F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is this an easy fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this an easy fix?

First of all, just joined cbrforum.com today! I am in the market for a F4i and found this one on craigslist but it's got a few scrapes and a cracked upper fairing above the left side headlight...is this an easy fix or would I have to buy new plastic? Just trying to figure out how much to haggle the price down...Thanks!!!

Here's the link to the ad:2006 Honda Cbr 600 F4i

Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM

I'm not sure, you may be able to glue it, sand, and repaint. You could touch up the right side and replace the decals if you wanted to as well. You can get a good set of fairings w/ everything on them from here OEM STYLE YELLOW - 04-07 F4I - $549.99 : Honda CBR Fairings - CBR 600RR/1000RR Honda Fairings - CBRFairings.com for about $550.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simplest is to wait on eBay until a front cowl in the same colour turns up and buy that.

Can also plastic weld it, or use something like plastech to repair it.

If it was me, I'd just plastic weld it to keep it together (google plastic welding) and not bother painting it but I don't really care what my bikes look like. Certainly worth considering if that is the only problem with it.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:03 PM

thanks for the info guys! I looked up plastic welding...seems easy enough

Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't throw more than $3200 down for it in a Tulsa market.
Pristine, if it's mechanically as stated, the $3800 would be fair.

What you want to do is look for similar bikes in your area, that
are clean. See what they are going for. The damage shown, as mentioned
above, should knock about $4-500 off those values.

Ern

Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 PM

yeah I was actually thinking $3200 would be good too...as for f4i's in my area, the real cleans ones are being listed anywhere from $4-5k, ones with a few scuffs anywhere from $2500-$4500...the one that I gave the link for is the closest to me at an hour and a half away....the rest are all 2-4 hours away

Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+ 1 to what Ern said.

Keep checking as something will come up.

Damage bikes can always get a price drop.

About the reported damage and repair. If the crack isn't too bad, it can be repaired, but you will probably have to get the fairing repainted and new decals. I had a badly cracked fairing from going down and I got it repaired + painted. What saved me from having to replace was that even though the fairing was cracked in two places, no plastic was missing. If plastic pieces are missing (especially around screw holes), repairing can be difficult.

Good luck on your search and keep hunting.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Figure out what you want to pay for it, then lowball like crazy and try to get to that point. If you can, bring cash for the max amount you're willing to pay. If it's $3,200, and the seller wants like $3,400, you can use that to your advantage. A fast cash sale will work in your favor. A couple of scrapes and cracks shouldn't make too big an impact unless you're crazy **** about your vehicle being in pristine condition. Things like crappy tires or other things that you'll need to replace ASAP are what affect value more.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:05 PM

i'll definitely be bringing cash when i buy one and i will keep looking through classifieds and online for better deals...the scrapes on the side fairings doesn't bother me, it's just the one next to the headlight i would want to fix so i don't have plastic flapping in the wind...the guy is supposed to be sending me some more pics today...i will have to go look at it before i make a decision...thanks again guys for the responses!!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:21 AM

ok the guy just emailed me some more close up pics of the cracked fairing...looks repairable(no missing plastic)...he also just told me that the starter button is half broken but it doesn't affect starting the bike...how much would that cost to fix?

Attached Thumbnails Is this an easy fix?-img_0068.jpg   Is this an easy fix?-img_0069.jpg   Is this an easy fix?-img_0070.jpg  

Quick Reply: Is this an easy fix?