F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

ebay fairing kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay fairing kit installed

I thought I would post up a couple of pics of a work in progress. Bike had been used briefly as a stunter before previous owner bent the front wheel discs and forks.

I bought it unregistered and put it back on the road. By my calcs saved me a couple of $K doing it this way and was quite a fun project.

ebay kit was surprisingly easy to install. I think we have all heard the horror stories. I actually thought i was in for a horror story myself, initially. The finish on the fairings was probably about an 8 out of 10. I think the clear coat is very thin, but on the whole the paint and sticker job was quite good. Only rough bits were around some of the mounting holes and the edges. But other than that no runs or anything. The material is not quite as thick as the OEM stuff though.

The headlight cowl required about 2 hrs of modification with the Dremel to get the headlight in. Eventually all went in ok though.

Once the headlight was mounted the side fairings all pretty much lined up. I only really needed to enlarge the holes. the rear duck seat cowl was a little more difficult. The cowl was very tight to fit. The two holes at the front of the cowl (near the tank) didn’t quite line up with the tapped threads in the subframe, so I ended up having to drill a hole through the frame and just bolting it through.

The front guard didn’t quite fit either and also required a fair bit to be cut out of it to get it over the forks.

The tank requires a repaint, long story… Paint colour doesn’t quite match, but I have now taken the bike to a paint shop who has done a colour match for me. So will pull the tank off again next weekend and respray it.

Attached Thumbnails ebay fairing kit installed-p3220012.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 07:14 AM

Looks hot!.. I love the high mount. Now just cut four inches off the pipe and get rid of that nasty undertail and she'll be one sexy bitch.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 AM

Attached Thumbnails ebay fairing kit installed-01.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 AM

I couldn't stand on mine how the rear sets and pass pegs were gray, i always say paint them. But i think with your bike it looks good because of the color fade in the plastics. You should take your ram air covers to the painter and have him spray those too.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:22 AM

finally got the pictures sorted user error

Attached Thumbnails ebay fairing kit installed-p3220012.jpg   ebay fairing kit installed-p3220011.jpg   ebay fairing kit installed-p3220006.jpg   ebay fairing kit installed-p3220005.jpg   ebay fairing kit installed-p3220003.jpg  

Old 03-22-2009, 07:29 AM

hey thanks, good idea about the ram air covers. I think i might do that. The painter is me...

I had painted the wheels and have sprayed a couple of coffee machines I have restored in the past. A guy from work fancied himself as a spray painter, and told me my wheels looked **** and that i didnt know what i was doing. So he painted the tank. it ran and made an absolute mess of it, and then told me to take it to a painter.

Although he just used a black acrylic for the tank that I used on the wheels, so the colour wasnt quite right. there is a slight blue metallic in the black. I went to a paint shop and got the colour match done. Yesterday I painted a pillion hard cover i bought, paint colour matched pretty well. Is a bit of orange peel in the clear but i put a few heavy coats on so it should sand out. colour match looks really close.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:39 AM

Also the pipe mount and undertail are not quite right. I had to have it registered and needed to take it to vehicle inspection place. so I needed a stock undertail and borrowed a stock pipe as the two bros is too loud for here.

I bought the pipe off ebay and it was minus all mounting hardware. So mount is just one I roughed up out of a spare bit of aluminum. Alignment isnt quite right either as the pipe requires the rear indicator lights to be removed. So i will need to work out what to do with that. i was thinking of cutting down the rear undertail and making up a new plate holder with some smaller indicators.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:56 AM

Yeah i lost my mounting strap for the exhaust. I need to make a new one. been ridin without it supported to the pegs.

Post up some more pics when you get it all finished up.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:18 AM

I would say too that if your buddy spray painted your tank, definately not a good idea, gas will eat it right off. (found out the hard way lol)

Old 03-22-2009, 05:46 PM

I'm worried about the part where you said you drilled the frame for a new fairing bolt. If you just drilled a plain old hole you probably seriously weakened the frame and can probably expect a crack to form.