CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   compare RR and F4i for new rider? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/compare-rr-f4i-new-rider-20010/)

ikhoudvanu199 08-03-2006 07:01 PM

compare RR and F4i for new rider?

hey guys and gals...im a new rider, and im really kind of deadset on getting a CBR600 as my first bike. i originally thought the RR would b better, but i have heard from numerous people, including the sales rep at the local bike dealer, the the F4i would b better for me. im not a very big person, 5'7" 130 lbs, and i know that the ride height is different on the 2, the F4i is shorter. but the dealer had an F4i out, and i didnt have a problem sitting on it at all, and dont think i would on a RR if its only a few inches higher. so could anyone give me the pluses and minus and mayb a reccomendation for me between the 2? thanks:D

PitbullF4i 08-03-2006 07:43 PM

RE: compare RR and F4i for new rider?

both great bikes, f4i is alot more comfortable, that why i went with the f4i, i have riden both, the RR is a little bit fast btu nothing a powercamander and a pipe wont fix, its really your prefrence, but remember whitch ever one u go for respect the power if ur a first time rider.

sbv32 08-03-2006 08:11 PM

I personally think you should go with a 01 or 02 f4i. They are cheaper than buing a new one, don't have the banana seat and are a great bikes to learn on.

If your set on buying brand new, go with the RR.

Since your a new ridder I would suggest the MSF course and plenty of practice time before you get out there and just ride.

Blackdog F4i 08-03-2006 11:48 PM

I personally think you should go with a smaller bike.

A modern 600 ESPECIALLY a F4i or 600rr is too much bike for a beginner. Would you teach someone to drive in a McLaren? How about a Ferrari Enzo? That is the kind of performance you are talking about. Starting on a smaller bike (Ninja 250 or 500) will make you a better rider. Then when you step up to a 600 class you will be faster than the rest. Plus you will be able to resell a 250 or 500 fairly fast and if it's in good condition you run a good chance of getting your money back.

Oh, and don't kid yourself by saying (i'm mature, I can handle it).

It's your money and it's your a$$. So if you are dead set on a modern 600, then it's no skin off my back (although it may be off yours). I just see too many new bikes destroyed and kids in the hospital because their ego kicked their a$$ into a situation their brain should have taken care of.

Also remember that the sales dude at the dealership is looking to make money off of you. I have watched them talk new riders into liter bikes because the comission is larger.;)

Chances are you will not be able to ride either the F4i or the RR at anywhere near their capability for many years.

ejohn 08-03-2006 11:53 PM

just don't panic the first time you ride it.keep loose and don't give it much gas you will be fine.

Blackdog F4i 08-04-2006 12:15 AM

Like I said. It's no difference to me. I just wonder what kind of insanity makes people think it's a good idea to learn to ride on a race bike.[:@]

markobenin 08-04-2006 04:11 AM

I would have to disagree with you blackdog, if you're a moron you can kill yourself just as easily on a 250cc bike as a 600cc bike. The '06 F4i is my first bike, and I already have 1700+ miles on it in a month. I think if you practice in a parking lot for a day or two, you should be fine, just don't zone out when you're riding and scan all areas of the road.

shraz 08-04-2006 05:17 AM

+1 on blackdog start with something smaller for the first 6month
especially if you are small and can't put both feet flat down

DThompson 08-04-2006 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: markobenin

just don't zone out when you're riding and scan all areas of the road.
HAHA, alot of times when im riding on the highway, I do ZONE OUT. Kinda messed up cause I will ride like 30 miles of road and not rememer what I just rode by.

PitbullF4i 08-04-2006 03:20 PM

if im driving and talking on my cell phone ..i cant remeber a damn thing

vinny7 08-04-2006 03:56 PM

Blackdogs right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIVE Now, Show Off Later.

woot 08-04-2006 04:08 PM

No... I think Blackdog is correct.

On the 600 mistakes are amplified. Do it as a scenario.

New rider gets on the highway and cracks the throttle to see what happens:
250: Accelerates to highway speed quickly.
500: More quickly - but not by much
600: Doubles the speedlimit and is now panicing.

