F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Double Bubble windscreen question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Bubble windscreen question

After looking around I have decided to order a Zero Gravity DB Dark smoke and while I was looking around forums comparing pictures I found a forum saying that a DB windscreen will melt your gauges if left in the sun. Is this true? I havent been able to find one picture of this actually happening to anybody and I have also talked to my buddies who have been riding a long time and they said they have been running DB windscreens for years with no problems. I take my bike to work alot and its parked right under sun for 8hrs. Has this actually happened to anyone or is it just some bs? Thanks

Old 12-22-2010, 02:58 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read several stories on various forums where it has happened. One owner wasn't sure how burn marks got on his display but later learned it had to have been from the DB windscreen on his bike.

When you receive your screen you'll probably see a warning label in the box that releases the manufacturer from any damage caused by sunlight burning or melting your display. It is caused by the sunlight reflecting back off the screen, not shining through it, when the bike is parked facing north and it focuses it to a point on your bike.

I guess just be sure you don't park it facing north on a bright sunny day for a long period of time or carry a rag to drape over your display.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or you could move to the UK !

Old 12-22-2010, 05:32 AM

Surely it wouldnt happen with a dark tint db screen anyway.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...=melted+gauges

There is the story from here about the DB melting his gauge.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 AM

Dang I've had a double bubble for the past year and never heard of this. Good to know though!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by Monkeh
Surely it wouldnt happen with a dark tint db screen anyway.
The link in the post right after yours shows melting with a dark tint double bubble screen. The sunlight does not shine through the screen, it refects back off the inside and down on the display.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a super easy solution, carry an old towel/shirt, and just toss it over it. Problem solved, no questions asked.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:26 PM
R.I.P. Jason
Default DB windscreen melts gauges

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Just a bump on a couple of threads for those with or contemplating the double bubble windscreens. I added pics of mine so you can see the sun's effect. I have one small blemish because my bike sits in the driveway facing west. Since the sun rises in the east (and I forget to cover it after it cools down some nights) the morning sun hits the underside of the DB:Name:  365149f7.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  39.0 KBName:  bd259b04.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  185.3 KBName:  9fa52eab.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  219.9 KB
So you can see in the second picture how the sun focuses like a magnifying glass to pinpoint a hot spot (it was warm on my hand). Luckily I had only the small mark on the top side of the gauge not on the clear plastic so no distortion or anything. I'm sure its worse for others that don't know...and knowing is half the battle

Old 06-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Default PUIG Racing windscreen

Here is a before and after shot from OEM to the PUIG Racing windscreen. Oddly enough, it took two people to install the PUIG due to the awesome fitment.

Attached Thumbnails Double Bubble windscreen question-cbr-windscreen.jpg  

Quick Reply: Double Bubble windscreen question