F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cherish your bike...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010 | 01:50 PM

Sorrry man. That really stinks. I've had one motorcycle stolen...on Christmas Eve no less. So I know your pain.

Hope your insurance co works well w/ you on this. Keep us posted.

Old 04-06-2010 | 01:58 PM
|

I def will...

I just wish I could have ridden it longer...it meant a lot to me being my first bike. When I buy a new bike, I dont think I will ever let it out of my sight...

Old 04-06-2010 | 02:45 PM

The poor little thing was probably never even wheelied. What a shame.

/jk

But this is what insurace is for....hope you had full coverage, sounds like you do.

Full coverage means....2 things
1. Comprehensive - Theft, vandalism, and animal/bird impacts. Basically protecting yourself from a-holes.
2. Collision - Any impact with an object other than an animal, such as vehicles, phone poles, curb, wall, or even the ground (bike falls over)

Alot of people go with liability coverage only on bikes (assuming your bike is paid off) because it' much cheaper, but its sucky sucky coverage. Yes its 2x sucky. For instance you would be totally screwed if you only have liability insurance in this case of bike theft.

Just a little FYI if anyone was unsure.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 04-06-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2010 | 04:53 PM

Hate to hear something like this. An alarm was the first thing I bought for my F3. Paid $150 for it which was more than 1/4th I paid for the bike. But its MY bike and I don't give up my possessions easy. I have a 2nd alarm waiting for a bike to install it in. But seriously considering upgrading and getting a Scorpio alarm.

Best security solution is a layered one. Alarm + something else. A disc lock with an alarm itself means the thieves will have to carry one end of a screaming bike. Another alarm on top of that means double the noise. Most thieves will go on to the next bike when they see there's some type of protection. Another popular solution is an anchor and u-lock. Problem is you need to own the property or get permission to drive the bolts for the anchor in the cement. Many property managers won't have much of a problem so long as you do the work, don't do damage besides the holes you drilled and don't make that area an obstruction for others.

Old 04-07-2010 | 11:12 AM
|

Yea after it happened, my roomate bought a $150 chain and is now looking into an alarm system.

I should have done that before I ever took the bike out. But I figured no one would try to take it in the 10 minutes I wasnt watching it.

Anyway I've started looking for another bike to get hopefully soon when the whole case is closed. I'm not sure if I'll stick to an F4i. Perhaps an RR. Anyone have any suggestions for decent 600 bikes other than the F4i??

Old 04-07-2010 | 12:26 PM

split seat f4i all the way!

Old 04-07-2010 | 12:55 PM

Sorry to hear that.

Watching bikes get stolen on youtube scares me. They are too easy. I plan on having my steering locked and a disc lock with an alarm but even then they can just pick it up and away it goes. It's sad that even those things won't stop them.

Old 04-07-2010 | 01:51 PM
|

Originally Posted by Footnfool
Sorry to hear that.

Watching bikes get stolen on youtube scares me. They are too easy. I plan on having my steering locked and a disc lock with an alarm but even then they can just pick it up and away it goes. It's sad that even those things won't stop them.

My roomate just started chaining his bike to a fixed sewer grate on the street. That way it cant be moved or picked up. Make sure you chain the frame though, not just the wheel or something that can be removed.

Old 04-07-2010 | 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by casisthefirst
My roomate just started chaining his bike to a fixed sewer grate on the street. That way it cant be moved or picked up. Make sure you chain the frame though, not just the wheel or something that can be removed.
There is nothing you can do to prevent your bike from being stolen. No chain/lock/alarm is going to prevent someone from taking it if they really want it. I would say getting an alarm is your best bet and just pray that some intelligent person notices and gives 2 ***** to report it.

Last edited by teko1020; 04-07-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2010 | 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by teko1020
There is nothing you can do to prevent your bike from being stolen. No chain/lock/alarm is going to prevent someone from taking it if they really want it. I would say getting an alarm is your best bet and just pray that some intelligent person notices and gives 2 ***** to report it.
If someone is after your specific motorcycle, no there is nothing to be done. They will find the time and opportunity to steal your bike.

But the average thief is after any motorcycle. They'll have 3 criteria of varying importance:
  • Opportunity
  • Inconspicuous
  • Value

An open, drive up and toss the bike in a truck, theft will be stopped by the bike being anchored. They're not relying on remaining inconspicuous, just being able to get the bike in the truck fast. Which the anchor stops.

A hotwire / hacksaw theft will be stopped by a good alarm. They're relying on remaining inconspicuous, having the time to defeat the locks and alarm. A shock / perimeter / tilt sensitive alarm with voltage detection and the bike parked in an open traffic area. The alarm will not give the thief the time to work thru the defenses. Especially not an alarm with 2 way capabilities.

Most thieves are opportunists. Deny them the opportunity and they will move onto the next, easier target. Why risk getting pinched working on the 600rr that's anchored and screaming when the gixxer down the block is just sitting there, the bars not even locked?