New rider has a car pull infront of them
250: hard braking - maybe locks front tire
600: instantly locks front tire.

New rider trying to ride in parking lot:
250: nothing happens... most awesome commuter bike ever built btw.
600: poor clutch/throttle control launches it or stalls it repeatedly. Swings wide on 90 right hand turns frequently.

Seriously - while you can be an idiot in any vehicle the 600 is no where near as forgiving as the 250/500. Every input (mistake) is amplifed by the sheer responsiveness built into the bike for racing.

Start on a small bike - ride it for at least a year. Sell it for not much of a loss if anything - move to your next bike when you decide what you are looking for.

I started small... moved to a 600 can-o-tuna - to a cruiser - to an older ninja 60... back to the same cruiser and now to the CBR. A bike has to meet a need - my need was comfort, touring and lately track interests. Each bike has taught me something. There is no way I could have properly handled a 600 in my first year, even after 6 years of driving a car and 16 years of prior driving experience (farm kid).

I'm not saying if you buy a 600 you will kill yourself. I'm saying that you don't need a 600 as a first bike. Start with something with lower hp that is more managable. Make your mistakes on a used bike - and try and learn as much as you can. Treat any sportbike with ALOT of respect - they were built to win races not coddle new riders.

PitbullF4i 08-04-2006 04:40 PM

well said

SkinnyJ 08-04-2006 06:53 PM

i was in the delima a year ago, and went with the 01f4i as i planned on riding it alot and comfort was important. now 8k or so miles later i still love it.

jasonb 08-04-2006 08:00 PM

Get a 2006 cbr 600 rr......

ejohn 08-04-2006 09:44 PM

you know it really just depends on the rider some can a some can't. probably the best would be to start on a smaller bike and cheaper too, so if you crash it. the f4i can rev pretty dam fast. also it is a good idea to practice stopping fast. play like someone has cut in front of you and you have to stop fast. get use to it because it happens.

five0addict 08-04-2006 11:29 PM

the f4i is my first STREET bike, so i caught on pretty quick with it being so nice and light. not even a month yet and i got over 800 miles, yikes!
if its your straight up first motorcycle, ehh that would be kinda scary. i know i wouldnt want something real nice clean and expensive to learn on. thats also why the only wheelies i do are in my sleep :D

ikhoudvanu199 08-12-2006 01:46 AM

hey guys, love all the comments...i just have a few things to say about all of it...i agree that mayb a smaller bike would b better for a beginner such as myself...but i rly need a bike that i can start off on and keep for a while, and most ppl ive talked to have told me that i will quickly get tired of a 250...and believe me, i kno that a 600 will have way too much power for me to handle if i try to use all of it...but i do have the sense to not open up on it until i am completely comfortable and have plenty of experience...but im still young, and cant afford to buy a little bike, then another one in a year or two...so, ya...

again, thanks for all past and future words of wisdom...:D

Fox 08-12-2006 05:35 PM

Get a small bike.

Most new riders that get a small machine, like an EX250 or EX500 can sell them for close to what they paid for them a year later. Don't underestimate the market.

There's plenty of riders that have started on 600cc machines. They're simply not as forgiving compared to their smaller-engined counterparts.

Also, since your a new, young rider, you may want to consider getting some insurance quotes.

kevntri 08-12-2006 08:18 PM

I love it.....
"get an older F4i, cause it doesn't have the banana seat"
:D:D:D

city worker 08-12-2006 10:35 PM

f4i or RR, don't kid yerself, older F model fer sure, been ridin an older f2 got my bearings finally for an RR :D

Blackdog F4i 08-12-2006 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: ikhoudvanu199

most ppl ive talked to have told me that i will quickly get tired of a 250...
Ask them if they have ever owned/ridden one. Because most that tell you that are talking out of their asses. Seriously look at what the 250/500's are selling for used vs. new. You are not going to lose money if you keep it in good condition and sell smart.

