinking.

How do you do step 2 and 4?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:37 PM

with a paper clip