F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Deep Gas Tank Dent

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep Gas Tank Dent

I have a dent about 3in length wise and 2- 2 1/2in width wise...it has creases and rust now and I'm trying to figure out how can I get the dent out myself...one person said fill it with water and seal it then freeze it and it might pop out the dent but that doesn't sound to reassuring to me...anyone have any home remedies to get a dent out or should I just buy a tank or turn it over to a person that deals with dents...i attached a picture to show the dent ... Thank you guys for any kind of suggestions, comments or ideas

Attached Thumbnails Deep Gas Tank Dent-imag1022-1.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Ouch!
I'd be looking for a new tank if I were you. It's unlikely that even a fully equipped body shop will be able to get that much better than it already prior to filling and respray.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 PM
July 2008 ROTM

First, find someone to check the condition of the inside of the tank -- make sure there aren't any cracks or potential problems there. If it has potential to affect your fuel, then you should definitely get a new one.

If it's clean, then it's up to you to decide whether you want to just fill in and paint over the tank, or get a new one without a dent. Most body shops won't even bother trying to fix the dent -- they'll just fill it in and go. That can lead to problems in the future if it isn't done properly.

Personally, I'd just find a good condition one, respray it, swap the fuel pump stuff if necessary, and go riding.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 PM

dent location on that is more cosmetic than function i would tap out any surrounding warping and fill in paint and take your time getting a new one.
or sell it on ebay and use the money for a replacement. people pay good money for a dented tank even know it's damage and not stunted..

Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 PM

well i have a dent on my tank Name:  IMG_0956_zpsbea21e3c.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  86.2 KB
my bike is a repsol editon 2013 mom backed out, hit my bike and it fell over and hit my brothers truck
i took it to a collision repair place and it would have cost more to pop it out and paint then the new tank thankfully the dealer was able to find the tank

u may want to look into finding a tank might be easyer to get and install the new tank then going through the trouble of popping the dent out and of corse the metal tank and body lines will never be perfect after u pop it out...
needless to say people might not noticed the uneven lines or cresses in the metal but its all about how u feel it may not come out perfect but if u dont mind it not looking perfect then try doing the dent removal but weigh the cost of popping it out to the cost of a new one...

just my two cents..

Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by YvenelC
I have a dent about 3in length wise and 2- 2 1/2in width wise...it has creases and rust now and I'm trying to figure out how can I get the dent out myself...one person said fill it with water and seal it then freeze it and it might pop out the dent but that doesn't sound to reassuring to me...anyone have any home remedies to get a dent out or should I just buy a tank or turn it over to a person that deals with dents...i attached a picture to show the dent ... Thank you guys for any kind of suggestions, comments or ideas

if you buy a new tank i might be interested in buying that one off you ...depending what kind of deal we can work out

Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 AM

I went ahead and purchased a new tank from someone parting out a F4i, and yea ill sale this tank, I have no use for it now, once I get the new tank painted it'll be ready to sale

Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM

just Pm me the price or post a for sale ad up in the for sale section