If you know a 600 will have too much power, then you are halfway there. The other half is pulling the trigger and getting a EX500 or EX250. at woot mentioned above. It has nothing to do with what you consciously decide as far as inputs go. The bike is what it is. It will do what it was designed to do. That is NOT be forgiving.

fishfryer527 08-13-2006 06:09 PM

After the MSF, never rode a bike before, I rode my buddies 1000RR a few times, then bought my F4i. It wasn't the power that scared me it was the brakes and the physical size of the bike. Now my bike feels like a BMX bicycle, but compared to the 125cc bikes in the MSF when I learned it seemed big. Honestly, I felt just as comfortable on the big RR as with my F4i, they both have way too much power for a beginner and if your head isn't in the right place when you ride they both will F*** you up.

I agree that a smaller bike is a better choice than a 600 for your first bike, but to me the most important thing is your ability to not panic and control the urge to push the envelope, I guess maturity is the word I am looking for. I say get the F4i if most of you use will be basic commuting, if you have the luxury of nice curvy roads then get the RR. Either way be careful and even a little paranoid and you'll be fine.

JZHALES 08-28-2006 02:05 AM

my f4i was my first street bike. ive been on it 7 months/ 10k miles. very easy to learn on, not to much power but enough power. and if its not fast enough add sprockets cheap! (-1, +3 for me ). but my f4i is about to fall into stunt mode when it gets colder.

stephygee 08-28-2006 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: ikhoudvanu199

most ppl ive talked to have told me that i will quickly get tired of a 250...and believe me, i kno that a 600 will have way too much power for me to handle if i try to use all of it...but i do have the sense to not open up on it until i am completely comfortable and have plenty of experience...but im still young, and cant afford to buy a little bike, then another one in a year or two...so, ya...
:D
Gotta agree with you there...and with the poster who said you can kill yourself just as quickly on a 250 as a 600. I've had two 250s (CBR 250RR [Japan] 2-stroke] and a Virago 250. Within two months of ownership, I was practically doing circus tricks on them. With the 250RR, I got lucky and traded up to a GSXR 400RR, and with the Virago, I ditched it on FleaBay for -$100 what I paid. The Virago I bought to teach my Mom how to ride on, but the CBR was for my pleasure :D.

When I had the Virago, it did fine on the freeway and such...but I quickly outgrew it. The F4i was my first "big" bike and I've pulled a few boneheaded moves on it and all I have to say is it's the most forgiving bike I've ever ridden. But that's just me.

I have a friends that has the Ninja 250 and she experienced the same phenomenon...wanting a bigger bike within a few months. Keep in mind, she's a seriously newbie rider and says this.

I'm a believer in starting small as well, but personal experience makes me agree that you'll outgrow the bike in a few months, and you can kill yourself on a 250 just as quickly as a 600. I highly recommend you take the basic MSF course in any case, and after a few months of riding, take the advanced course.

Good luck.

charlos 08-28-2006 05:13 AM

I'd elect for the F4i over ther rr for a first bike.

but what's even better is an older CBR or a 250/500. It seems like it'd be boring, or not as fast, or just not as cool to roll up to the local bike night on that antiquated looking ninja 250, or a rashed up F2, but forget what people think.

You're gonna drop the bike. It's gonna cost you money to make your brand new F4i look brand new again. A 93 F2 could just be puttied, sanded, and rattlecanned for $50 bucks (unless you're lucky enough to find one with good condition OEM graphics), and it's gonna look as good as when you bought it. It's also gonna maintain it's market price much better than a new bike--the second you drive off the lot, it's going to cost you at least 1000 bucks. The second you drop it, it'll cost you even more. It just doesn't make financial sense. I bought my F2 for 1400 bucks. Threw a couple hundred at it and sold it for 1700 bucks. People are always looking for cheap starter bikes.

So a used F4i, maybe even with krylon sponsored graphics might be up your alley...I just got my F4i a couple of weeks ago. I was on that rashed up high mileage F2, which was fast enough, honestly--now i'm doing triple digits on this thing without even realizing it (and i'm not someone who likes to ride at 100 mph). There are times where i'm a little sloppy on the throttle or with the clutch, or with the brakes, and the F4i lets me know. The F2 just sort of hinted at it. It's not just a matter of self control.

