F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Exhaust Clearance.. need mod!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Clearance.. need mod!!

Hey guys... I'm new to the forum. I been having my F4i for about a year and a half now.... been doing track days and have had three deals gap trips. I find myself getting lower and lower on the bike. I've already upgraded to woodcraft rearsets because of the pegs scrapping, and now its the muffler. This past Saturday, I drug the muffler so hard it lifted the back tire and spun the bike out from under me.... the pipe has got to go... I was debating on a full system, but it doesn't seem the power gains are worth it from reading.... any suggestions on something with a nice mellow tone and won't hit the freakin ground???

Old 04-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Default RE: Exhaust Clearance.. need mod!!

yes i didscrape ex-MIVV exhaust on the twisties - leaned too much. My solution was to cut the muffler in half lol - shortened it by 1/3 and it was fine. I must admit that I then developed a bad flat spot which corrected with a PCIII. Nowadays I have an akrapovic exhaust and when leaning on my right i am a bit more conservative cos i dont want to rash it.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock pipe will scrape for sure.
what pipe are you running now?high mount won't scrape.

if you already have an aftermarket pipe (non-hm), try flipping the collar that mounts the exhaust to the passenger pegs so that the pipe sits closer to the swinger. make sure you check all clearances to make sure nothing hits the subframe, as it's likely that the midpipe will hit the subframe when the suspension fully unloads.

as far as akra, if you installed it correctly, the rearset will scrape or you run out of tire before the pipe hits. the pipe should be sitting more on the inside of the rear pegs. awhile back, the shop installed it incorrectly and i was dragging my midpipe at the track. i just flipped it the other way (i think it's how it's supposed to go in the first place), now my woodcrafts will touch down way before any of the exhaust ever does.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:11 PM

Yeah I still have the stock pipe, I'd rather not go with the high mount if I can get GOOD clearance with just a standard mount slip-on.... so you guys like the akra??

Tahoe SC... how do you like your woodcrafts?... I've only had mine on for a couple months, but I worry that when I fix the exhaust ima start dragging the pegs again...

Old 04-25-2007, 03:51 PM

Ok here's a more specific question..... I like the look and sound of the two brothers exhaust.... so does anyone know if the standard mount has good ground clearance? If not, will the high mount retain the rear pegs??... the website says no, but I did some searching and apparently some guys on here have types that do... thanks.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:11 PM

The TwoBrothers highmount doesn't retain the passenger footpegs. But you can get spacers and keep them.

The Micron highmount alows you get retain the passenger footpegs without any modifications.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:19 PM

woodcafts are good...you shouldn't scrape them as long as you retain good body positioning and your suspension is on par.
i'm not sure how much you weigh but know that when you get faster and faster, too soft of a suspension will compress too much in the turn, taking away the amount of lean you have and you'll start scraping parts.

i don't like high mounts, too many bends. yosh has a race mount that was perfect, but you can get that set up for the F4i with the two bros pipe, etc. just gotta adjust the midpipe and/or replace the rear peg with a bracket that will move up the pipe some.

i'm planning on fabricating one from Home Depot Racing.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:03 PM

F4i stock pipes are ridiculous, i had to cut and weld my **** so it wouldnt scrape during whoolies

Old 04-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Good info... that gets me pointed in the right direction... ima do a little more searching, then I whipping out the credit card...