F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Considering a 2001 F4i, need insight!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And not to mention, that V-Twin gets you a HUGE break on insurance too over an inline 4. I ended up with the F4i after not being able to find a decent SV1000s (which I REALLY wanted), I felt like I was too tall for the 650. Best of luck to you though, I hope you find a deal on something nice out there.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SMoke from the exhaust is probably from the old gas in the tank,seeing that the bike has been sitting for over a year.
It happens to me sometimes when I start my bike up the first time in the spring even when using Sta-bil fuel stabilizer.
I would be more leary of the custom paint and polished frame/wheels.
That is done sometimes as a way to finish off any scratches on the frame/swingarm, etc.

I would personally keep looking for one that is more in stock trim than customized.
Good luck!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 PM

I agree... the polished frame aftermarket paint, etc. is probably to cover up damage from a drop. not that dropping a CBR would hurt it terribly (all my bikes were dropped before I bought them, how else could I afford 3 bikes at a time?). Let's see a picture or better a vid of the bike in question.

as for a cheaper option... older CBR might make you happy... my 1991 CBR F2 is damn fast (definitely beat out the mustang). the F2 is slightly heavier and slightly less powerful (than the F4i) but will still try and pull your arms out when you get on it... still loft the front wheel with ease but your $2000 budget will get you a well looked after bike and still have some coin left over for some gear.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
I have 2.. a mostly stockish 99 GT and nothing is stockish 88 GT.. lol
The F4i is a great bike.. on almost every level...
Ahh the good old 5.0's. Looked at a few before I bought my 2000, can't say I don't regret not getting one of them instead.

Originally Posted by 115Degrees
For a lower budget, you may look at an SV650s. They are way more common than F4i's so you can usually find better deals. They won't be quite as fast as the F4i, but I'm sure they're fast enough to pass the Mustang test.
Yeah I have definitely been keeping my eye open for an SV650 or SV1000. Sexy bikes, great motor... I love the high-pitch V-twin wind.

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
the SV650S is a great bike.. especially with the lower fairings on it.. a great looking bike... and it was on my short list of bikes when I was looking... the only thing I couldnt get past was the Vtwin sound.... I prefer the inline four sound so much more...
Check on youtube for some great exhaust note vids... but if you like the sound the torque is great.. awesome bike...
I agree except I can stand the exhaust, lol.

Don't get me wrong, an I-4 on a bike at 12,000+ RPM's is like no other sound. I don't discriminate, lol.

Originally Posted by 115Degrees
And not to mention, that V-Twin gets you a HUGE break on insurance too over an inline 4. I ended up with the F4i after not being able to find a decent SV1000s (which I REALLY wanted), I felt like I was too tall for the 650. Best of luck to you though, I hope you find a deal on something nice out there.
Yeah I've been comparing prices and the F4i is expensive. The SV650 is quite a bit less, a Bandit 1200 is even less than the SV.

I was going to buy a Bandit 600, but the deal fell through.

Originally Posted by hondajunkie
SMoke from the exhaust is probably from the old gas in the tank,seeing that the bike has been sitting for over a year.
It happens to me sometimes when I start my bike up the first time in the spring even when using Sta-bil fuel stabilizer.
I would be more leary of the custom paint and polished frame/wheels.
That is done sometimes as a way to finish off any scratches on the frame/swingarm, etc.

I would personally keep looking for one that is more in stock trim than customized.
Good luck!
It definitely could be from old gas, but why oil colored (blue?). I may be overlooking it, but just being cautious.

From what I could see the frame wasn't dented or noticeably banged up, but then again fairings get in the way of seeing all of it.

Originally Posted by Bently600
I agree... the polished frame aftermarket paint, etc. is probably to cover up damage from a drop. not that dropping a CBR would hurt it terribly (all my bikes were dropped before I bought them, how else could I afford 3 bikes at a time?). Let's see a picture or better a vid of the bike in question.

as for a cheaper option... older CBR might make you happy... my 1991 CBR F2 is damn fast (definitely beat out the mustang). the F2 is slightly heavier and slightly less powerful (than the F4i) but will still try and pull your arms out when you get on it... still loft the front wheel with ease but your $2000 budget will get you a well looked after bike and still have some coin left over for some gear.
Definitely open to an older CBR or older sports bike in general.

The owner says he has not dropped it, but it likely was dropped by the original owner who had it repainted. The title is still clear, but if it was fixed outside of insurance there'd really be no reason for it to be salvage.

Anyway... here's a few pics of it.

Name:  022-2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  100.5 KB
Name:  023-2.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  112.6 KB

Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 AM

For some reason I keep coming back to wanting this bike.

I called the guy and let him know that I really like the bike but the few concerns I have are going to keep me looking. He was cool with that, said if it sells cool, if not then he'll ride it when he's back stateside.

My rationale; the price. Yes, it does have minor problems but overall it is a solid bike. I'm just thinking about painting it with a nice white and black scheme. It'd be my first bike, it's not perfect so if I drop it then it's not tearing up a pristine bike.

If it wasn't for the smoke I'd have it as of today. It wasn't a ton, after it warmed up it didn't really do it. Oil looked clean in the sight.

Oh, and another thing... are the turn signals missing, or am I blind? Are the rear signals integrated in the tail-light (I assume so), looks like the fronts have been shaved...

Dammit.