F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

DAMN CARS AND MINIVANS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAMN CARS AND MINIVANS!!!

I dont know if htis is the place to post this but dammit people watch out for us motorcyclists!!!!
I have an 04 F4i yellow/black and wear a Icon yellow jacket and yellow helmet kinda hard to NOT see me I think...well this past Saturday some chick pulls out in front of not stopping for HER stop sign and I almost crash into her she shrugs me off. Then today Im driving on the highway and some guy in a minivan decides to pull over to the lane Im in not using blinkers or anything, I pull onto the shoulder of the road and hit my horn (which he cant hear) and slow up looking at him and he just looks over at me and keeps driving. When are the manufacturers going to put blow howns on the cycles? Stupid stupid people. I get them all the time pulling into my lane and I have 2 Bros pipe that is loud in the freeway. Turn down yur damn stereo!!!!!
Sorry just had to vent, almost to crashes in two days. My wife was driving behind me on the freeway and I thought she was gonna freak! Be careful out there peoples!!!!

Old 08-29-2005, 01:53 AM
Default RE: DAMN CARS AND MINIVANS!!!

I think we all have stories like this. I had a car turn in front of me the other day. Had to get on the brakes quick and luckly I got stopped. To many don't though and get hurt bad or killed. It amazes me how much people just don't pay attention. Hell people hit cars all the time and they are alot bigger than a bike. Just have to watch for others I guess.......

Old 08-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are preaching to the choir. All of us who ride have numerous close calls with cagers. They're big and can crush us like a bug so YOU gotta watch out for them. Hey, it ain't fair but it's the truth.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:21 AM

yea i know
i guess you dont realize how bad it really is until it happens to you. I have had a much more appreciation for motorcyclists since i started driving one. but it reallly irks me when they dont even acknowledge you when they are in the wrong.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:36 AM

I feel your pain. I have had several people pull out in front of me, cut me off, u-turn in front of me... It does get frustrating. BUT, they did try and make this point in the MSF course I took. You need to always be looking ahead and identifying all possible situations ahead. I generally do this and assume that every car at a side street will pull out in front of me and every car at a merge or 2 lane highway will cut me off. Riding this way, when they actually do this stuff, I am prepared to deal with it since I am expecting it.

A friend once told me that as a motorcycle rider, we must take full responsibility for not getting hit. Meaning, if you get hit, it is your fault. Even if a car technically is at fault, it is still yours since you should have anticipated it and gotten out of the way. This has been a tough pill for me to swallow, but as I ride with this attitude I find I am much more aware and ready to advoid potential incidents.

If it makes you feel any better, it seems my wife's black Honda Civic is invisible. When I drive it I am always getting cut off and people pulling out in front of me. So it is not just with bikes.

Ride safe!

Old 08-29-2005, 12:38 PM

I agree with Curt, and that the horns need to be louder.

I try to anticipate the worst at all times. I avoid all freeways when possible since the majority of motorcycle accidents occur at ramps where traffic merges. I also keep high beams on at all times during the day.

There have been occasions where I'll see somebody behind me who's on their phone, or has their radio up, or both, and I don't think they're paying attention. I'll turn off the road and let them pass. It's these types of drivers that are rear-ending others.

Assume the worst, stay alive.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:31 PM

I reflect what curt said,
I cant talk because i cut off a Harley rider in my truck about 6 months ago. i felt so bad, i looked as i merged . i dont know if he was behind me and sped to the lane that i was going to or i just plan didnt see him. I prayed to the motorcycle gods to let this one slip . Living in san diego i run across alot of Tourist who are almost as bad as drunk drivers. cause they turn and come back into your lane. also cell phones , and my MOst hated mini van would have to be the Ford Aero star , about a 89 modle. I wish i could smash one up. Also since we venting , in California whats with the Big Trucks old f150 with metal bars up high hauling Furniture to mexico.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Fox
Banned

I always ride like I'm invisible. For the majority of the forum members this is nothing new, but maybe a n00b or somebody thinking about getting a bike soon can learn something from this reply.

1. Don't ride in blind spots which are usually around 5 and 7 o'clock. Some vehicles w/ higher rear decks can have even larger blind spots.
2. Never ride at the pace of other vehicles on the freeway, I make a point to go faster than the fastest four-wheeled car (NOTE: This might involve you surpassing the posted speed limit, however I'd rather be ticketed than killed).
3. Ride w/ your high-beams on during daylight riding.
4. Never ride on an empty stomach, w/ emotions in your head, or intoxicated. Distractions can be fatal.
5. Keep your machine in tip top condition.
6. Always wear your gear. Replace your gear if it is no longer functional (e.g. helmet impact on pavement).
7. Use your turn signals whenever executing a turn, even in turn-only lanes.
8. Flash your brake light when slowing down and when at stop lights.
9. Look for escape routes, esp. at intersections.
10. Never blow a red light. Use extra caution at intersections because that's where a majority of motorcycle-related accidents happen.
11. Never ride above what your experience dictates.

Second guess everybody. Ride like your invisible. Cagers that you think will pull in front of you seldom disappoint.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:19 AM
Fox
Banned

ORIGINAL: kiggy74

I agree with Curt, and that the horns need to be louder.

I try to anticipate the worst at all times. I avoid all freeways when possible since the majority of motorcycle accidents occur at ramps where traffic merges. I also keep high beams on at all times during the day.

There have been occasions where I'll see somebody behind me who's on their phone, or has their radio up, or both, and I don't think they're paying attention. I'll turn off the road and let them pass. It's these types of drivers that are rear-ending others.

Assume the worst, stay alive.
The Hurt Report collected data that suggested that nearly 100% of the accidents recorded were below 75 mph. The freeways are statistically safer for riders probably for two reasons. Primarily because traffic never intersects; Traffic is flowing in parallel. The second reason, and perhaps carries a little less weight, is that motorists that are operating vehicles at higher speeds are generally more alert and therefore are in more control of their vehicle. However, a majority of cagers and riders alike view operating a motor vehicle as a secondary activity and are therefore likely to brush their teeth, read newspapers, analyze road maps/GPS, blast stereo, etc. while operating a vehicle which needlessly creates a lethal element on the roadway.