F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

DOH! help a brother out

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOH! help a brother out

so you all know i lowered my bike 3/4"(19mm) in the front for quicker steering and better turn-in. didn't lower the back. anyway, my initial impressions after riding the bike a few times seemed like 3/4" was perfect. on my last ride i turned up the wick some and started draggin hard parts too easily. i'm gonna have to raise the bike back up some. i don't have a triple tree stand or any means of supporting the front end. whats the best way for meto lower the forks through the triples. i still want it lowered but only maybe half as much (maybe 10mm).am i screwed or can i pull this off with the lack of a tree stand or anyway to support the front end?any and all ideas welcome. thanks

Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Default RE: DOH! help a brother out

bump, anybody out there that can help a fellow CBR rider out? thanks

Old 04-04-2007, 09:50 PM

I have seen people that take their farings off and use straps around the frameand throw it around a beam or somthing in their garage to hold the bike up in the air.....who knows, anything is possible.......btw I was under the impression if you lower a bike that you are supposed to lower both front and back at the same time for it to ride good......is this not true?

Old 04-04-2007, 11:45 PM

You can use a tie down strap, wrap it thru the triple tree and hang it from the studs in the garage rafters.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've strapped up my bike from the handlebars too...(not the bars actually, the part around the central bolt in the steering) didnt seem to mess up anything. Put a piece of cloth or something where you put the straps around metal, else they could leave marks behind.
Hanging up the bike by the front is a very stable way of doing it too... the bike wont tip over as long as the straps are not freely sliding on the studs above.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 PM

there's no way i'm gonna be able to pick up the front end. could ijust slightly loosen the pinch bolts for one fork legandthen gently tap that leg down using ablock of wood and a 5 poundhammeruntil i reach the desired height, snug up the top pinch bolt, then do the other side to match. then torque everthing back up. thanks[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM

You still have to get it off the ground unlesws you got some magical way to tap the posts and the wheel still be on the groud. Those parts are connected. I don't have my bike but don't think you can do it without suspending it somehow.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put something under the block. The front end will be suspended. Tip the bike on the sidestand and have someone put the object underneath the headers. Go ghetto and use and old car tire and wheel or get a hydraulic jack and a 2x4.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:59 PM

good idea. i though about using my rear stand and my civic jack and a piece of 2x4 under the headers but i was scared i'd bend the header tubes. the sidestand idea sounds even better. so just lean the bike on the sidestand and place a block of wood or something tall enough under the headers to get the front off the ground.[&:] . now that i think of it, thats the way the owners manual tells you how to get the front tire off if you get a flat out in the boonies.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:34 PM

well wish me luck bros. i'm gonna raise her back up half-way (9.5mm) this afternoon. looks like i'll have to use the block of wood and tapping method or maybe my rearstand, my civic jack,and something under the headers. i'll take some pics of when i get er done.