F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F.I code (Map Sensor)

Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F.I code (Map Sensor)

Sup Yall?,

I was hoping to find someone who miight know a little somethin something about F4i's before I dump 70 bucks to my local dealer for a diagnosis......Anyway:

Every once in a while (when cold) I start up the bike and it throws an F.I. code. Two blinks. A little research shows that 2 blinks means faulty MAP sensor or MAP sensor connection. So....I bought a new MAP sensor for 160 bucks or so and installed it. DIDNT FIX THE PROBLEM! DAMN!

So....I'm kind of at a loss here. It doesn't prevent the bike from running.....it just runs with an EXTREMELY low idol until the bike is at full operating temp around 190 or so, then runs fine. If the bike is at normal running temp and I shut it off and restart it wont throw code and run fine as well.....really only when it's cold. Kinda like a cracked rubber line is being sealed once the warmth of the engine warms it up......hell, I dunno. Sometimes its time like these when I prefer carbs, lol.

Any help would be AWESOME! Thanks in advance. =)

Old 08-15-2011, 05:39 PM

No F.I. gurus out there?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know if the 06 had a FPR issue, but have you replaced the FPR?

Someone else will probably chime in about this.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM

I have had a similar problem and started after I the restrictor removed (UK cat A licence). It was occasionally coming on but seemed to occur every ride after I put new downpipes on and thought they weren't tightened properly.

I racked my brains and always thought I had solved the problem but it ended up being ALL the MAP hoses were full with an 'oily sludge'. I cleaned this out and all is well. I would suggest you check all the hoses if you can do this yourself obviously.

Blow some air through them to make sure they are not completely blocked, 3 of mine were but this 'sludge' made an inconsistent air flow through the hoses which led to the irregular FI light coming on. To clean them out, take all off and put something thin enough and smooth as to not tear them and push through. I used brake dust cleaner which dissolves substances like that.

If not, take it in to have the hoses checked as this is the usual problem.

Hope this helps

Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 AM

I am having the same exact problem as you CBRRYNO. Today i took out the vacuum hoses that connect to the air filter box. i blew some air through them with the air compressor. not much came out nor did sludge. but right now when i turn on my bike it does not idle low or anything when i first start it up. but im sure it will start popping up again. but the problem seemed to fix when i unplugged the MAP sensor and pluged it back in. so im not really sure?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Hmmm......that is some very good advice guys. I haven't changed th FPR but I know it IS an issue on these models when you get up in high mileage.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 PM

so you think your going to replace the FPR? i cleaned out my hoses didnt really find much in there but for a couple days my bike started up good. but then one day it started having the same problem again. so still trying to find some answers...