F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dropped bike at 70mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped bike at 70mph

I was on my way home from work on thursday and it was really nice so i got on it alittle when i hit a pot hole and my front tire popped. The bike started going side to side like crazy and finally threw me off the last reading on the gauge I saw before I flew was 72mph. I landed head first then rolled for along time then landed in a ditch. If i didnt have my helmet on I wouldn't be here right now. I got road rash everywhere and some stitches. The doc said that bc of my size he thinks thats the only reason I didnt break anything. My bike slid on for awhile. I really couldnt see it anymore just pieces everywhere along the way... Im done riding forever after this one guys sorry. This is not worth dying for. My question is should I part out my bike or try and fix it then sell it. The damage is as follows- Both forks are bent all the way in which pushed the radiator in and up, front rim is half gone, both front rotors bent, all fairing are in pieces, gas tank has dent in it but doesnt leak, exhaust gone, pegs gone, rear brake pedal gone, headlight housing in pieces, mirrors gone, left handlebar gone along with controls on that side. The bike flipped and slid on both sides but my woodcraft frame sliders did work. The motor/trans and the whole frame and swing arm seem to be perfect still. Never touched any of the motor covers. The bike only has 5k on it. I think if I buy parts off of ebay and a new set of aftermarket fairings I would get more money out of it right? What do you guys think?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by MuscleswitCBR
I was on my way home from work on thursday and it was really nice so i got on it alittle when i hit a pot hole and my front tire popped. The bike started going side to side like crazy and finally threw me off the last reading on the gauge I saw before I flew was 72mph. I landed head first then rolled for along time then landed in a ditch. If i didnt have my helmet on I wouldn't be here right now. I got road rash everywhere and some stitches. The doc said that bc of my size he thinks thats the only reason I didnt break anything. My bike slid on for awhile. I really couldnt see it anymore just pieces everywhere along the way... Im done riding forever after this one guys sorry. This is not worth dying for. My question is should I part out my bike or try and fix it then sell it. The damage is as follows- Both forks are bent all the way in which pushed the radiator in and up, front rim is half gone, both front rotors bent, all fairing are in pieces, gas tank has dent in it but doesnt leak, exhaust gone, pegs gone, rear brake pedal gone, headlight housing in pieces, mirrors gone, left handlebar gone along with controls on that side. The bike flipped and slid on both sides but my woodcraft frame sliders did work. The motor/trans and the whole frame and swing arm seem to be perfect still. Never touched any of the motor covers. The bike only has 5k on it. I think if I buy parts off of ebay and a new set of aftermarket fairings I would get more money out of it right? What do you guys think?
Glad your ok man sounds like a harry crash, on your bike I don't know if it's worth
fixing post pics could part or sell as is.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 PM

if you replaced everything that was damaged you would get more money for it than parting it out and hope people need the parts that are still good..
depending how much you have in it and how much you want to spend fixing it, and the time it will take to fix it all depends on you..
for example if you have 3k in it now, spend $1500 fixing it so it doesn't look like it was down but can only get 4k out of it you are loosing money...
or you could sell it as is and not mess with it at all..
if the motor ran perfect tittle was still clean and the frame is strait you should be able to get a decent amount for it..

it's really up to you, if you wanna spend the time and money to sell it or not..

really glad you are ok tho bro...

Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 PM

Wow man. Glad you're around to post even if it is with bad news.

Sounds to me like you've got about 900 dollars in parts on a 3500 dollar bike fixed up. If you can get the parts cheap enough I'd say fix it. Like chris said, It's really all up to what you want to do.

Get better soon brother!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

part it out. Reason I say that is if the wheel and forks are damaged that bad it most likely tweaked the frame at the steering head. Only way to tell is have the frame check and that isnt all that cheap itself.

Glad your relatively ok and sorry about your bike.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 PM

I would have to see pictures. I assume you had liability insurance so your only option is to fix or sell wrecked right?

And before you make any assumptions, take off all of your fairings and thoroughly check the frame and every motor mount for cracks. A pot hole big enough to do that to your front end might not have left your frame/engine in as good a condition as you think.

Sometimes buying parts to rebuild isn't as cost effective unless you can get some serious deals, which means the bike has to be a few years old. Too old and sometimes parts get rare, too new and there are not enough parts out there. What model is it?

Last edited by Dissevered; 03-19-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 PM

+1 and the rear wheel n swingarm could be bent/tweaked too especialy if it tumbled end over end some.
Originally Posted by Dissevered
I would have to see pictures. I assume you had liability insurance so your only option is to fix or sell wrecked right?

And before you make any assumptions, take off all of your fairings and thoroughly check every motor mount. A pot hole big enough to do that to your front end might not have left your frame/engine in as good a condition as you think.

Sometimes buying parts to rebuild isn't as cost effective unless you can get some serious deals, which means the bike has to be a few years old. Too old and sometimes parts get rare, too new and there are not enough parts out there. What model is it?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 PM

Thank G-d you're alive! I agree with Chris, it all depends on how much you're willing to put in to it. Would you give it to a shop, or would you do the work yourself? If yourself then finainciall you'd probably make more rebuilding, other wise as is.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 PM

Glad to hear you're mostly OK. Sounds like everyone else has you covered on the bike angle.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow.. glad you are (relatively) okay!

Quick Reply: Dropped bike at 70mph