F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

do valves really need adjusting at 16k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do valves really need adjusting at 16k?

To those of you who checked your valves at 16k, did they need adjusting or were they within spec? I think my bike has had a relatively easy life compared to most sportbikes and i'm debating whether or not to put in that much work if they don't need adjustment. Thanks.
________
HERBALAIRE REVIEW

Last edited by Rick619; 03-21-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:15 PM
July 2008 ROTM

A few mechanic buddies have told me that with today's more modern sport bikes, valves will rarely go out of place unless there's a problem. So if the bike doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong or different, don't worry about it.

That said, the manual does recommend it, and Honda wouldn't say to do it if they didn't find it to be a good idea. So use your own discretion, IMO.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:50 PM

My motorcycle mechanic (yes, the guy I pay to do work on my bike) told me valve adjustments are not needed at 16k. Unless you do stupid stuff with your bike you won't have to adjust, he also told me that you can definitely feel/hear the valves knocking if they do go out of place. It's close to a $1000 dollar job so yeah, I was glad he told me that.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by blackhawk411
My motorcycle mechanic (yes, the guy I pay to do work on my bike) told me valve adjustments are not needed at 16k. Unless you do stupid stuff with your bike you won't have to adjust, he also told me that you can definitely feel/hear the valves knocking if they do go out of place. It's close to a $1000 dollar job so yeah, I was glad he told me that.
What does valves knocking sound/feel like?

Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 PM

you wont so much feel it, but a tapping sound will be heard and it will increases in speed as you accellerate

Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by blackhawk411
I was buying some stomp guards today at a local dealer and asked about value adjustments. The mechanic guy said that the valves don't need to be adjusted until about 22,000 miles and that he'd charge only $150 for labor. I'm no expert so correct me if im wrong.

$1000 is a fortune!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:21 AM

I need to be a mechanic because it is easy as hell to do these valves. Mine were out of spec (exhausts all at .008) at 37000 miles. The valves had been adjusted before.. I would check them. It isnt that much work if you dont need to adjust and it gives you the chance to clean things on the bike while its apart.

I wish this was ohioCBRforum cos id be doing valve jobs left and right...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I got to say all of your mechanics are stupid. Do the check and save your head. My F4i that my brother bought at 2k miles started acting up at 8k which by the way, he didnt ride hard. He actually spent more time doing cosmetic crap to it than riding. Anyways point being by 16k you couldnt start the thing without holding the throttle wide open. He replaced everything electrical thinking it started acting up at 8k miles so it couldnt be valves. He got tired of it and i bought from him cheap. Checked the valves, every intake valve was out of spec and 4 of them were always open. Point being, do the maintenance procedures when specified and your bike will last alot longer. Sure your bike may not need it but if it does and you dont check it, you got alot bigger bill coming your way. oh by the way, i know have 24k miles on it and had to adjust them again. I realize that the head is sh** on mine but I know there is no way that only 1 '01 f4i had a sh**ty head on it.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 AM

I'm not having mine adjusted at 16k, it's just too much damn money.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I'm not having mine adjusted at 16k, it's just too much damn money.
They dont necessarily have to be adjusted but they need to be checked. I find the procedure quite easy. Eitherway, you can spend the money now or spend more of it later. Its all about choices.

Quick Reply: do valves really need adjusting at 16k?