F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Crooked Handlebars/Front End *FIXED*

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crooked Handlebars/Front End *FIXED*

alright so ive got a problem that has me and all my riding buddies stumped. i noticed that when riding straight, mainly on the highway since thats where i do most of my straight riding, that my handlebars and entire front end are crooked. it seems like my handle bars are turned 5-10 degrees to the right. however, the bike still rides perfectly straight. i can take my hands off and it doesnt pull or anything. nothing is bent either, so thats what makes it even more strange. anyone ever heard of this? anyone have any ideas on what i should check out? even though it doesnt seem to have an impact on the bike, i still know that its not right so i would like to fix it. let me know what you guys think!
________
Catastrophe bond forums

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:13 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Crooked Handlebars/Front End

Sounds like your forks and/or tripples are bent....[sm=insomnia.gif][sm=smiley3.gif]

Have you taken it to a shop to have them check the straightness? I'll bet you anything you got bent forks

Did you check your fork seals to make sure they're not leaking?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:01 AM

on each clip-on there are two tabs that extend down near the pinch bolts for the tripple clamp that keep them from rotating on the forks, check to make sure those aren't bent/damaged before you pay somebody to measure everything
its a long shot that those would both be damaged but it would be a lot cheaper to fix than bent forks or tripples
forks are also fairly easy to check, take them off and take a good look, even roll the tube (top half) on a table with the bottom half hanging off, it should be pretty obvious if one is bent
if your bike has been crashed I would suggest taking it to a GMD Computrack shop or something similar and have everything measured and checked for allignment

Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 AM

thirdgenlxi, i really really really really hope youre wrong.....

i checked the fork seals. they are definately not leaking. the forks are just a little shiny above the seals from being compressed, but definately not leaking.

if i had bent forks wouldnt i notice a problem? wouldnt the bike wobble or shake instead of riding perfectly straight?
________
Lamborghini Lm001

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen a situation where the top and bottom trees don't line up causing the situation above. I've got about a 5deg offset too, but sometimes I think it's just in my head....now I'm not sure.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:14 PM

My '06 F4i came off the showroom floor the same way (5- 10 degrees offset). I didn't notice it until about a week later (new bike excitement and all!). It doesn't affect the ride so I just ignored it.

Then again, it could be some sort of optical illusion.[8D]

Old 04-16-2007, 02:59 PM

That's what I'm thinking. Sometimes it looks straight, sometimes not. I ignore it too

Only cause it's relevant: Some older bikes were built crooked purposely from the factory. Kawasaki's 80's superbike came off the salesfloor with a twist in it that gave race builders fits.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:07 PM

thats pretty strange that it would come off the floor crooked. ive been doing some more research, and i found out it can happen from the top and bottom triple trees not being aligned. it can also be from the back tire not being straight. im gonna check both these out and ill let you guys know!
________
Bmw e70

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:40 PM

what are u using to gauge that the handle bars are strait?

i ask this cuase on my bike if you gague them off the front fairing you would thing they were off two but if you went from the tank or frame they look strait. i guessing my fairing stay is bent.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: axsys

. ive been doing some more research, and i found out it can happen from the top and bottom triple trees not being aligned.
I suppose that could be the reason.

Quick Reply: Crooked Handlebars/Front End *FIXED*