F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Check out my problem(s)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out my problem(s)

My 02 f4i is giving me problems, maybe someone here can help. First of all, the bike has 19,xxx miles. So, I bought this bike from my friend, and the chain tensioner was broken. So, I had another friend of mine change out the tensioner, and do a full tune-up. After he did all the work, he took it for a spin. He then reported to me that it was running funny. So, I rode the bike around the next day, and this is what happened. When the bike is cold, she rides pretty well. Although, at initial acceleration she stumbles a bit. When you get to about 2k then she's smooth all the way. Now, it gets interesting. When the bike gets to operating temp that's when all hell breaks loose. She starts to die out, and the only way to ride her, is to rev it to 4-5k, and just keep going. Now, my friend told me it could be several things. I was told, that my tank has rust inside of it, and it's pressurizing too much, causing it to hydra lock. He also did some voltage testing, and my bike was only getting 13 volts, even when being revved at 5k. According to the fsm, it should be at 14-15.5v.
We went through the wiring, and although it could be neater, we couldn't find anything, that really required attention. Now, would it be safe to assume, that my recitifer is going bad? Also, could my tank be adding to the problem? According to my fsm, my bike requires iridium plugs, but my friend had ngk-r's that he put in. Could this also be a problem? Something else I forgot to mention is, when I took off my undertail, and the rectifier was exposed, the bike no longer randomly died out, like it did earlier in the day. The voltage was still low, though. Any ideas?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Default RE: Check out my problem(s)

rust in the tank is from being w/o gas in it all winter......as for the electrical problems, i would first start off by checking the stator and make sure everything is fine there, also pull ur battery and put it on a tender for a few hours to see if that makes a difference.....

Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 AM

Change out the plugs and then take it from there. Mine was starting to fowl up twards the end of the season, only a long hard ride was the cure for that. New plugs comming soon.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 PM

But, the plugs are brand new. Why take them out? I already ordered a rectifier, and stator, just gotta wait for them to come in.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Ok, here is an update. I bought a rectifier off an 05, and slapped it on today, hoping that it was the problem. It wasn't, and now i'm getting pissed. Luckily, I ordered a new stator coil as well, and i'm going to put that in, once it gets here. Has anyone here had problems, with the cam sensor, and/or pulse generator? Also, I put in a brand new battery, so that can't be it. I'm getting fresh out of ideas.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 AM

my f4i was starting to get real jerky while riding especially at low rpms. it would also stall out randomly. it would even start itself back up after stalling and shoot flames out of my exhaust. all i had to do to solve the problem was tighten my battery cables. they were both pretty tight to begin with but after a guy on this forum told me a bad connection might be the problem i tightened even more and it fixed the problem instantly.
goodluck
_zac

Old 12-14-2007, 11:21 AM

My battery connection is good. What I am going to do though, is extend the ground wire, to get a better ground connection. Heard that helps extend the life of the charging system.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 AM

Ok, here's another update. A Honda motorcycle tech, heard my bike today, and told me what my problem is. It's fuel. Since, I have rust in the tank, something must have gotten into the fuel system. He did a test with some carb cleaner, and told me that the 2nd injector is not working properly. So, i'm gonna redo the fuel system, and see how that works out.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:52 AM

Ok, i'm so sick of my bike, i'm ready to give up. Since, the Honda tech told me my #2 injector wasn't firing, I bought a complete throttle body, off of a good running f4i. Swapped it out, even changed the fuel pressure regulator, emptied out the gas, and put new gas in. Then, this is what happened: Started up the bike, and let her idle. When she got to operating temp, I blipped the throttle, and she did the same thing. She would putt, putt, putt, then rev good. It's sounds like she is sucking too much air, and not getting enough fuel? I haven't changed out the fuel filter, which i'm going to do. Also, my friends saw a vacumm line, that wasn't connected. When he blocked it with his finger, he said it would suck, and blow air. Looked it up in the service manual, and it connects to the air cleaner. There are actually 2 vacumm lines, that cross each other. Here's another problem as well: When you rev up the bike, it takes a few seconds, to go back to idle. Please help me, I am running out of ideas, and I can't afford to put anymore money into parts, that aren't broken.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:01 AM

Change the plugs as was stated before. You could still have a bad plug even though they are all new.... Or bite the bullet and take it to a honda shop and pay the prices to get it completly checked out and fixed properly that way if it starts actin up again you can raise hell with them rather than beat yourself up about it.

Dont give up on the bike. Everything is fixable one way or another on these things. Even if it costs a litlle more $$$ than what you expected, It will be well worth it in the long run.

Quick Reply: Check out my problem(s)