There are a lot of guys here who i'm sure started on the F4i, and it's a better bike to start on than say, a R6, and i'm sure they all think the F4i is a great starter bike. It is a great starter bike. But there are better starter bikes. Also, anyone who says that you're gonna outgrow a 250/500/old 600 probably couldn't ride one of those bikes to close to 25% of their potential. remember that the bike will always be faster than you.

98f3pilot 08-30-2006 11:37 AM

I still don't get why the F4i is considered a 'starter' bike. Maybe I'm confusing starter with beginner. It's a 600 I4 and should be considered a dangerous machine (I know any bike is dangerous but for the sake of power the 600's are 'more' dangerous). I began/started on a 250 rebel, then 600 Shadow VLX (the most torqueless bike!), then on a VF 750 Magna. I debated on RR or F4i and read that they are pretty much equal in power, (well almost equal and nothing a full exhaust and PC can't remedy), picked the '02 F4i because I ride everyday and people still call it a 'starter'.
Do you have to get a 1000rr, R1 or ZX14 for it to be considered a 'real' bike?
I say choose a 250 as a starter bike instead of a 600. You'll learn alot more and they are more forgiving.

shane431 08-30-2006 08:02 PM

Anyone who says a F4I isn't fast...come chase me on my F4I :D Game on!

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/2503/431bikepp8.jpg

DThompson 08-31-2006 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: shane431

Anyone who says a F4I isn't fast...come chase me on my F4I :D Game on!

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/2503/431bikepp8.jpg
Damn right

ikhoudvanu199 08-31-2006 02:25 AM

hey guys thanks for all the advice, imma put the down payment on my 06 F4i black and blue on sat, and it should be shipped in a couple of weeks...i will post pix asap, and of course, as always, ride safe:)

Blackdog F4i 08-31-2006 03:42 PM

Damn I love F4i's in race trim.

If I ever get another bike for 2-up I think I am goint to race prep the F4i. Would definitly make prep for trackdays easier.

woot 08-31-2006 04:09 PM

wow- that's a clean looking bike... mine looks no where near as coordinated in it's track plastics. (Red tank, red tail, black lowers, black/white upper.

I'm going to practice painting my track plastics... can't get any less coordinated.

shane431 08-31-2006 05:50 PM

I have 2 track days this weekend and the bike has some more decorations on it. I'll post them up when i get back next week!

CaliCbrF4i 08-31-2006 07:31 PM

I started out with an F4I. You just need to take it easy and be smart. Just cause you can zoom through lights and spit lanes does not mean you have to. And take the freaking MSC class. Please! I know too many people who did not take it and ended up dropping their baby. As long as you are smart I do not think you will have a problem. Remember, you are always driving defensively when you ride a motorcycle. So, just be safe.

Blackdog F4i 08-31-2006 08:03 PM

Since you pulled the trigger on it. The FIRST MOD should be frame sliders. You will cringe when you have to cut the fairings, but that will go away and WHEN (not IF) you drop your baby it will cost a lot less.

snowboarding82 08-31-2006 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: DThompson

just don't zone out when you're riding and scan all areas of the road.
HAHA, alot of times when im riding on the highway, I do ZONE OUT. Kinda messed up cause I will ride like 30 miles of road and not rememer what I just rode by.

Dude I do that same thing a lot. I think I have ADD or something. hah Or maybe it's just because I'm drunk whenever I'm driving? hmmmmm hahahaha No but seriously, there's nothing wrong with getting a 600 or 1k for your first bike. Get whatever the heck you want. If you're not intelligent enough to know that if you're on a 1k and you give it gas the front end is just going to raise right up on you then you shouldn't be riding a bike. Get some common sense that's all it takes. I was considering buying an older used bike. I was looking at I believe a '99 F4 and the dealership my friend worked at wouldn't let him go below $5600. The bike was obviously dropped, it was all scratched up and had 19k miles on it. So do I go buy this used 7 year old bike for $5600 with no warranty or do I go buy a brand spankin new '06 mint condition 1 year warranty F4i (wishing I got the rr now) for $7700? Easy choice and if anyone says go with the used one I'm sorry but you're an idiot. It's extremely difficult to find a good used bike around here it's just a better choice to go with brand new.

