F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Checking the Front Fork for any damages

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking the Front Fork for any damages

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at picking up a pair of F4i front forks. I was wonder if anyone would be able to tell me what is the best way to check for any damages to the forks or inner tubes. I did try and google or even check on youtube but didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for your help
BB

Old 01-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Default RE: Checking the Front Fork for any damages

Checking for bends/damage/problems to forks after you buy them or are you buying them in person? Ive been unlucky and lucky with buying forks of ebay. Try to find the flattest surface youcan and roll them like you would if you were trying to find a straight pool cue.

You can also hang them by a string or cord or thin piece of rope and let them rotate while looking down at the fork.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:04 PM

if you can see them in person, i'd ask the seller to go with you to a dealer, they can check the runout of the fork tubes and damping rods with some v blocks and a dial caliper
otherwise just a visual inspection for any surface scarring inside the tubes
if they are already assembled, there's not much you can do besides a visual inspection and looking at the fork seals to see if they're leaking

also i'd pull up a fische and print off the page on forks just to make sure you are getting everything you need to reassemble them
the last thing you want is for something to be missing and have to spend extra money and waste time

Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: bwayers

if you can see them in person, i'd ask the seller to go with you to a dealer, they can check the runout of the fork tubes and damping rods with some v blocks and a dial caliper
otherwise just a visual inspection for any surface scarring inside the tubes
if they are already assembled, there's not much you can do besides a visual inspection and looking at the fork seals to see if they're leaking

also i'd pull up a fische and print off the page on forks just to make sure you are getting everything you need to reassemble them
the last thing you want is for something to be missing and have to spend extra money and waste time
Thanks for the response...The forks are already assembled...I have attach the pictures that the seller has sent me...He did meantion tha they just had new fork seals a couple of months ago.

[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q.../F4iForks2.jpg [/IMG]
[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q.../F4iForks3.jpg [/IMG]

Old 01-19-2009, 03:41 PM

If this is a long distance transaction like an ebay sale or something then good luck. They might be alright, who knows. Ive got an F4i front end I could reassemble and say its straight and sell on ebay right now. It happens to be wrecked though.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 PM

The Seller has agreed to meet me at a motorcycle shop so they can check the front forks. If they are good I will give him the cash.

Thanks again everyone who responded