F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

civic oil filter on 02 F4i.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009 | 01:20 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Red face

You end up with 10-45?
LOL ~ Yep, you're right, it's not on there.

Old 03-21-2009 | 03:27 AM

Okay, I am a little drunk right now..

but this thread is Fail

I realistically do not care what the flow amount is, I don't care what the hp is. All really irrealivent, Companies have been making oil filters for decades, with out fail.

When you look up any late model Honda, with interchangeable filters, as the civic at the dealer, then you look at any F4i filter at the dealer, their part numbers are IDENTICAL.

When you look at fram, penzoil, or any other filter company same thing. Identical. I don't think it matters. A filter is a filter is a filter. No difference. It filters oil. oil goes through it and particles are captured in it. And given at the rate of how frequent oil changes are made Its fine. No "particles" are going to get detached from the filter and "loddged" into your system.

People freak out too much on the small things. As long as you aren't running water through your oil sump system i think you are fine.

Old 03-21-2009 | 10:11 AM
|

that's what i sorta think, and i wanted to see if anyone else shared similar beliefs, contesting the differences between a motorcycle oil filter vs. a car oil filter. For the most part, i think it is just marketing, creating a demand for products so people would just spend more money.

Old 03-21-2009 | 11:31 AM

I see no issue with car vs bike filter. That is not the arguement really.
It is the quality of the filter compared to price. Of course the item numbers are identical they are the same fit. whats that got to do with the quility from one brand to the other.

Again this comes down what you are comfortable with. As for me I will not be using fram.

Old 03-22-2009 | 02:12 AM

HOLY COW, I dont think I've ever seen a topic on here with so many replies (except for off topic discussions) +1 Toeless (thanks for the jacket). I've been a loyal fram user for the past 15 years...untill now. After what I've read, I will never buy another fram product again.

Old 03-22-2009 | 05:03 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by Xuracing
Okay, I am a little drunk right now..

but this thread is Fail

I realistically do not care what the flow amount is, I don't care what the hp is. All really irrealivent, Companies have been making oil filters for decades, with out fail.

When you look up any late model Honda, with interchangeable filters, as the civic at the dealer, then you look at any F4i filter at the dealer, their part numbers are IDENTICAL.

When you look at fram, penzoil, or any other filter company same thing. Identical. I don't think it matters. A filter is a filter is a filter. No difference. It filters oil. oil goes through it and particles are captured in it. And given at the rate of how frequent oil changes are made Its fine. No "particles" are going to get detached from the filter and "loddged" into your system.

People freak out too much on the small things. As long as you aren't running water through your oil sump system i think you are fine.
Not a very compelling argument. Everyone who's a little toasted has monumental ideas and opinions about everything. Which is why we ask that people don't post while they are drunk. If you have physical evidence to back up your claims I'd love to see it but from research I've done and articles I've read Fram has had quality problems for years.

It only takes a very small piece of filter media to clog up an oil journal ... then you have bearing failure and the dealer says you were abusing it.

Old 03-22-2009 | 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Not a very compelling argument. Everyone who's a little toasted has monumental ideas and opinions about everything. Which is why we ask that people don't post while they are drunk. If you have physical evidence to back up your claims I'd love to see it but from research I've done and articles I've read Fram has had quality problems for years.

It only takes a very small piece of filter media to clog up an oil journal ... then you have bearing failure and the dealer says you were abusing it.
Well Sir,
Which argument are you trying to back up here? The fact that fram has quality control problems? Or The fact that the filters are infect interchangeable?

Because if you want to argue if the filters are the same and interchangeable we can work that one out right now, part numbers are the same, they don't make a special filter for motorcycles, Its not labeled MC or AUTO, They are shipped to two different places same product sold to different markets.

Fram at the moment i do not have any evidence of their filters not failing the the fact is that, The part numbers for those filters are the same and they do make the same units, Which are from the same factory just shipped out to separate retailers

Old 03-22-2009 | 05:49 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Fram makes OEM filters for no manufacturer ... that should tell you something. Never argued the Honda part number issue, just the fact that Honda OEM is much better than Fram. I personally bought a Fram filter and took it apart after reading some of the hype ... also took apart a K&N I had in the garage. There is no comparison. I mean Fram uses what appears to be a hot glue gun to secure some of their innards (which are cardboard) ... gimme a break Having built some pretty stout motors in my day I can tell you that even a small amount of obstruction can/will clog your oil journals and cause you to have a really bad day. The Fram is pure crap ... plain and simple. If you still believe they're all the same invest $20 in a couple filters and find our for yourself.

And don't call me sir ... chain, chainstretcher, gregg, *** hole or any combination will do

Old 03-22-2009 | 07:57 PM

Xuracing I really don't get your point. Please put down your mind altering substances and make your point as it pertains to this thread.

15400-PLM-A02 is the part number for the civic,
15410-MCJ-000 is the part number for the cbr
Not exactly the same number as you sujest, but the 154 may signify that it is indeed the same.

But that is not the argument here, we are talking the value of a aftermarket car filter that is of different shape/size and perceived quality to that of a oem/motorcycle filter.

Skooby glad your liking the jacket,

Old 03-22-2009 | 10:29 PM

I am going to have to check out the dealerships near me, Because i have popped off the Filter off a 01 Civic lx and my bike, Which i both run OEM units.

And both of them had the exact same part number on them. one i purchased from My local honda dealership Bergen Honda and the other was from the local Honda Car dealership (Paramus Honda) Up here in North Jersey

And For you Greg,
Never opened up a Fram but I was mentioning that if you look on their website both are also the same part numbers. Therefore Regardless if its On a car or on a Bike its the same filter, not regarding the manufacture and how they made it. Which was originally what the OP was asking. Since they are the same identical filter i figured there is no difference.

Now about to the companies craftsmanship, Thats another story. I cannot verify Fram's craftsmanship or how well its made. Just merely the product they market for bikes and cars is identical.

If i get a chance i will check it out, and The next time i change my oil i will also purchase 1 filter from the dealer OEM and one filter from the Honda Car dealership OEM and see if the part numbers on them are identical. Because i could have sworn they were the same exact part.

Last edited by Xuracing; 03-22-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: civic oil filter on 02 F4i.