F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

COLD COLD day...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default COLD COLD day...

so I bought a bunch of winter gear to keep me warm when I ride to and from school cause parking a cage on campus is nearly impossible. Woke up today weather.com said 27 degrees. This is prob the coldest i've been out riding..it has been 45 ish around in Albany lately.

Well...Completely didn't even think of warming up my tires...Took the first turn out of apt and the back tire broke lose ..a very gentle low side at like 30mph. left side mirror snapped off, snapped off a piece of my headlight fairing...slider took most of it and it did its job very well.

So..lessened learned....warm up your tired when it is cold out..can't believe I didn't think of that when I went out cause there was frost all of the my car

Old 10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that sucks bud, I wouldn't have even thought about it either. But maybe it wasn't your tires... maybe it was the pavement. 27 is below freezing.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:50 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I took my bike out about a week ago. It was under 40 degrees and the first turn I took the back wiggled out, I was able to catch it but it woke me up. I believe it was due to my tires being cold as it has never done that when warm out. Lesson learned, be careful on cold tires. Sorry about your fall man

Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Dang, that sux man.
Glad to hear you came away from the incident without harm.

I'll take off to work sometimes and forget simple things like re-adjusting my mirrors, and I'll notice it when I'm trying to get on the express-way and I can't see crap behind me cuz one of my mirrors is pointing straight down.
Pretty dumb of me, but I'm trying to break those habits of hopping on either of my bikes without double checking a few things.

As for the tires heating up, well here in deep South Texas......guess were lucky.
Never have to worry bout sub freezing temperatures..lol

Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 PM

^ You bastard . I kid. But good thing you're ok. I've done that exact same thing, just mine we going a little bald, and I wasn't careful. Day before I was getting my new ones t0o :facepalm:

Old 10-20-2009, 12:05 AM

how exactly would u warm up your tires? use 5 mins. riding slowly before giving a little more throttle? or just do a quick burn out?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

You've probably seen this one; still funny though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4&feature=PlayList&p=20FF15796A2 EA796&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=36[/URL]

Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Lol, oldie, but a goldie.

It was a gixxer, it was bound to go down. lol!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Damn, that sucks. I've had this thought every time I would be taking that 90 degree turn coming out of my home, cold tires.

GL on repairing man! Those plastic fairings are not cheap to fix sometimes.

And the video made me laugh a bit. It's painful to see any kind of new bike getting scratched...

Old 10-20-2009, 05:24 PM

IS there anything mechanical I should get checked out?? I wasn't going too fast. I've heard of things like frame tweaking and stuff...
Should I get anything checked out?? I road today and everything seemed fine.but u can never be too careful.
it was 60 degrees today in Albany NY....I still feel sketchy about riding these back roads....I love leaning the bike over

Quick Reply: COLD COLD day...