F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F@#$ing Figures

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F@#$ing Figures

So, my bike went down in the begining of june. Messed up real bad. I posted on it earlier. Well I got her running, and put back together ghetto style. Well, after 400 miles, I noticed some small things that I had missed.

1) My front fairing stay is tweeked. Tried to tweek it back but not satisfied with results. I am going to replace it. Now should I go with an OEM replacement setup or get one of the alum aftermarket ones? Any suggestions on which after market is a good replacement for a street bike?

2) I think I blew a seal on one of my front forks, is oily now. Wiped down and bounced the front end and more oil presented itself. How hard is it to rebuild them? How expensive? What if a shop does it?

3) I can smell coolant, cannot find it. Not on radiator, no leaking hoses, waterpump, etc... Any insight?

4) Need to tweek the front forks back to square, slightly off, and is eating up my right arm everyday.

Anyone in the Mt Vernon Washington area good at working on these bikes willing to give me a hand? I can pay in beer...

She is "ridable" for now. but she is going to need a lot more $$$ to get her back to normal.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Default RE: F@#$ing Figures

As for the fairing you do what you think is right and what your budget allows.

The fork however is not a easy fix. Taking all that carp off and assebling it back together can take up to 4 hours(straight). The seal and the hydrolics oil will cost you 25 at most but the labor will destroy any plan that you can have for that day.

You must have some keen smell if you can sense coolant vabor. Are you sure its not oil your smelling?
I have not seen your previous post but what side did you drop the bike on? If its left you probably cracked the alternater case.
Check the coolant once every while. Coolant is a bit hard to pick up if done by smell, by sight may be.

Do your thing!

Old 07-22-2006, 03:49 AM

It is not an oil smell. Definatly coolant. I did drop her on the left side. But replaced the stator cover. No leaks, there I am positive, doesn't evap off and there is no oil anywhere.

Are there any special tools I would need to rebuild my forks?

Old 07-22-2006, 02:02 PM

I'd buy a used OEM bracket off the classified section of this forum or eGay.

It's actually pretty easy to change out a fork seal there are many tutorials available online. If you do it, get the factory service manual. This will guide you through it. I'd recommend rebuilding both sides so that you can make them the same. You don't want to have any varience in the type of fork oil or the amount of air (which actually acts as part of the system) in either fork. To do the job you'll have to suspend the bike so you can pull the forks. I did this by screwing a heavy duty screw eye into one of the rafters in my garage and then making a small U shaped bracket that I bolted to where the tank bolts to the front of the frame. Then I used a "come-a-long" tie down ratchet strap to lift the front wheel off the ground while the rear was on a swingarm stand. This worked pretty well.

Coolant burning smells sweet. Oil smells distinctly different. Alekinci is right on with checking the stator cover. Those magnesium pieces hide cracks very well. Also check your thermostat housing. Mine leaked on me.

When you have the front end off, give the forks a very thorough look over to make sure you didn't tweak them. If your front end is off, you don't want to try to straighten your tripple trees. They're cheap enough to find a new set if they're bent. Also if the trees are bent, your forks are bent. You may want to spend the $100 to have the bike checked out at a shop on a CompuTrack machine. This will tell you for sure whether you're tweaked or straight, well, your bike that is.

I'm near Mt Vernon, NY. Probably a little too far for you.

Careful riding that thing while it's not moving straight. We don't need to add another rider to the RIP section.