Now on the subject of buying a 250 vs a 600. I say screw it start your butt on a 600!!! The first time I ever rode was some early 90's ninja zx6. Was my friends bike and they all made me ride it once around a parking lot before we took the boats out. I did ok. Since then I rode a pocket rocket drunk, seeing who could get the fastest time around a small subdivision until the cops came, and another friends old freakin early 80's 350 trail bike where we were doing motocross jumps! hahahahaha The last time I rode was back in highschool so before 2000. We always talked about getting bikes since junior year in highschool and were actually looking at the F4 or F4i's in 2000, that was a long time ago. I finally just decided one day this spring "I'm in the mood to buy a motorcycle." In the beginning of April I ended up with a blue/black '06 F4i. I love it. It's fast. It's scary. It's HOT. =) So I go to pick it up and I haven't ridden a bike in years and got it home fine. A little heavy and akward at first but I got used to it by the time I was out of the parking lot, I just took it nice and slow and easy.

I signed up for the MSF class right away and had to wait until just this month to actually be able to take it. They had 250cc nighthawks and on almost every exercise I was scraping the peg feelers. The only thing I had a problem with was the swerving. Those bikes didn't use countersteer. I tried and they kept telling us to "push push straight!" but no one could do it. Since I learned on a 600 I can ride a 250 so much better and a lot harder. Now if I would have learned on 250 and then moved up to a 600 it would be like relearning all over again I just know it. Heck I should have started on a 1000 and then moved down to a 600 so I can ride the 600 as hard as I was riding the 250's.

I don't think there is any problem with starting on a 600 at all. I think everyone should be encouraging people to start on one. As far as riding within your limits I think it's true to a degree. You have to go outside your limits to get better. You have to push the line a little further each time in order to become a better rider. If you always take the 30mph corners at 30mph you're not going to get any better.

My advice is start on a 600 and break your bike in slowly. By the time you have it broken in you'll be ready to hit 8k+ rpms and have a better feel for the bike. Take it easy for a while and if you're not comfortable and things don't flow smoothly for you while you ride after a while then perhaps reconsider if the sport is re

Blackdog F4i 08-31-2006 11:09 PM

I started to type out this big long drawn out response...........

but then I realized 99% of the people buying the bling over the right choice are not going to listen anyway and they will probably never really use the bike they have.

So when those have "upgraded" to their liter bike, I will cruise by on my 600 OR the Aprilia 125 I would like to get.

**edit for pic**

Here is the "starter bike" I would like to get:

http://www.aprilia.com/upload/modell...00533_0068.jpg

2000cbrf4 08-31-2006 11:27 PM

I would have to disagree with you blackdog, if you're a moron you can kill yourself just as easily on a 250cc bike as a 600cc bike. The '06 F4i is my first bike, and I already have 1700+ miles on it in a month. I think if you practice in a parking lot for a day or two, you should be fine, just don't zone out when you're riding and scan all areas of the road.
I have had mine for 6 weeks, clocked 6355 miles so far. No way would I have started on it. I started on a Katana 600. Yes, you can get killed on a moped, but let me say this. Much more temptation to exceed your limits on a F4i or similar compared to a Katana. Not arguing, just saying how I feel. I DID start on something other than a 125mph quarter mile ride. Great learning experience, cheaper insurance for a newb, and you 99% chance drop it. Whether it is pushing it outta the garage, lubing the chain, pulling into your gravel driveway or what. (Guess how I know?)" Get something to ride at least a season on. Something you can get a good deal on and re-sell for as close to what you paid for it. Do you mean target fixation?

98f3pilot 09-01-2006 11:20 AM

That Aprilia is beeyooteeful!

Since the subject is speed, can a '02 F4i go just as fast as a blue/black '06 F4i?
Or are they the same?

ninetyfivehp 09-01-2006 03:05 PM

you won't be any quicker on the RR on the street. RR insurance is higher and it won't be as comfortable as the F4i imo;)