F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cherish your bike...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherish your bike...

Well, I bought my F4i about a month and a half ago...it was my first bike ever and I only had the pleasure for riding it about 2 weeks for a total of like 120 miles...

So I came home from the gym at about 10pm and parked it right outside of my apt (in a pretty populated and safe area of Queens, NY on a pretty busy street even late at night). I came out 10 minutes later to move my gfs car around the block (admiring the bike in the process) and came back 4 minutes later to find it gone...

Long story short, Im pretty devastated...I didnt think Id be so attached but I just want my bike back...if you dont have some sort of anti-theft system, def go buy one and no matter where you leave it for no matter how long, make sure its protected...

Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 AM

This is happening more and more, sorry to hear that man I really feel for you.What is the best thing we can do short of chaining your frame to something? An alarm? Lo-Jack? Not to steal this thread but my house has a garage and at work my bike is ten feet away thru a window at my desk so its safe most of the time but I take it to the store, friend/family houses etc. so I want it to be safe as well as everyone does with their bike. Anyone have experience with alarms?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Yea I've always heard stories but you never think its gonna happen to you...especially not within 4 mintues while youre literally around the block...

Old 04-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Its getting ridiculous. Have you talked to your insurance company? You should at least get a check for the bikes book value...

Old 04-06-2010, 10:54 AM

Man thats blows !!! Did u trying going to find it ? Even thou you gone for 4 minutes they could've only been gone for 30 secs.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear man.

These A-holes tend to drive around in mini vans with no rear seats in them. They pull along-side, slide open the door, and swoop up the bike in about 10 seconds tops. Only takes 2 guys to drag it in.

Unfortunatly insurance companies wait 30 days after a bike is reported stolen to pay a claim in case it turns up. Most likely if it does turn up it won't be in the same shape as you last saw it.

Always always always chain it up or park it so it's not easily accessible.

good luck man

Last edited by Sick97SS; 04-06-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by shawnyc01f4i
Its getting ridiculous. Have you talked to your insurance company? You should at least get a check for the bikes book value...
Yea I called them right away. They asked me what I paid for the bike at the dealer and said if I can send them a copy of the receipt. Hopefully that means I will get close to what I paid which would be great. Otherwise I'd probably be out like 1.5k...I looked up the KBB value and its about 5k so even if I get that I'd be happy

Originally Posted by dmcb2120
Man thats blows !!! Did u trying going to find it ? Even thou you gone for 4 minutes they could've only been gone for 30 secs.
It was out of my sight for literally 4 mintues...some guy in the apt above it said he was able to see 3 guys just wheeling it down the street. I called the cops right away and after asking that witness a few questions, we took a ride in the squad car looking around for it but by that time like 20 mintues had already passed...

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
Sorry to hear man.

These A-holes tend to drive around in mini vans with no rear seats in them. They pull along-side, slide open the door, and swoop up the bike in about 10 seconds tops. Only takes 2 guys to drag it in.

Unfortunatly insurance companies wait 30 days after a bike is reported stolen to pay a claim in case it turns up. Most likely if it does turn up it won't be in the same shape as you last saw it.

Always always always chain it up or park it so it's not easily accessible.

good luck man
Yea I had seen videos of guys pulling up to a bike and loading it in a van or truck but the guy who saw them wheeling it away said they just casually rolled it down the street. They might have just pulled to a side street where a van might have been waiting for it but who knows...at this point I have to wait like 20 days to see if it shows up and you're right, Im not sure I'd want it back after this whole thing...All I can do now is wait to see how much I'll get back for it...

Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! That is so crazy! Did you have the steering locked? I'm lucky that I have mine locked in the garage... but wow.. that blows... I hope you either get it back perfect or at least get enough coin to buy another one..

Adam

Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
Wow! That is so crazy! Did you have the steering locked? I'm lucky that I have mine locked in the garage... but wow.. that blows... I hope you either get it back perfect or at least get enough coin to buy another one..

Adam

Yea I sure did have it locked. But check out how easy it is to break the lock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVtKYBt5Q0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_mJVllxKI

Old 04-06-2010, 01:08 PM

wow def makes me want to buy an alarm for my bike after reading all this.