F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dropped bike at 70mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R Dub
Wow dude that is literally 15 min away from me. I live in Hanover Park. Well I hope that you heal up quick and that everything turns out okay. Family comes first so if you decide to hang it up that is respectable and I think everyone will understand. If you need help with ANYTHING and I mean anything let me know man and I will be there. And yes please everyone wear your gear as only good things can come from it.
Thanks alot bro I really appreciate that!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your alive. If this happens to me one more time I am done as well. I have to much to live for.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 PM

Heres a couple pics my wife took of my 06

Before: Name:  P2100282.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  151.8 KB

After: Name:  P3180358.jpg
Size:  128.4 KB

Name:  P3180365.jpg
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  P3210384.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  150.7 KB

Name:  P3210379.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  P3210381.jpg
Size:  99.3 KB

Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 PM
October 2011 ROTM

dang MuscleswitCBR you sure did some work there. Just from looking at it all and knowing that your done riding I say part it out. If you put it back to riding condition your going to spend a good amount of money in a new fairing set, new tank or at least a new paint job for it, new wheel, new rotors, new forks, headlight, exhaust, clip-ons, pegs and the list goes on not to mention the time you will have to put into it. Then once you sell it you'll probably get $3500-$4K I would think. Therefore the amount of money and time you're going to have to invest I don't think it's worth it. If the engine is still in good condition you should get decent money for that. If the frame and swing arm are okay then you can get some money for that. Then you can sell misc. stuff like the seat, cluster, rear shock, rear wheel, rotor, brake calipers, the tail fairing might still be okay. You can still get money for that tank just not top dollar. Get what you can for it then scrap every thing else. Just my

Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 AM

I would get an attorney on that like Sprock suggested. I had an accident a little over a year and 1/2 ago that involved a larger than normal hole (crater) that should have been taken care of. Thing will finally be getting settled at the end of april. So two years coming I will at least be getting something out of all the trouble I had. I got lucky though. Mine didnt do nearly as much damage as yours. Went down at 55 and the bike went down easy and basically just slid. I know in michigan they have laws on how large a deformity in the road can be before it is fixed. And from sounds of yours, it was large.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:37 AM

I'm agreeing as well for the attorney because just like the last guy, it sounds like a major pothole... that or you had a very low tire, and the pothole broke the rim and tire first, rather than after.

But as for riding. In all seriousness, Do what you need to do. If your nerves are shot, stop.
But... Just like I debated before I started years ago... I know I am going to likely go down at some point. Regardless, if I am safe, I may avoid it, many have, but it will probably happen eventually. If I am going to ride, I will not stop just because I had a wreck. If I would, I should not have started in the first place. I am the same way with sports, off roading, etc.
You may not have done this conversation seriously when you started, but have it now. If you cannot say I understand the risk, and it will not deter me if it happens again. Then do not ride.

No hate, no push, just the truth. Take care

Old 05-29-2011, 07:34 PM

man im glad to hear your ok fam... good thing you had a lid on. and also got lucky you didnt break any bones, my friend went down at 70 and shattered his wrist and had a colapsed lung so be grateful..

as far as the bike goes, you might just want to sell as is if you want to quit riding. i know when i had my last spill, i didnt want to ride anymore. but then i fixed my bike and i was just sitting in the garage all pretty so i had to get on it again.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 PM

hi sorry to hear your story glad your ok though funny thing is i have the same bike same color 06. What other gear were you wearing? and please dont take offense your bike was looking great but i didnt notice a stabilizer. it would have looked good with the gpr v1 version in blue. But enough of cosmetic crap, the reason i ask is because when you say you hit the pot hole you said your tire popped and the bike started going side to side which i would imagine is what is called a tank slapper and the stabilizers are supposed to help eliminate those, for anyone else who reads this, in a similar situation would a stabilizer have helped ?? i am a noob so please flame me for my noobness if you guys want.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:31 PM

Wow I havent check this in awhile lol. Thanks for the replys I actually fixed the bike up and was going to sell it, I even put it up on craigslist but slowly started riding more and more and now have decided to keep it. I guess I was just pissed that I fell but after riding again its so relaxing. Theres truly nothing like it. They only thing I need is new fairings and to get my gas tank fixed. I had an old set that is all scratched up which is making due for now. As far as gear I had my lid(which saved my life and if anyone rides without one there a retard) carhartt jeans, carhartt t-shirt and hoodie then I had a cheap jacket along with redwing steel toe works boots. I got so many scares on my hands arms and knees I cant even count lol. Youd be surprised at how fast the pavement eats layers of clothes lol. As for the Stabilizer that was actually going to be the next thing I put on the bike. They just cost so much so I was saving up. I honestly think it woulda helped me if I had one installed. My front tire popped and my rim cracked so I was going down no matter what but I think maybe it could of kept the bike stable alittle bit longer and give me a chance to brush off some speed and maybe let me kick off instead of being thrown off. Whos knows for sure but I will be buying one in the future thats for sure. As for the law suit I was doing double the speed limit and didnt put my insurance back on it plus I work for the town I crashed in lol so it wouldn't look good. If I was doing the speed limit I would of have seen the pot hole and had enough of time to move around it. I once read on this site that a true rider is someone who gets back on after being thrown off and I guess that stands true because its like a drug lol I can't quit but you can bet your *** I ride alot safer and always wear full gear now lol. Wear your gear and ride safe.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 PM

Glad to hear. I demand PICS

Quick Reply: Dropped bike at 70mph