F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Couple of downfalls of the F4i

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Couple of downfalls of the F4i

ORIGINAL: birdstrike

Yes jaybird180 you figured me out...........I don't even own a bike, i just come here for attention!

Anyway I was really hoping to get some feedback on problems I've seen from my bike. Some of you have seen similar problems, thanks at least I'm not totally crazy.
birdstrike, be proud of your F4i man! The F4i was no "2-year also ran" in HRC history. Remember that the basic chassis was intro'd in 1999 as the F4, which won the AMA SS championship in 1999 (nicky hayden) and 2000 (kurtis roberts). Not bad, huh!! That was 10 years ago, sure. But it will still kick *** in amateur racing and track days today.

If you're running stock springs (esp. in the front), you can expect to have all kinds of problems trying to ride at track speed. Bikes of that era (particularly Hondas) came with OEM valving and springs that was pretty much a pogo stick on wheels. Ohlins shocks for that bike can be picked up for chump change these days. Get one, have it re-sprung for your weight if needed and get the forks worked onand you will see just how much bike you really have. With the raised reasets you already have, that should take care of dragging toes/pegs. If it doesn't, check your body position in the corners. High foot should have the heel on the peg, ready to stomp it hard if the rear end breaks loose.Toe should be pointed out. Low foot should have the ballof yourfoot on the peg,with the inside edge of your foot pushed up against the rearset bracket.I assume you're counter-steering...

Someone offered that you change to GP shift....good advice. Do it if you haven't already. Provided you are shifting smoothly and deliberately, your gear change problems will go away w/o aftermarket star wheels and all that.

No punch out of the corners?? With a -1/+3 set up, you should be carrying 4"+ wheelies out of slow corners. Either you are not carrying enough RPM/speed or something is not right with your F4i's motor. Midrange was this bike's calling card. Another poster mentioned he did not like carrying "13k with his knee on the ground". Well ok,we all do have to go to work on Monday after all. How 'bout 9 or 10K...? Its a 4 banger after all. If that's too high, don't get a 600RR. You need a twin!! - VE

Old 10-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Couple of downfalls of the F4i

The front/rear suspension is key on this bike unless ur same Asian. Wait, I'm Asian but kind of tall for one. The stock suspension is set at 160 lbs.