F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cylinder head question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder head question

it's been a wile, sold my f4i and regreted it ever since.. working on a friends 01 f4i.. he did an oil change and used a fram filter less than 200 miles later it started ticking the hotter the engine the louder it gets.. he thought it was in the low end and bought a motor.. i just got the old one out newer one in, did compression test one cylinder only has 90 psi went to check others and as it builds compression it has a low end knock, it does it on the other three cylinders but not the one with lower compression.. so i'm thinking it would be easier to get a good head and put on old motor.. it ran great just had the ticking, as far as i could tell it was in the top end..

i know 99% of the f4i from 01-06 are the same.. was wondering if the heads are the same? found a 06 head for $170 on ebay looks great, just wanted to make sure it will work..

thanks guys..

btw i just tradded a 79 xs1100 chopper i had $900 in for a 02 yamaha fz1.. its ok but i'm more of a honda guy..lol..

Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 AM

did you do a clearance check on the valves???{just didn't mention that part} is it a tick or more of a slap ?? so get the feeler gauge out and check them to manufacture specs before you go and blow money on a head that may not be needed. too tight could cause compression loss burnt valves piston slap and so on and so forth.... and it has to be STONE cold.. might have a more than one issue....

not meaning to come off the wrong way just my 2cents...

Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 AM

i have not checked vavle clearance yet.. its sounds more like a ticking kinda like a dry lifter..i'm just worried he bent a vavle.. i have seen one other time a friend used a fram filter on a r1 and a rod shot threw the block.. was told the inside of the filter crushed and didn't allow oil flow..

any chance you know what the clearance spec is to intake and exhaust on the 01 f4i?

Old 11-24-2012, 12:39 AM

.20mm +/-.03 intake .28mm +/-.03mm exhaust

STRONGLY recommend looking for the download of the service manual..... you need torque values spec. on everything you will get more answers from that than you can believe

Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 PM

ok i found a video on youtube that has the same noise..

i checked compression and all 4 cylinders have about 130 psi but since motor is out of the bike and cold i figured thats about right, right??
as far as vavle clearance i could not get even a .008 inbetween cam and lifter.

the weird thing is from the way i understand it the bike was running fine till he changed the oil. he noticed a loss of power then the ticking/ rattling noise started..
its not that bad cold but after it heats up it gets loud..

can it be that the shims are too big and needs adjusted?
and yes i lined up the marks so the cylinders are at tdc when i checked for clearance..
any help would be great.. thank you for the help so far..

i did notice at one point i bliped the throttle and the noise went away for a second but came right back..

Last edited by crazychris1981; 11-26-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:40 AM

are you talking in imperial inches or metric.... cause if that is inches

tightest it can be is .0098 on the exhaust
and .0066 on intake

.... if that is metric then stop running the engine before the valves are roasted or bent BAD... go through the proper shim guidelines offered in the service manual.... see where you come out

i STRONGLY suggest you get a service manual

Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 PM

i got my feeler gauge from auto zone the smallest one is .008/.203 mm..

the motor is not in the bike anymore and i only ran it for a min. or two to figure out where the noise was coming from..

i did find on two other forums two other motor with simular problems, changed oil and soon after started ticking/ knocking.. one had scared up in one of the cylinders and the other had scared up in the cam holder.. so it looks like i get to tear into it a little deeper..

Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 PM

go get another set of feeler gauges they have them that go farther.... i would focus on a step by step personally.. you are your own person... but you are going to take the cam holder off to do shims anyway ...plus after you rip it apart you are going to have to check and adjust the clearances...

i would check them.... i personally wouldn't over look anything you might get yourself in deep into something with a simple issue...

i am not making judgement and i am not telling you what to do ..i am just stating my view and in no means want to offend you ... good luck friend