compare to gsxr?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: compare to gsxr?

first:

MSF, MSF, MSF + gear

second:

consider something with less ***** than either the gix6 or the f4i. think about a used ninja 250/500, GS500, F2, F3, mid 90's fzr600, used sv650. The reasons for this are: the f4i's got a lot of gitup n' go for a new rider, even if it's not an "all-out-sportbike" it can and will put you on your *** if you're not careful. A cheap older bike hurts the wallet less when you drop it. some people may say that they learned on an F4i, and that's it's a "good" starter bike, and any bike is a good starter bike if you have the right attitude, but this line of reasoning is a little deluded imo. the faster the bike, the steeper the learning curve, which is already steep to begin with. also, in spite of your best intentions, sometimes you do things you do not intend--a supersport front brake has so much braking power that grabbing a fistful of brake just might endo you right into the asphalt. sloppy throttle control w/ a high hp sportbike just might wash you out mid-corner. some things to consider...

third:

strictly comparing the F4i to the gixxer, i think the F4i is a much better bike. Aesthetics aside (i hate the bumblebee gixxer body), the f4i has a better midrange, better throttle response, and more comfortable ergonomics. Riding my friend's 02 gixxer around is actually a bit underwhelming compared to my f4i--everything is a little less immediate/responsive (aside from the brakes, which are good on the gix).

Old 09-28-2006, 04:47 PM

Charlos, aside from the not so aggressive looks and not being capable of the gazillion mph compared to newer track oriented sportbikes, why is the F4i not considered an 'all out sportbike'. Was it not Honda's premiere 600 class racing bike '2001-2003' before the RR came out? IMHO, I just think it should get more respect as a 'real' 600 class sportbike.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:46 PM

Get the GSXR.

Since you are a n00b rider and already looking at championship level sportbikes, WHEN you wreck the GSXR you won't cause the rest of our insurance rates to go up.

Seriously. A Modern 600 Sportbike is NOT, NOT, NOT a starter bike. Get a EX250 or EX500, ride it for a year or two, gain some skill and ride for life. Get a racebike as your first and you may not have a very long riding future.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: charlos

first:

MSF, MSF, MSF + gear

second:

consider something with less ***** than either the gix6 or the f4i. think about a used ninja 250/500, GS500, F2, F3, mid 90's fzr600, used sv650. The reasons for this are: the f4i's got a lot of gitup n' go for a new rider, even if it's not an "all-out-sportbike" it can and will put you on your *** if you're not careful. A cheap older bike hurts the wallet less when you drop it. some people may say that they learned on an F4i, and that's it's a "good" starter bike, and any bike is a good starter bike if you have the right attitude, but this line of reasoning is a little deluded imo. the faster the bike, the steeper the learning curve, which is already steep to begin with. also, in spite of your best intentions, sometimes you do things you do not intend--a supersport front brake has so much braking power that grabbing a fistful of brake just might endo you right into the asphalt. sloppy throttle control w/ a high hp sportbike just might wash you out mid-corner. some things to consider...

third:

strictly comparing the F4i to the gixxer, i think the F4i is a much better bike. Aesthetics aside (i hate the bumblebee gixxer body), the f4i has a better midrange, better throttle response, and more comfortable ergonomics. Riding my friend's 02 gixxer around is actually a bit underwhelming compared to my f4i--everything is a little less immediate/responsive (aside from the brakes, which are good on the gix).
i definatly hear what you are saying Charlos about getting a less powerful bike and if i had the opportunity to ride right now, but the truth is that i am not getting any bike at all until i am done paying for college. I feel that by the time that I can actually afford this bike or any bike, i might have had enough parkinglot/small road practice on my friend's bike and MSF course, by that time i purchase an f4i i may be ready to handle it's abilities on an ownership basis. I would take a 250r or smaller cc anyday, just can't afford one at the moment.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

f4i is no longer considered an all out sportbike cause it's position as an all out sportbike has been replaced by the RR...

Old 09-29-2006, 02:41 AM

ORIGINAL: 98f3pilot

Charlos, aside from the not so aggressive looks and not being capable of the gazillion mph compared to newer track oriented sportbikes, why is the F4i not considered an 'all out sportbike'. Was it not Honda's premiere 600 class racing bike '2001-2003' before the RR came out? IMHO, I just think it should get more respect as a 'real' 600 class sportbike.
it's not that it's not an all out sportbike. it IS.

i respect it plenty. but as far as the "market" goes, it's not as "exxxtreme" as an R6 or a gix6, and personally i think it's a good thing.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:48 AM

"i might have had enough parkinglot/small road practice on my friend's bike and MSF course, by that time i purchase an f4i i may be ready to handle it's abilities on an ownership basis."

Come on now, you don't really believe that. The F4i's power doesn't even kick in until 6000RPM and you'll never see that in parking lot.

If you have to have a sport bike as your first bike, I would suggest getting an older model, something late 90's. I suggest this, not so much for the performance aspect, but for that fact that you WILL drop your bike. And it will probably happen within the first few months you own it. And once it is dropped you aren't going to want to invest the $500 per fairing to get it back in new condition.

Something to keep in mind: Bikes hold their value pretty well. If you pick up a older bike, you can turn around and sell it later for close to what you paid. I bought my first bike (Suckzuki Bandit600) for $3200, dropped it on both sides and put 8000 miles on it, and sold it for $3000 a year later.

And wait, theres more... if you pick up an older bike, you wont need as much cash. You can buy the bike sooner. Then you can park in the motorcycle parking at school.

And wait, theres still more... An older bike will be soooooo much cheaper when it comes to insurance. I bet you haven't looked at what its is going to cost for full coverage. If you are in your low 20's, it will probably be a couple grand a year. Do a search in this forum on insurance, you'll see. With the older bike, you will probably only need/want the min.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:32 PM

+1 to everything lifties posted

Old 09-30-2006, 08:41 PM

I started riding with an 03 f4i. I beleive that it was a bit too powerfull (as i have lowsided twice).

If i could go back and do it again...I'd still get the f4i.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:22 PM

I own both bikes and the gixxer is night and day better then the f4i......

Granted I have a K6 GSXR-600 and I gave my 05 f4i to my fiance..........When I was first shopping after taking the MSF course I was interested in the 600cc class, but never ever riding a bike let alone a crotch rocket, i found the ergo's of the 2005 competition at the time to uncomfortable. So the f4i for me was very very comfy. Good riding position, quick, looks good etc. Plenty of power for my 6'1 195lb ***. I was instantly comfortable with the bike and for 7 months it was my baby.

My finace had been riding for years and got tired of sitting on the back. But she hadnt been on her own bike for years and wanted one. So we decided that I would give her the f4i due to the seat height, power, and she flat out loved it. So I was looking again. Im a blue and white guy and when I saw the new K6 I was in love. Took one home fresh outta the crate and instantly feel in love. NIGHT AND DAY difference between the two. More power, better brakes, better suspension, more little extras here and there. But the big thing was the ERGO's felt just as comfy as my f4i. My gixxer has everything I wanted as an upgrade from my f4i without going for a liter bike.

Either one in my opinions are very good bikes. I still steal the dropped f4i out every now and again although I cant lean that far....fiance is 5'2 and the bike is dropped 3".
But is still is a blast to drive around. You cant go wrong with honda quality. But new suzu's are just as nice IMO. You cant go wrong with either but if it were me......I would buy the Gixxer every time.

Quick Reply: compare to gsxr?