F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

compare to gsxr?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compare to gsxr?

hi everyone, im new here. Having just gotten my permit last summer im also new at riding bikes all together. I am very interested in F4i's infact i am planning on getting one after i finish college. I haven't had the time to take the learning course yet, although i definatly am before i make any purchase...
The only practice ive had has been a few amount of hours on my best friend's 02 GSXR 600. I loved everything about the bike, especially the seat height which is also why i want an f4i (both 31 inches.) But i like the fact that the F4i is built more for the rider rather than the all out racer. I have only practiced in parking lots and only went up to maybe 3rd or 4th gear. I am 21 years old and have heard all the horror stories, and warnings, but i am still very interested in riding as both a way to commute and as a hobby. I feel that i can honestly say that i am not going to abuse the power or get overly comfortable to quickly, so i think that it should be ok to start with a bike like the F4i. I also have no desire to ever even ride anything more than a 600cc.

*** My question here is this... I know many of you guys have experience on other bikes as well. Being that my only and small amount of experience has been on a 02 gsxr, how would you guys compare the two bikes. I dont know anywhere near the limits of either bike in terms of handling ability or speed, or even quality/reliability. I still haven't learned how to lean around turns yet. How do you compare the two bikes.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Banned
Default RE: compare to gsxr?

I still haven't learned how to lean around turns yet. How do you compare the two bikes.
Push on the side you want to to turn to. This only works as you go faster, maybe 12 to 15 mph, and accelerate slightly during the turn, don't slow down or you may fall over. Going slower, like 8 mph, you turn it like a bicycle.

Try to take the MSF course, they have small bikes that are very easy to ride and learn on. Since you already have survived some time on a 600cc bike without incedent, you will really enjoy the class and get more out of it than you think.

By the way, be VERY careful with the rear brake on any sportbike, if you lock up the rear, very bad things can happen.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:39 PM

Yes i definatly noticed what u mean about the rear brake. It is much easier to baby the front brake since it is just a squeeze of the hand. But the rear brake seems very ambiguous, like all or nothing. I am going to practice more braking in the rear at different sensitivity levels i need to get in tune with it a little more. I am going to take the MSF course as soon as i can and am looking forward to learning from them.

One of the things that i am also a bit wary of is downshifting at higher speeds. I am afraid that if Im going at a higher gear like fifth, and shift down to about third or second to slow up will the bike jerk me off my seat? or is it not that with that much force??

thanks again

Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

f4i is probably more suited for you...but either one will bite you hard.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

The reason why you need to be VERY careful with the rear brake is that if the rear wheel skids and gets out of line with the front AND you release the rear brake while it is out of what, there is a chance you will HIGH side. That means the bike will proceed to throw you over the front of it and then try and kill you.

As the bikes rear gains traction, if it ain't pointing straight, it will go different than the front, that is how bad things like a high side happen.

My take on downshifting is different than some of the more experienced people on this forum, I use the brakes to slow me down, not the compression of the engine (unless I keep it in the same gear). I do all my braking while in a straight line and I choose the gear I am gonna use while I am still pointing straight. You will get used to what gear you will use when you get more experience. But do not downshift several gears and just dump the clutch, you will be asking for the rear tire to lose traction as the weight shifts forward. If by chance you are also using rear brake, you may have a rear wheel locking up and bad things can happen. I blip the throttle a little to match revs when I downshift a few gears, it creates less shock and clutch wear.

If you do lock up your rear wheel, I believe you should keep it locked until you have stopped, maybe one of the other members can comment on this.

Be very careful out on public roads, especially busy ones.

good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:08 PM

i had an 01' gixxer 600. now i have an 06' F4i. the bikes are very similiar in that they inspire confidence. the gsxr's riding position is a little more cramped. also the gixxer engine was a little buzzier but the fuel injection was better sorted imo. good luck. after owning both i'd get the F4i no question

Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM

I prefer the F4i over the gixxer. the gixxer gas tank is too high to me, and theres not enough wind protection for the rider either IMO, the F4i has a higher windscreen that covers the rider's face better when tucked down under it.

I like absolutely NOTHING about the gixxer, while the F4i, I love everything about.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:24 PM

Wow, you guys are solidifying my expectations about this bike... I knew the second i browsed on the honda website and saw the F4i, i knew it was the perfect bike for what im looking for. Im glad alot of you are pleased with it.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:29 PM

good write-up, compare for yourself
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/01600/

Old 09-28-2006, 03:27 AM

I think that along with great handling and comfort (compared to all out race bikes) the F4i i s the best deal for your money. Honda is the most reliable bike out there and lasts longer than you think it will. You will see many people on honda's with 15-20k miles and more. I have an 04 that I bought brand new and now has 16.5k miles and thats with a hard winter no riding and being in the shop for 1.5 months. I would swear by my F4i any day banana seat or not.

Quick Reply: compare to gsxr?