F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm... the stator thing is different. randyjoy mentioned something about a drain plug between the cylinders. I'd follow up on that. You say you went to work and found the leak in the same spot? If you didn't ride to work that'll prolly mean it's a hose or a bolt somewhere. Without the stress and pressure of the engine running, it'll be something weeping where ever coolant sits.

If you cleaned the entire engine and it's leaking without the bike running, you should be able to trace it with your finger back to the point of origin.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cylinder drain bolt is to the right, the stator cover is to the left. no relation.

im going to give the gaskets a shot, if not, then ill replace the hoses. like i said i ran the bike when i got home and still, nothing. it doesnt present itself until its been sitting there for a while.

dude, i thought about that too but i cant trace it. i mean the way ive been following it i would conclude that its a gasket. about the stator, idk man, maybe it just travelled some how but it still follows the gasket lines and thats why i asked if there is coolant in the stator thing.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by efeliciano13
never mind, it to the right of the water pump right?
Sorry, didn't make myself clear. The bolt at about 3 o'clock on the water pump is the water pump drain bolt (not the one you're pointing to, but to the right). It should have a crush washer. The one you're pointing to does not have fluid behind it, it has to pass a gasket if it is actually leaking near there. Only the drain bolt has fluid behind it, the other bolts are just attachment points.

The cylinder head drain bolt is up close to where the cylinder head is, just above the split, kinda centered on #1. It too should have a washer. It could be running down to the stator, at least it is something to check.

No coolant in stator.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered Users

so my wifey decided to surprise me and dust powder along the water pump and stator cover gaskets because she thought it would reveal the leak, but it did not for one and two she crossed the boundary of man and machine, this isnt csi. i freaked out!!! nevertheless it didnt even leak then i cleaned the powder off and waited a few hours and no leak, so i believe it is the gasket given that the powder probably clogged it. so i ordered the stuff and should have everything done by next sat... wish me luck.

randy i have no idea where youre talking about for the cylinder drain bolt. i think i know but not positive.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol actually it was a pretty good idea.

She's not really crossing the man / machine boundary till you come home and find she's changed the oil and adjusted the valves

Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Registered Users

Lol, but it stopped leaking so it must have been the water pump gasket, weird.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:49 AM

I had the same leak and I replaced the gasket. leak fixed. Honda said it maybe the water pump cause of winter storage. Pull it off and eye ball it. 4 dollar part for a 3 dollar fix. All is well and put 1k km's on it since.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Registered Users

ok so i changed the gaskets, need to pick up some coolant in the morning to refill but i have a question. it was difficult to get the radiator cap off due to the air ducts but i got it off. now how do i get it on, i dont think i can squeeze it back in. i tried figuring out how to remove the duct with no luck, then i tried moving the radiator with no luck. i can get the radiator off that one grommet near the radiator cap. help!

Old 04-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Registered Users

so i was putting everything back together and all went well until i put the water pump drain bolt back on. i stripped it! i tried a new bolt and the old one and it leaks more than ever. ****!!! help me out, do i need a new water pump since the threads are in the water pump?

Old 04-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EEeeesh man, ya gotta be careful with aluminum threads. You ca try to re-tap them if you're handy or get a heli-coil kit. They're kinda expensive but so is a new block if you cant fix the threads.

Quick Reply: coolant leak