F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

civic oil filter on 02 F4i.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting the larger filters on is an attempt at greater protection, lower cost and greater convenience.

Interestingly enough, I went and bought a filter for my 01 Suburban and they changed the oil filter to a smaller size. I have since looked up compatible larger ones and will get it in the future.

Exit: you said "you're still doing the same work with 1/3 of the volume. "

That is actually not true at all. Simply put work= Force X Distance.

The weight of a civic is like 2500 lb and a CBR is like 500 lb.

So the amount of work to move a civic is 5x that which is required to move the cbr.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:50 PM

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilfilter2.htm Perhaps this may help. I am sick of paying so much for Honda filters and looking for an alternative myself.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, since you guys insist on turning this thread into a math class don't forget rate of acceleration when you cipher your equations HP = HP no matter what the engine is moving because it is a function of torque ... moving a small mass with greater acceleration is the same as moving a large mass with slower acceleration. Din't you silly gooses pay attention in calculus ? For a fee I can be persuaded to start a motorcycle math forum on the site

Originally Posted by cman9toes
Putting the larger filters on is an attempt at greater protection, lower cost and greater convenience.

Interestingly enough, I went and bought a filter for my 01 Suburban and they changed the oil filter to a smaller size. I have since looked up compatible larger ones and will get it in the future.

Exit: you said "you're still doing the same work with 1/3 of the volume. "

That is actually not true at all. Simply put work= Force X Distance.

The weight of a civic is like 2500 lb and a CBR is like 500 lb.

So the amount of work to move a civic is 5x that which is required to move the cbr.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axsys
whats the benefit of running a civic filter over the f4i filter? i think a stock filter costs what, 12 bucks?
read the write up in the link on the first page. You get a better filter for 1/3 the price. No rocket science math equation needed to figure this out

Old 03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Talking Actually its physics

Chainstrecher,

It is actually physics we are talking about, but you are right that doesn't really matter here.

Bottom line is civcs and CBRs are not the same. The filter for a car is bigger because it has to handle more oil, stress, ...

As skooby mentioned if you look back to my orignal post the link has every thing you could ever need to know to make the best decision for you and your bike.

He covers filters, oil, opinions, statements from companies...

Very detailed. The great thing about all this is that we ride superior bikes that can take alot of abuse. If taken care of there is no reason that they can't still be rolling with a couple hunderd K on them.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
read the write up in the link on the first page. You get a better filter for 1/3 the price. No rocket science math equation needed to figure this out
the OP was talking about using a fram civic filter, definitely not better than a stock filter.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by axsys
the OP was talking about using a fram civic filter, definitely not better than a stock filter.
I understand all of that...but did you read the write-up in the link? Purolator is the guys first choice it's only 4 or 5 bucks, or howsa bout the wally world filter for less than 3 bucks and superior construction to the fram and others including OEM. Just because it is OEM doesn't make it the BEST choice (any parts, not just oil filters). You see the manufacturer has a set of standards that they are willing to accept, and when they do an engineering change they look for the CHEAPEST supplier that can meet their standards. Blah Blah Blah....READ THE DAMN LINK and make your own WELL informed decision.

p.s. Thanks for saving me 50 bucks everytime I change my oil.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 PM

AXSYS the op we were refering to was the one that I made: CMAN9TOES.
Not the 1st of the thread. Take a look a #9 and you will see what we are refering to.

Or keep doing what you are doing and pay $60 bucks for an oil change which I feel is inferior to my $20 oil change.

Every one has to do what they feel is best for them.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you spend $60 on an oil change? I use only Mobil 1 and either OEM or K&N oil filter and it only costs $20. Buying in bulk when stuff is on sale is a beautiful thing. Still, even when stuff ain't on sale I can't see $60 for oil and a filter ... unless you are charging yourself to do the actual change

Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 AM

Mobil 1 is like $9.94/QT X 4 = $43 w/tax + $15 for the filter = almost 60 bucks. Rotella T (Blue bottle) $19/Gal. + WallyWorld oil filter (listed in the link) for $3 = $23 and change after tax. And it all EXCEEDES OEM requirements. Not that I've done any research myself

Quick Reply: civic oil filter on 02 F4i.